walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cateran Hill from Eglingham

Cateran Hill from Eglingham

Postby JonetCol » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:38 pm

Date walked: 24/04/2021

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 270m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Lovely walk, sunny day, cool & gentle breeze. Aim was to recce Eglingham/Bewick Moor area, look for route to link to Quarry House and - if time - look at Cateran Hole. Didn't reach the 'hole' but now have better idea of area, so will bag another day.

The rough tarmac road, heading due N from Eglingham to just after Tarry, was unexpectedly and relentlessly steep, but it easesd then levelled from the trig pillar atop Eglingham Moor. The views then began to open up, across the wide, high moor ahead - and behind to Simonside and the Cheviots. From the pillar, it's a hardcored track for a k or so to a gate. After the gate, the track heads NE for Hagden Farm, but the Cateran/Quarry House trail is a quad bike path N.

The going was good, but the dips were boggy, even in the recent dry spell. The aura is stunning! It's a wild, lonely place with no cattle and surpisingly few sheep. Even better, there are really wide ranging views across the plateau of the Moor - and not another soul in sight!!! I headed N towards a fenced, mature, plantation. It would have been a good place to stop, as the collapsed dry stone wall offered a crude picnic area. I pressed on N to a fence, and beyond to a cairn, from which I hoped to be able to identify a path to Quarry House. Sadly there was no obvious route and QH was on the next OS map N so I wasn't able to guarantee navigation. I wasn't too bothered as I'd only come to look for a route and not to land at QH. I was also consoled by great views to the N & NW, across QH Moor, Hepburn Moor and beyond to Ros Castle.

I returned to the fence, to follow it on partial path to the track just below the lower cairn on Cateran Hill. A clear, if narrow path led me to the Summit Cairn. I was now pushing my time limit (to be in time for my lift home) so I had a quick search of the NNW slopes for Cateran Hole. No joy! After a quick lunch, I headed SE to pick up the trail back to Eglingham. The Moor may have little height, but it has it's own magic and is well worth a return
JonetCol
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland