walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lake District: Eagle Crag, Sergeant's Crag and High Raise

Lake District: Eagle Crag, Sergeant's Crag and High Raise

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Sat May 08, 2021 7:31 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Eagle Crag, High Raise (Central Fells), Sergeant's Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: High Raise (Central Fells)

Date walked: 29/04/2021

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 21.5 km

Ascent: 970m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a walk that I had been very much looking forward to completing for some time. I'd intended to do it on my last visit to the Lakes, but on that occasion the weather had been dreadful. It was much much better today, much colder but drier and with far better visibility.
The map, mor or less, shows the route that I actually took on the day. It's for my records, it's not a recommendation, at least as far as the start is concerned. I blithely set off from just outside Stonethwaite on the Langstrath path (the one I would be returning on,) ignoring the fact that I really needed to cross the Stonethwaite Bridge and get onto the Coast to Coast path in order to approach Eagle Crag from the side that I intended to climb it. It's a very nice walk, but I was fortunate that I was able to find a way across Stonethwaite Beck (the water level was very low) otherwise I'd have put rather more distance on my walk. I also took the well made path that crosses Martcrag Moor, (not indicated by my plots".)
01 Eagle Crag from Stonethwaite.jpg
Eagle Crag from Stonethwaite.

02 Eagle Crag from above Stonethwaite Beck.jpg
Eagle Crag from above Stonethwaite Beck (on the right path!)

I'd already decided not to tackle Eagle Crag direct, the weather was cold and windy, with snow and rain showers forecast, especially as I was on my own. The route around the back of Pounsey Crag was straightforward enough, no problems. A couple who arrived on the summit having taken the direct route arrived somewhat ashen-faced. Clearly that route's not for everyone.
03 Looking back towards Stonethwaite from above Greenup Gill.jpg
Looking back towards Stonethwaite from above Greenup Gill on the slopes of Eagle Crag.

04 Eagle Crag summit towards Stonethwaite.jpg
Eagle Crag summit looking back towards Stonethwaite.

The way on to Sergeant's Crag looks impressive, but if you stick to the wall, (don't cross it,) and follow it for most of the way it's fine.
05  Sergeants Crag from Eagle Crag.jpg
Sergeants Crag from Eagle Crag

The walk on to High Raise, about a mile and a half away, is a vary straightforward walk, although the path is a little indistinct in places, probably due to the number of options.
07 High Raise summit.jpg
High Raise summit cairn

The obvious return route is to descend by way of Greenup Gill to Stonethwaite, however I have been walking the Cumbrian Way (both the main route and the mountain alternatives) doing one section at a time and hadn't completed the section from the top of the Stake Pass down Langstrath to Stonethwaite. This was a good opportunity to complete it. As a result I dropped down by way of Martcrag Moor to the top of the pass.
10 Borrowdale from Stake Pass.JPG
Borrowdale from the top of Stake Pass looking down Langstrath.

The path is much longer on the ground than it appears on the map. This section of the Cumbrian Way has a well engineered path that descends by means of a considerable number of "hairpin " zigzags to the valley bottom.
Quite a long day, and fairly tiring (but then I am nearly 70, and was walking on my own) but a really good one. A brilliant end to my week in the lakes. :)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Length: 13 miles 21.5 km Ascent: +970m Naismith: 5h 35m
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland