walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lake District: Troutbeck Tongue

Lake District: Troutbeck Tongue

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Wed May 05, 2021 5:15 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Troutbeck Tongue

Date walked: 27/04/2021

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 500m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This turned out to be a very pleasant, if short in duration, walk. I really enjoyed it. The fell itself may be ascended very quickly from Troutbeck Park Farm, but what makes this outing is the very pleasant walk in along the valley using bridleway from Troutbeck, acessed via Limefitt Park. The well made bridleway, which ultimately leads to High Street, takes a line along the hillside sufficiently high above the valley to afford excellent views of, and across, it. This path does undulate quite a bit, 150m of ascent and decent are gained and lost each way, contributing significantly to the overall height gained during the walk.
Troutbeck Tongue 00.jpg
Troutbeck Tongue seen on the approach from the bridleway

Troutbeck Tongue 01.jpg
Troutbeck Tongue

Once the Tongue is reached just beyond Troutbeck Park Farm drop down to the bridge that crosses the river and then negotiate a couple of gates and a stile before a short, sharp ascent to the summit cairn.
Troutbeck Tongue 02 summit cairn.jpg
Summit cairn

Lake Windermere may be seen in the distance between Caudale Moor and Thornthwaite Crag.
It is possible to return along the valley bottom or to just retrace your steps. I choose to do the latter as I had really enjoyed the walk in.
Troutbeck Tongue 03 view back to towards the bridleway.jpg
Looking back towards Troutdale from the Tongue

This route also had the not inconsiderable advantage of taking me back past the Haybarn Inn at Limefitt Park which was serving some very good local cask ales. The food looked good too. A really good short day!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Length: 6 miles 9.8 km Ascent: + 522m
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland