walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Coledale Round, 9 Wainwrights mostly in clag

The Coledale Round, 9 Wainwrights mostly in clag

Postby gld73 » Sat May 15, 2021 2:59 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Barrow, Causey Pike, Eel Crag, Grasmoor, Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Outerside, Sail, Wandope

Hewitts included on this walk: Causey Pike, Crag Hill (Eel Crag), Grasmoor, Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Sail, Wandope

Date walked: 14/05/2021

Time taken: 6.6

Distance: 20.65 km

Ascent: 1700m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The cloud was meant to lift late morning, but it didn't, so most of the walk was done in thick clag, visibility of just a few metres. Fortunately there were good paths, though some of the summits had cairns and others didn't, and there were cairns on high points which weren't summits, so that was a bit confusing. I did get out map and compass a few times as well as checking GRS co-ordinates to see where I was, as I couldn't see anything around me to help identify where I was other than knowing I was usually on a path! Mild and practically no wind, just all grey until the last couple of hills (descending back from Causey Pike cloud started to lift, then Outerside and Barrow were clear). In a way, it worked out well, I never realised until the end just how epic the horsehoe was (the higher mountains kept their tops in the cloud even by late afternoon, but still looked impressive), it might have looked quite daunting if I'd been able to see where I was going?! A great walk this, with flexibility to cut it short (as some people did today, not that it was busy anyway), or to add detours out to other nearby hills.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Can't remember with 100% certainty if I got the right summits matched with the right names on these photos, and I maybe didn't take photos of all 9 anyway given the utter lack of views..
APDC8254.JPG
Path up from the parking area at the start of the route

APDC8255.JPG
Looking back down on Bassenthwaite Lake and over to Skiddaw after the first little bit of ascent. I was still hoping this mid morning cloud would disappear as per the forecast ...

APDC8256.JPG
Looking back on my way up Kinn, this was to be the extent of my views for the next 4 or 5 hours as it turned out

APDC8257.JPG
Grisedale Pike

APDC8259.JPG
Hobcarton Crag maybe...

APDC8260.JPG

APDC8261.JPG
Hopegill Head maybe? (I know I went to all the summits, just can't remember looking at my photos now what was what!)

APDC8262.JPG
The large shelter cairn at Grasmoor's summit

APDC8263.JPG
Crag Hill trig pillar and cairn

APDC8264.JPG
Sail summit

APDC8265.JPG
Ridge path across Scar Crags towards Causey Pike

APDC8266.JPG
This was the first time that cloud cleared slightly (just on one side) and I could see that I was actually quite high up compared to the Rigg Beck valley below me to the south

APDC8267.JPG
Kept going over what seemed like summits with cairns, but none were the actual summit - eventually got to the end of the ridge which I think is where the actual summit is? Apparently Causey Pike is a great viewpoint. Not today.

APDC8269.JPG
Descending north west down across the northern slopes of Causey Pike into High Moss, I got my first proper view - Outerside on the left (my next target), Stile End in the middle, Barrow on the right (last hill of my route today)

APDC8270.JPG
Looking back from the lower slopes of Outerside over to Causey Pike (narrow path I'd taken down just about visible if you look closely)

APDC8272.JPG
Outerside summit

APDC8274.JPG
Stile End and Barrow, the last leg of the walk

APDC8275.JPG
The only moment of the day that the cloud lifted from Grisedale Pike (Coledale Beck in the valley below)

APDC8276.JPG
Looking down Coledale Beck and over to Kinn, the first minor top I'd gone over today, Braithwaite the village in the photo (Skiddaw in the background, still not clear)

APDC8278.JPG
The nearest I got to a view of the full horseshoe all day - looking west from near the top of Barrow, Causey Pike on the left and Outerside in the centre of picture, plus (less clearly) all the other hills and tops I'd been over

APDC8281.JPG
Barrow summit looking down to Derwentwater

APDC8283.JPG
Pano from Barrow summit area of the Coledale Round - initial ascent up Kinn on the far right, Causey Pike on the left, summits of Grisedale Pike (centre rear) and Grasmoor (rear, left of centre) in cloud

APDC8286.JPG
Final descent, down Barrow to Braithwaite
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: The Coledale Round, 9 Wainwrights mostly in clag

Postby Coop » Wed May 31, 2023 7:31 pm

Fantastic route
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland