walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lake District Langdale: Sergeant Man and Blea Rigg

Lake District Langdale: Sergeant Man and Blea Rigg

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Thu May 06, 2021 5:39 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blea Rigg, Sergeant Man

Date walked: 28/04/2021

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 8.6 km

Ascent: 745m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A very pleasant walk up from the New Dungeon Ghyll following the well made path up alongside Millbeck to Stickle Tarn. Clearly the lack of hillwalkers in recent weeks has not gone unnoticed by the wildlife. I've lost count of the number of times that I've been up here over the past 50 years, but I don't recall seeing Goosander up here before. It would be nice to think that they might stick around.

Once the path up towards Sergeant Man was taken the number of hillwalkers reduced significantly and it's a very pleasant walk with a surprisingly remote feel about it, at least until the ridge is reached. I found locating the precise summit of Blea Rigg a little confusing. There are many higher points on the ridge between Wainwright's summit and Sergeant Man.
w Blea Rigg.jpg
Approaching Blea Rigg summit from along the Sergeant Man ridge.

Nevertheless it's a pleasant walk on good paths, but it's not, as far as I'm concerned, a very distinct summit. I could have chosen better for my 200th Wainwright summit, but as a fell walk it provided a very enjoyable outing.
w Blea Rigg summit.jpg
Blea Rigg summit looking across to the Langdale Pikes.

I returned by way of Stickle Tarn and Millbeck. A pint and a bite to eat at the bottom wrapped up the day nicely.

Length: 5.34 miles 8.60 km Ascent: +745m -748m c. 2,450' Naismith: 2h 58m
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland