walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dale Head Horseshoe - 5 Wainwrights

Dale Head Horseshoe - 5 Wainwrights

Postby susanmyatt » Sun May 17, 2009 2:19 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Cat Bells, Dale Head, High Spy, Hindscarth, Maiden Moor

Hewitts included on this walk: Dale Head, High Spy, Hindscarth

Date walked: 17/05/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello again, the saturdays soon come around and with poor weather forecasts everywhere our Commander decided the best chance was the North Lakes, so off we set early. We breakfasted in Keswick and would start our walk from there at GR NY 266 233, our aim was the Dale Head Horseshoe which with the ascent would give us an idea for our Three Peaks walk on June 6th. Below should be a first, the walk map

Dalehead_Horseshoe.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As we left Keswick we walked around Derwent Water and got our first sight of the misty Catbells.
1.jpg
Catbells

As we climb Skelgill Bank, the first rise, we start to get the views over Derwent Water.
2.jpg
Derwent Water

Looking across to Little Town and its backdrop.
3.jpg
Little Town, and our descent route

The gang on the summit of Catbells at 451m.
4.jpg
Catbells summit

The view towards Maiden Moor.
5.jpg
Towards Maiden Moor

There were some great views as the weather cleared.
6.jpg
Views to the north west

Yours truly on the way to Maiden Moor
7.jpg
Yours truly

Looking back to Catbells, Derwent Water and Blencathra.
8.jpg
Superb views

Things never go without a hitch, I was having trouble zipping my waterproofs so it was Commander Conroy to the rescue, what would we do without him :lol:
9.jpg
Surgery on the waterproofs

Our third summit was High Spy at 653m.
10.jpg
High Spy summit

We then had a bite to eat before tackling the steep summit of Dale Head at 753m.
11.jpg
Dale Head summit

Our last Wainwright would be Hindscarth at 727m, but there are three Birketts on the way off.
12.jpg
Hindscarth summit

There were now some great views towards the Buttermere valley, where we could see Fleetwith Pike, Haystacks, the High Stile range and Honister's Via Ferrata.
13.jpg
Fleetwith Pike, High Stile range
14.jpg
Honisters Via Ferrata

Now we were on the way down, going over High Crags and Scope End.
15.jpg
Route off

When we got back to the bottom of Skelgill we still had three miles to Keswick, it was a tired bunch that arrived back at the vehicles, but we had answered some questions about our durability, 15.4 miles in nearly 9 hours, good job we had a good breakfast, here's the proof as the Commander and G.I.Jane tuck in :lol: :lol: :lol:
16.jpg
Brekky at Booths
Last edited by susanmyatt on Mon May 18, 2009 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: Dalehead Horseshoe - 5 Wainwrights

Postby Paul Webster » Sun May 17, 2009 6:34 pm

Another person who has added a map 8)

That round - which I've always called the Newlands Round, is probably my favourite walk in the Lake District. OK it has a slightly dull bit after Maiden Moor but Cat Bells deserves its popularity and the Scope End ridge is great too. I've never walked to it from Keswick, though :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby susanmyatt » Sun May 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Hi Paul, don't know if Newlands Round is with Robinson, got the name from the chap who puts his walks on Striding Edge.net, as he lives in the area I bowed to his knowledge, forgot to add that we saw Sir Chris Bonington when we were going back to Keswick near the boat jettys. It was a good way and perhaps a boat ride to the base of Catbells or the excellent bus service is the other option to cut the distance to 10 miles, thanks for a great site Paul. :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Sun May 17, 2009 6:46 pm

No problem. Good to see your gang all looking as happy as ever :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby 37lumleyst » Sun May 17, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi Sue – I always look forwards the end of the W/E simply because I know there will be another great posting from you and your party.

Great to read your post about Dale Head – this is an area of the Lakes that I know exceptionally well which makes viewing your report even better. It looks like you had the best of the weather so your ‘Commander’ clearly knows his mountain weather.

Great report Sue – thanks.

Regards,

Paul
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Re: Dale Head Horseshoe - 5 Wainwrights

Postby susanmyatt » Mon May 18, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks Paul, I know how lucky we are to be able to get out each week, rain or shine we will be somewhere :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby yokehead » Tue May 19, 2009 7:27 pm

Another fine report Susan and more hills ticked off. 8) Are you sure it was zipping your waterproofs in your photo, looks more like some strange sort of tickling rite to me! :lol:
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby susanmyatt » Wed May 20, 2009 12:44 pm

Yes, I can't help laughing and having fun, that's what the days on the hill are all about. Yes, the Wainwright total is slowly rising, will be going for a holiday to the Lake District in June so weather permitting I could do it some serious damage. Glad you like the reports, I know many members are our cousins from North of the border and some of the hills are small to them but I think the Lakes is a lovely area. We are winding ourseves up for the 24 miler on June 6th :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby 37lumleyst » Wed May 20, 2009 2:59 pm

I agree that our hills are indeed smaller than our friends North of the boarder :( but none the less they are spectacular and can be as challenging.
susanmyatt wrote:I know many members are our cousins from North of the border and some of the hills are small to them but I think the Lakes is a lovely area.

I would imagine that like most people on this forum that don’t live in Scotland we have to make the best of what is available to us.

I would love to live in the Highlands but there again; the English lakes are a cracking substitute none the less :)

Good luck with the 24 miler too - looking forwards to that report already :lol:
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland