walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glyder Fach in glorious sunshine

Glyder Fach in glorious sunshine

Postby smirnie71 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:28 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Glyder Fach

Date walked: 19/03/2011

Time taken: 5

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 748m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

5.30am - Saturday morning the alarm eventually rouses me from a deep sleep.
Quick check of the mountain weather forecast and miraculously it still indicates there will be sun in Snowdonia so I shake my good lady awake and hustle downstairs half asleep making porridge and getting gear together.
6.45am - We finally hit the road, I have no idea what took so long this morning and am in a foul mood. This is not helped by having to stop twice to find a petrol station that's open.
8.45am - arrive and park at layby opposite Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel, famously the training headquarters of the first successful Everest climbing expedition in 1953. By now I'm so hacked off I forget to be scared about the impending walk which I've always perceived as being out of my reach.
9am - catch the sleeve of my brand new Mountain Equipment pro shell jacket on barbed wire. Great, it's got two tears in it - I almost cry with frustration. Not only that but the sun that was promised has gone into hiding behind a large bank of cloud which we are heading into. Whoever gave me the petulant child pills this morning has a lot to answer for as I storm off in the general direction of the Miners path.

The path initially takes us over a steel bridge through grass and bog, over a stile and along a dry stone wall. As visibility is poor we clamber over a ladder stile slightly too early and have to negotiate half a kilometre on interesting ground. Little do we know the terrain is about to get a lot more interesting.
Steeply we climb, crossing Nant Ddu and up on to a bit of a plateau. Until now the cloud cover has felt quite benign but as we head over the plateau I do get a sense of unease as I try to regain the path which is indistinct through the boggy sections. Thankfully with the help of map, compass and Viewranger's fabulous mapping app we make it to the Glyder ridge just fine.

11:30am Just as we step on to the ridge the clouds pull back to reveal Tryfans mighty bulk. I stop to take some photos, can't be sure when the cloud will lift again. In my enthusiasm I step back to show my dearly beloved my handiwork. I trip and fall on both her walking pole and mine... we now have down hill ski poles - fit for nothing and have to be completely pulled apart to fit into our packs. Today is NOT A GOOD GEAR DAY!!!!

12noon - After a wee lunch break and a tricky rocky walk/scramble we arrive at the summit of Glyder Fach. It's no coincidence that my mood has changed from grumpy old git to very elated, happy child! The fact that the cloud has lifted completely and we have views as far as the eye can see just adds to my joy. We wander over to Castell y Gwynt, play around on the rocks and then it's off to the fabulous Cantilever rock - well, when in Rome! I clamber up the first section no problem but get a little stuck trying to manouvre off this slanting slab to get up on the cantilever itself... just as I'm lying flat on my stomach hugging the slab trying to find a foot hold a group of walkers approach... great, roll up, roll up to see the unique beached whale of Glyder Fach! Eventually I haul myself up on to the cantilever for requisite photos. It feels GREAT!

4.30pm - arrive back at car after a thigh quivering, knee knocking, ankle turning, bog hopping descent back down the Miners Path. In danger of getting grumpy again as I feel my energy draining but a bottle of chocolate milk fixes that.

It was a beautiful day, the views dramatic and I feel I've pushed myself. Tryfan next I think!

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_007.JPG

River crossing at beginning of Miners Track

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_013.JPG

First sight of the rocky terrain that's yet to come

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_018.JPG

The Cloud lifted and there was Tryfan with Carneddau in back ground

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_020.JPG

Glyder Ridge, Tryfan and Carneddau

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_031.JPG

Time for lunch!

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_036.JPG

First sight of Glyder Fach summit

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_037.JPG

Snowdonia bathed in glorious spring sunshine

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_042.JPG

Castell y Gwynt in the foreground, Glyder Fawr in the back ground

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_043.JPG

Glyder Fach summit

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_050.JPG

Fiona on Castell y Gwynt

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_057.JPG

Castell Y Gwynt with the Snowdon Horseshoe in the background

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_061.JPG

Carneddau

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_062.JPG

The Cantilever

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_063.JPG

Made a meal of it but got there in the end!

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_073.JPG

Tryfan

Glyder_Fach,_19_March_2011_082.JPG

Snowdon Horseshoe

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by smirnie71 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:7

Re: Glyder Fach in glorious sunshine

Postby smirnie71 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:47 pm

Idiot - posted this to my Walks Diary only, just unticked it. Sore today & a little stiff but still grinning from ear to ear! :D :D :D
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby colgregg » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:54 pm

smirnie71 wrote:Idiot - posted this to my Walks Diary only, just unticked it. Sore today & a little stiff but still grinning from ear to ear! :D :D :D

I too would be grinning after what must have been a great day out with the bonus of good weather.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Grahams:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:06 am

Thanks Col. We were so lucky with the weather and just happened to get the timing right. Absolutely loved it up there and have my eye on next weekends weather forecast already.
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:26 am

Well done Smirnie, great pics and good clear views, have had it really misty up there. You should be chuffed about that walk, it's hard work walking in that area,keep it up, Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:58 am

Morning Sue! Thank you so much for your encouraging words! It was hard work but worth every single second and yes, we were very lucky with the weather. Still grinning from ear to ear even if quads are a little sore today! :D :D :D :x :P
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby yokehead » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:46 pm

Absolutely brilliant report! :D 8) Sorry but I couldn't help :lol: at the misfortunes of your 'not a good gear day' :shock: , it's just the way you tell it! And:

smirnie71 wrote:just as I'm lying flat on my stomach hugging the slab trying to find a foot hold a group of walkers approach... great, roll up, roll up to see the unique beached whale of Glyder Fach!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Your story-telling is just great, this is definitely my report of the month so far! :D

Anyway, glad to see that you got good weather (as deserved given your trials) on this fine mountain in the end and enjoyed the jaunt - great photos too. I'll look forward to reading your Tryfan report! :)
yokehead

Munros:68   Corbetts:9
Grahams:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:23   

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi Yokehead! Tryfan indeed! I think I may go for a more minimal clothing approach, that way I can't tear seven types of strips out of my strip! :oops: :oops: I was NOT a happy bunny! £12.99 walking poles didn't bother me too much but the two tonne jacket - that refers to cost not my weight btw - did have me well up slightly! :cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm learning that as long as you go at your own pace, push yourself when you can to develop your fitness and most of all just bloody enjoy being out there, even a wee fatty like me can play with the fit guys.
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:06 pm

Great read smirnie, can't beat the cantilever for a photo opp!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:71   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:119   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:134   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby tango » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Lovely photos, Everytime im up there i get to see sod all :shock: , So nice to see some views!!!.. No special brews!! on special cookers!! :lol: .
tango

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks Paul! T'was a very, very good day out all told! :D 8)
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:25 pm

Have had the Glyders on back burner pending hopeful looking weather report and took our chances on Saturday. Just so lucky! :D

tango wrote:No special brews!! on special cookers!! :lol: .

No special brews, though I did take flask of lovely coffee with me.. and Oat and Raisin Cookies.. nom nom nom! Given my luck with gear malfunctions I probably would have turned a stove into an IED that day! Not worth the risk :o :lol: :angel:
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby MarkJ008 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:43 pm

A truly excellent report, and some quality story telling. This is a mountain I intend to 'bag' later in the year, including Glyder Fawr and Tryfan the same day. Hope I get the same sort of weather that you did. And I'm defo gonna take a look at that cantilever stone - amazing.

Oh yeah, and you've given some good ideas for my own walk report to come. Nice one fella. :D
MarkJ008
Munro compleatist

Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:14   

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Hey Mark! Can only dream of being fit enough to 'bag' Glyder Fawr and Tryfan on same walk - would have needed a few more hours at least but I will be back to test myself again.
I don't mean to be picky or split hairs, but I am a galla, not a fella, lol! :D :D :D
MarkJ008 wrote:Oh yeah, and you've given some good ideas for my own walk report to come. Nice one fella. :D

Shock, horror :o The beached whale of Glyder Fach is... :shh: gay
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby tango » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Opps :lol: :lol: :lol: . Im not the brightest bulb on the tree! but i sussed that 1 out!!!!! :D ..Are you exforces by any chance with your IED knowledge??
tango

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland