walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Eglingham - Quarry House - Cateran Hill incl 'the Hole'

Eglingham - Quarry House - Cateran Hill incl 'the Hole'

Postby JonetCol » Fri May 21, 2021 3:10 pm

Date walked: 14/05/2021

Time taken: 3.2

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 270m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

From the SP at Eglingham Xrd, it was the usual steep ascent up Tarry Rd, past the farm and Egm Hill trig pillar, then across the level moor top, to a gate in a stone wall. I left the hard cored farm track to follow a grass path N towards a square shaped wood.

It was a dry day with light cloud, but recent rains had left the ground boggy in the hollows. From the wood I continued N 500m to a gate in a fence. From here I headed 3-400m NNE to a side path to a cairn on the NE flank of Cateran Hill. There were good views from here to Quarry House, the radio masts and Ros Hill. As I descended a faint path N I was joined by a pair of Greylag Geese who flew alongside me for a while. After appx 600m the path petered out in a marsh, which looked like a silted up river bed, extending for yards E & W. I could find no dry crossing so 'plodged' across the tussocks, frequently sinking ankle deep into peaty water. I emerged on to a stretch of burnt heather to continue N onto the QH road. I must have bruised my R foot because the pad on the sole behind my toes was sore. Walking along the metalled road didn't help, but the grass verge was mostly even, so I used it to cover the mile W to the sp for a track to Old Bewick. Although it's a metalled road (single track) there is a grand feeling of isolation out here.

I took the track SSW across the Moor. A pair off cuckoos flew by, 'cuckooing' incessantly, en route for Halfcrownhall woods. On reaching a waymarker at the foot of the W flank of Cateran Hill, I ascended a track SE, to a barely recognisable path which led E to Cateran hole. Having viewed ' the Hole' I returned, by an even fainter path, to the main track to the summit cairn. I had a quick lunch here, enjoying the 360 views as I did so.

From the cairn, it was a gentle stroll SSE across the moor, to pick up the outbound path S of the wood and return to the hardcored track back to Eglingham.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

`
JonetCol
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland