walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Together again on Harter Fell

Together again on Harter Fell

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:18 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Harter Fell (Southern Fells)

Hewitts included on this walk: Harter Fell (Southern Fells)

Date walked: 17/05/2021

Time taken: 4.67

Distance: 6.1 km

Ascent: 572m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day two in Lakeland and for the first time in a good few years we were set for a full family outing. With conditions improving through the day we had a lie in and didn’t set off for Eskdale till after 12. The scarcity of people about around these parts at this time was emphasised by the fact that there was still plenty of space at the small car park at Jubilee Bridge. We booted up on what was a far fresher feeling day than yesterday and set off in overcast conditions but with plenty of signs for optimism.

Hard Knott Gill

Brightness in upper Eskdale

Gaining height

Sun Shining in Lower Eskdale

Pen takes centre stage in the Scafells

Hughie

....and again

Patch work of light on the fells

With Grace and Nicola’s lack of hill fitness and Grace’s dodgy knee we took things really easy and by the time we had a little rest just beyond the gate the sunshine reached us. Typically despite the leisurely progress I missed the cairns for the start of the path off the main route to Dunnerdale :roll: and we ended off making out way up vague disappearing sheep trods for most of the remain ascent.

Sunshine reaches us

Patchwork of light and shade over Eskdale

Caw and Stickle Pike

Green Crag with Devoke Water beyond

We regained the path for the final pull up to the summit to be treated to what has to be one of the very best panoramas in England viewed in just about perfect conditions. The view directly into the heart of upper Eskdale took the top spot but there was simply no direction that wasn’t quite magnificent, considering our previous visit was on a day so hazy we couldn’t see another fell with a vague view of Hard Knott fort being the best thing on offer, this was quite the improvement. Unlike the last time however I was the the only one who climbed the summit tor as I’m the only one doing a second round.

The first of Harter Fells summit tors comes into view

Towards the Coniston Fells from the summit

Panorama of Upper Eskdale (click for big version)

And a close up of the Scafells

Summit Tor

West from the real summit

Grace and Nicola take it all in

Towards Dunnerdale

Another shot of the Scafells? Don't mind if I do

Towards the Wrynose Pass

Seathwaite Tarn and the Coniston fells

Family summit shot, who is that hairy guy?

Towards the Duddon Sands

Epic Hughie shot with added Grace

Trig point on Harter Fell

Isle of Man

We stayed on top for quite some time as we had the place to ourselves, in fact we saw nobody else all walk. It was with some reluctance that we eventually headed down, retracing our steps (but following the path this time :roll: ), enjoying the same wonderful views all over again.

A reluctant descent

Eskdale

Gratuitous Scafells shot

...and with added Herdies

The local Herdies observe our retreat

Almost Down

How green is my valley

....and one last shot

We made it back to the car without any incident and stopped off at the Woolpack for tea, wood fired pizza was very delicious, :D before a steady drive back to the cottage. This was a memorable afternoon for us all to be on a fell top again after a good few years and even better that the mountain gods granted us such perfect conditions. Unfortunately this was to be our only family hill for the week with a combination of the weather and Grace’s knee preventing any further outings for the full pack. :(
I was set to keep making hay while the sun shone however as I had something bigger planned for tomorrow.....

Harter Fell.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Together again on Harter Fell

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:39 pm

I love Hughie's lockdown haircut, can he see out? :lol:
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:23 pm

nigheandonn wrote:I love Hughie's lockdown haircut, can he see out? :lol:

Unfortunately this isn't Hughie's lockdown haircut, his time away from the groomers has seen his tolerance of visiting them all but disappear. It'll be home haircuts for Hughie from now on it looks like :roll: :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby trailmasher » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:59 pm

Well done on a fine family outing JK with some fine shots for the album :clap: plus a pizza feast in the Woolpack. What an end to a good day on the fells 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:38 pm

trailmasher wrote:Well done on a fine family outing JK with some fine shots for the album :clap: plus a pizza feast in the Woolpack. What an end to a good day on the fells 8)

It was a fantastic afternoon TM, one to remember, thanks for your comment.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland