walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nantle Ridge

Nantle Ridge

Postby petem56 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Craig Cwm Silyn, Mynydd Drws-y-coed, Mynydd Tal-y-mignedd, Trum y Ddysgl

Date walked: 18/03/2011

Time taken: 9

Distance: 13.1 km

Ascent: 1m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Route

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

9am parked car on B4418 right at start of walk, set of through gate SW then W and followed well marked path up Y Garn, 1hr 20mins .

NIK_4153.jpg
View back to start and Snowdon.

Views were as you can see first class.

NIK_4154.jpg
The way ahead.

NIK_4155.jpg
The Scramble.

From Y Garn we headed WSW to Myndd Drws-y-coed for the scramble to the top.
For best scrambling we stayed on the ridge as much as possible. From top we then head SW then W to top of Trum y Dysgl. From top head SW then W again for easy walk to the top of Mynydd Tal-y-mignedd, 3hrs 30mins.

NIK_4159.jpg
The Oblisk

NIK_4158.jpg
Looking back to Trum y Dysgl.

After first lunch stop we then set off for Craig Cwm Silyn, follow ridge S then SW to Bwlch Dros-bern then skirted to the right of the ridge ahead to find path to top 5hrs.

NIK_4166.jpg
Myself on Craig Cwm Silyn.

After 2nd lunch retraced path to Bwlch Dros-bern then headed SE down hillside to head for Cwm Trwsgl. This section of route had few clear paths to follow and was quite hard work. once to the Quarry workings it was then just follow the path to Bwlch-y-Ddwy-elor and through the forest back to the start.

NIK_4199.jpg
Y Garn, Mynydd Drws-y-coed, Trum y Dysgl, Mynydd Tal-y-mignedd and Craig Cwm Silyn.
Last edited by petem56 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petem56
Mountain Walker

Munros:135   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:67   

Re: Nantle Ridge

Postby tango » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:06 pm

Pete some lovely photos here, I scrambled up that ridge years ago but in low cloud so its nice to see what it looks like cheers... :D .. I was on Trum y Ddysgl afew years ago & wind was that strong i couldnt complete my walk....thats going some.... :(
tango

Postby yokehead » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:31 pm

Great report and good to see that detail in your photos. 8) Looks like it would also be a fine trip when snow covered. This was on my list for a visit hopefully this year, thanks for giving me an extra incentive! :D
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby malky_c » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:53 pm

Great hills, these. I've done Y Garn, Mynydd Drws y Coed and Trum y Ddysgl many times, as they make a great short round from Beddgelert forest. Tended to do Craig Cwm Silyn from above Nantlle.

Great photos and looks like spring has fully kicked in down there 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Crawler » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:55 pm

I couldn't see a way up that scramble when I tried it and had to turn back :(
Crawler
Bird-watcher

Postby blueyed » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:57 pm

nice ridge :)) definitely to be added to my 'list' ;)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland