walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Shunner Fell, Lovely Seat and a bit of bogtrotting.

Great Shunner Fell, Lovely Seat and a bit of bogtrotting.

Postby colgregg » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:31 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Shunner Fell, Lovely Seat

Date walked: 17/03/2011

Time taken: 6

Distance: 17 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Great Shunner was never really on my radar until I read Paulo's report and Red Peaks comments http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10192 . Red Peaks walk got me interested and finally today I got the chance to do it. The Pennine way from Hardraw is Easy to follow as it firstly follows an old mine track before entering High Abbotside Common towards Hearne top. Once open ground is reached the well defined path gently rises north along a ridge to reach the summit with the first 4.5 miles completed. Great Shunner is popular, being on the Pennine Way, and several sections of the path have been paved over the boggier sections which makes route finding a doddle. Without the paving it could be a miserable trek in the wet and mist which was now surrounding me. In good conditions there would be some good all round views from the summit but today visibility was down to around 50ft.
Lunch over It was simply a case of following the fence east via Little Shunner Fell and the road Between Hawes and Thwaite. Lovely Seat is next and it is simply a case of heading straight up the hill following the boundary fence until the summit is reached. The "seat" has suffered a bit and is definitely not comfortable to sit on. As cairn building seems to be a hobby round these parts maybe someone might volunteer to repair it.
Now sensible walkers, having bagged the summit, would turn round and head back for the road and solid ground. those determined to complete their planned itinery will turn South to spend half an hour or so bogtrotting over the desolate moorland before reaching firm ground and a good track. The track leads down to Sedbusk passing through Shutt Gate
( misspelt instruction?) and Shutt Lane. Time was short so I simply headed down the steep slopes from two cairns, which are good viewpoints for Hawes, returning to Hardraw via Englands highest above ground, unbroken drop, waterfall, Hardraw Force.
013.JPG
Path to Great Shunner Fell

022.JPG
Summit, Great Shunner Fell

038.JPG
The Buttertubs Pass

047.JPG
A clear Shunner Fell from Lovely Seat.

055.JPG
Hawes and Wensleydale from Abbotside Common.

082.JPG
Hardraw Force
Last edited by colgregg on Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Great Shunner Fell, Lovely Seat and a bit of bogtrotting.

Postby icemandan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:50 pm

Does the pub still charge you to see the waterfall?
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby colgregg » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:58 pm

Yes. They are building a new Heritage centre behind so I'm assuming you would no longer go through the pub but pay there. On exiting it looks like they are making you go through what I assume will be the gift shop, crafty buggers!! I must own up to nipping over a wall above the falls as it was on my way back to Hardraw and following the gorge round to valley level before walking up to see them. "Well I didn't know it was private property Guv'nor"
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby PauloUK77 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:23 am

You had better views on your visit,so thats what Great Shunner Fell looks like from Lovely Seat. :lol:
Can't wait until June when I have a week booked at Hawkswick Cote Caravan Park.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby colgregg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:36 am

Yes. My mist on Great Shunner certainly looked more attractive than your's did. Hawkswick is Ideal for treks to Malham and the 3 peaks. Nice place to base yourself. Do you have anything planned as yet? I'm available for suggestions if you want ideas. I wouldn't describe my walk as a "classic" but it gave me a well needed legstretcher. Having said that it seems like I picked the wrong day to go walking as there will be a day of blue skies up our way tomorrow. Maybe the Mrs will look kindly on me and suggest I take advantage of the weather and get myself out.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby tango » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:03 am

Good report there, I do like the photos. :D Ive still got to do Lovely Seat, its on my radar but its just a matter of time.. never enough!! :( . It couldn't of taken you long to get there living in Richmond area. what an hour??. Ive done Great Shunner Fell i went over to High Seat & around that area, thats were i nearly drowned in a bog well maybe not drowned but it felt like it!!!!!!!!! :lol: Up to my waist. not good for the surrounding area by the time id finished swearing the whole of North Yorkshire probably had heard me!! :shock: .Im shooting up past your end of the world in April on route to the North Pennines...report to follow..
tango

Postby susanmyatt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:08 am

Great report, not been to this area,looks really good, the "bogtrotting" in the title had me woried at first :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby colgregg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:06 am

tango wrote:Good report there, I do like the photos. :D Ive still got to do Lovely Seat, its on my radar but its just a matter of time.. never enough!! :( . It couldn't of taken you long to get there living in Richmond area. what an hour??. Ive done Great Shunner Fell i went over to High Seat & around that area, thats were i nearly drowned in a bog well maybe not drowned but it felt like it!!!!!!!!! :lol: Up to my waist. not good for the surrounding area by the time id finished swearing the whole of North Yorkshire probably had heard me!! :shock: .Im shooting up past your end of the world in April on route to the North Pennines...report to follow..

It's only Half an hour to Hardraw so convenient. I'll do Rogans Seat next time I do a Swinner gill to Gunnerside gill walk as its an easy diversion. Lovely seat warrents no more than a 15 min walk and back from the roadside. At least it's another two summits bagged. There's some bleak stuff in the N.Pennines but looking at my Brothers pics from recent visits the wesward views to the Lakes, Solway, S.W. Scotland can be stunning.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby colgregg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:13 pm

susanmyatt wrote:Great report, not been to this area,looks really good, the "bogtrotting" in the title had me woried at first :lol:

You're not missing a great deal, summit wise. Maybe it's because I've spent my life here but I find some are very tedious walks. The views from the valleys upwards are possibly better. The "three peaks" have always been the walking magnets in the dales with plenty of interest along the way with routes and summits you aren't going to sink on.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby PauloUK77 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:37 pm

I have a packed week in June if I get to do what I would like to.Hewitts on my radar for that trip incude:
Great Whernside
Buckden Pike
Yockenthwaite Moor
Birks Fell
Darnbrook Fell
Fountains Fell
Pen Y Ghent
Plover Hill.
On top of that the Malham Cove and Gordale Scar walk.
Also to keep the kids happy visits to Brimham Rocks,Forbidden Corner,Lightwater Valley and Fountains/Bolten Abbey are planned.
There are not enough days so I will be doing some of my walking after a day out with the family.
Can't wait.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby colgregg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:37 pm

PauloUK77 wrote:I have a packed week in June if I get to do what I would like to.Hewitts on my radar for that trip incude:
Great Whernside
Buckden Pike
Yockenthwaite Moor
Birks Fell
Darnbrook Fell
Fountains Fell
Pen Y Ghent
Plover Hill.
On top of that the Malham Cove and Gordale Scar walk.
Also to keep the kids happy visits to Brimham Rocks,Forbidden Corner,Lightwater Valley and Fountains/Bolten Abbey are planned.
There are not enough days so I will be doing some of my walking after a day out with the family.
Can't wait.

Theres a good mix of Quickies and longer trips. Please don't think I'm questioning your knowledge of the area by suggesting you do Penyghent from Brackenbottom then include Plover Hill returning via hull pot. The route from Foxup, close to where you are staying is nowhere as good as you never get to see PG at it's best.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby PauloUK77 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:40 pm

I was planning on heading up Pen-y-Ghent from the south as it looks like a steep pull to the summit.Then head to Plover before heading down to near Foxup Beck and around the north eastern part of Plover.
If I have the energy there I was thinking of maybe Darnbrook and Fountains then back to start.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby colgregg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:51 am

PauloUK77 wrote:I was planning on heading up Pen-y-Ghent from the south as it looks like a steep pull to the summit.Then head to Plover before heading down to near Foxup Beck and around the north eastern part of Plover.
If I have the energy there I was thinking of maybe Darnbrook and Fountains then back to start.

And if not it looks to be a couple of hours on an evening to tick them off. I'm convinced that due to the popularity of the place there will be a relatively easy way off the S.W. edge of Plover avoiding the long loop round Foxup. In fact a quick look on google earth shows several "tracks" heading up the fell.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland