walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cat Bells from the side of derwent up

Cat Bells from the side of derwent up

Postby Melsjourney » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:46 pm

Date walked: 02/06/2021

Time taken: 3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My son and I (who is 5) climbed cat bells together, it was a really hot day which made it a bit trickier but we still enjoyed it. We came up the side from the lake to meet the first peak then followed the path up to the summit over a couple of scrambles and slippery rock (totally manageable) there were many young children and ladies/gents of all ages, this walk is family friendly but still requires a sensible approach and decent foot ware. We stopped regularly for a drink and few snacks rather than rushing round, I had to laugh when over hearing a guy get to the top and was quite upset that there were no toilets at the summit, The walk down was amazing my son found it really amusing that they seemed never ending, after the climb the slope can be a bit heavy on you knees so take it steady and enjoy the scenery because it’s so beautiful looking at all the other mountains around and lakes in full view - breathtaking ! Once your down and following the path back round along the lake there’s a few little natural streams that were perfect for splashing about in to cool down. :D
Attachments
2B21F71C-240F-44EE-8E69-D6C27F830702.jpeg
Melsjourney
Hill Bagger

Wainwrights:1   

Re: Cat Bells from the side of derwent up

Postby trailmasher » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:11 pm

Nice one Mel a good walk on a good hill on a great weather day with a happy top of hill photo record :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Cat Bells from the side of derwent up

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:56 pm

Cat Bells was my first Wainwright almost 14 years ago, climbed with my wife and then five year old daughter. Thank you for bringing back some wonderful memories.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland