walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Marlborough to Pewsey

Marlborough to Pewsey

Postby Lejogplodder » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:35 pm

Date walked: 16/03/2011

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 17.7 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Part of the Marlborough downs and Pewsey vale in a fog turning to mist day, plenty of interesting features along the way including Avebury ring, Silbury hill, west kennet long barrow and a chalk horse, more detail map and video clips on my blog.
Avebury ditch and bank.JPG
Avebury ditch and bank.JPG
Chalk horse.JPG
Attachments
Silbury hill.jpg
Lejogplodder

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3

Re: Marlborough to Pewsey

Postby tango » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Excellent snaps i used to live in Swindon so these areas i have visited numerous times, Have you ever done the Ridgeway ? thats nice 100 mile walk.. Also worth a visit is Wayland Smithy.. :D
tango

Postby Lejogplodder » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:35 pm

i've only been over a few small sections of the ridgeway, thanks for the suggestion of waylands smithy as that gives me an idea for a different walk from Lambourne.
Cheers J.P.
Lejogplodder

Postby tango » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:12 am

Yeah there is a walk called the White Horse way too, i done it 10 years ago.. its all the white horses in the area "funny that" :? .. I think you can get the booklet from any tourist info centre maybe Devizes.. thats a nice walk , i got picked up by the Missus every day..its about 80 miles all round Salisbury Plain,Cherhill, Pewsy, Marlborough,Devizes. i cant remember much more apart from it rained all the time.. :D . take care.
tango

Postby Lejogplodder » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:53 pm

More thanks for the info, the more i look at maps the more paths that look atractive appear, i will certainly be back in that area as soon as the opportunity (time) allows.
Cheers J.P.
Lejogplodder

Postby tango » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:31 am

John i had a quick browse over your link looks very interesting!!!.. Ill read it in full when i have time :) .. So are you walking Britain bit by bit?. or doing it as a 1er? Either way a bet youve seen some interesting things on route,I used to do a bit of long distance walking & i find it amazing where you end up! canals,pub beer gardens,moors,cities, every peoples back gardens!!.. Well john you enjoy & send in more walking reports if you get a chance!! its nice to see a different look on Britain!! Cheers Terry
tango

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland