walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wasdale Wainwright trio - Middle Fell, Seatallan, Buckbarrow

Wasdale Wainwright trio - Middle Fell, Seatallan, Buckbarrow

Postby gld73 » Sat May 15, 2021 11:35 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Buckbarrow, Middle Fell, Seatallan

Hewitts included on this walk: Seatallan

Date walked: 12/05/2021

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 9.3 km

Ascent: 750m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Nice, straightforward circular walk from Greendale (home of Joss Naylor!), up Middle Fell, down and up to Seatallan, then along and down to Buckbarrow. Enjoyable walk following a trodden path most of the time, which was useful as I was in cloud for a fair chunk of the route (nice chance to practice map and compass work in a benign environment!). Would probably get spectacular views on a clear day, but still an enjoyable half day out today.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC8227.JPG
View of the ascent route up Middle Fell from the parking area at Greendale

APDC8228.JPG
..and Buckbarrow from the parking area

APDC8229.JPG
Looking back down on Greendale and across Wastwater to the screes

APDC8231.JPG
Looking north to cloud covered Seatallan from ascent of Middle Fell

APDC8235.JPG
Middle Fell summit, no views of the Scafells today though

APDC8237.JPG
Descending Middle Fell's northern slopes to Seatallan, coming and going from the cloud

APDC8239.JPG
By the time I was heading up Seatallan and looked back over Greendale Tarn, Middle Fell was smothered in a cloud too

APDC8240.JPG
Seatallan's trig and big cairn

APDC8242.JPG
Took a walk over to the small cairn to the north east too as it looked slightly higher, though maybe it was just marking a good viewpoint on a clearer day

APDC8245.JPG
Most of the easy grassy descent from Seatallan to Cat Bields was in the clag and I couldn't see a thing, but I was out of it by the time I got to the cairn at Glade How (looking back North from it here)

APDC8244.JPG
Sellafield visible to the west

APDC8246.JPG
Buckbarrow summit cairn looking south to Wastwater, Whin Rigg and Illgill Head - views at last...

APDC8248.JPG
...south east, though the Scafells still mainly hidden

APDC8247.JPG
...and north back to the route taken (Middle Fell on the right, Seatallan on the left)

APDC8249.JPG
Herdwick lambs, black at this age, looking nothing like their white legged, white faced, grey woolled parents!

APDC8251.JPG
Descending to Greendale Gill (map says gill rather than ghyll...)

APDC8252.JPG
Looking back up Greendale Gill, with the initial ascent route up Middle Fell on the right

APDC8253.JPG
Reaching Greendale again, no shortage of beautiful dry stone walls in the hamlet
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland