walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The very quiet, lower, Western Howgills.

The very quiet, lower, Western Howgills.

Postby martin.h » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:39 pm

Date walked: 19/06/2021

Time taken: 4.3

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 780m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Not sure where to go to avoid the crowds (we're leaving the Lakes until later on in the year when the holiday season calms down a bit :lol: ) I had a look at the map to see where in the Howgills we could explore and not cover too much familiar ground. Carlingill Bridge was familiar as a starting point and good parking is virtually guaranteed so what could we do from there? I saw there are some lower named tops on the western side accessible from Carlingill Bridge so plumbed to have a wander over them, one thing was certain, they'd be quiet :lol:

The Howgills are very easy to get to from Elland, it takes just over an hour to get to Tebay, not planning to be out for too long, my little route would be just right as an excuse to get out and visit somewhere off the beaten track.

Tops visited:-
Linghaw
Whin's End
Brown Moor
Castley Knotts
Fell Head

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We arrived at Carlingill Bridge in good time, there was nobody about so we got prime parking, we got ourselves ready and were off heading for Knowles, the weather was just right, bright, dry, no wind and pleasantly warm :D

Ready for the off

There's a good track/path up knowles, it's a bit steep in parts so height is gained quickly, there are good views west across the motorway to Greyrigg and north to Blease Fell, Uldale Head all visited in the past.

On the way up Linghaw we could see a couple and dog in the distance, not close enough to speak to but once on the top we could see them heading up Fell Head, we were going to turn right along a marked path on the map when we arrived in the dip between Linghaw and Fell Head. On the way down we could see our intended path, it looks well used.

It is a good path, I'll have to do a bit of research but it looks for all intents and purposes like an old packhorse track, very well established and fairly wide.

It was easy going, we left it at around SD640976 and wandered down a quad track to Whin's End.

On Whin's End the views back to the bigger fells is good, the motorway can be seen snaking south, it's a lonely place.

Our next hills, Brown Moor and Castley Knotts

We retraced our steps started to make our way to Brown Moor, we met a lady who had come up from Fairmile Gate, we had a good long chat about the Howgills, she lives locally so knows the hills and has used them to keep fit during lockdown, lucky so and so :lol: her real wish was to get up to Sutherland and explore Assynt this year, so we wished her good luck I hope she gets the opportunity.

Not wanting to lose too much height the trip around the slopes of Fell Head towards Brown Moor was a bit hard on the ankles, we were aiming for the flat ground around SD645973, there are traces of a path but not much more than an animal track, once in the dip we stopped for a rest.

The walk up Brown Moor is steady over heather and tussocks, there's even a tiny cairn on the summit and some good views

from the top the next leg to Castley Knotts looked a bit of a trek, we had a break and then set off.

Its surprising how far you can travel in the Howgills without too much effort and we were soon on Castley Knotts, there are good views back to the main Howgills so it was worth the effort

We had a snack then retraced our steps, next port of call was Fell Head

I'd looked at dropping down to Long Rigg Gill and ascend Long Rigg to get to Fell Head but decided to re-trace our way up and take a direct assault on the slopes of Fell Head and work our way across to the path going up Fell Head from Whin's End, it looked steep but, what the heck, lets give it a go :lol:

It wasn't that bad to be honest, we soon got up following a series of animal tracks and met the path at around SD645979.
from there it was an easy climb to the cairn.

The views were good too

We were wanting our lunch by now so dropped down Blake Ridge to find a spot out of the cooling breeze, found it and settled down for a munch and the views.

Once refreshed we set off down picking up the main path to take us back to Carlingill Bridge.

A nice quiet and enjoyable walk in a lovely environment, our next visit will be to the eastern side to do some of the less frequented tops above Sedbergh, looking forward to that :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: The very quiet, lower, Western Howgills.

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:31 pm

Another lovely Howgill outing, if I’m honest I’ve been to the Lakes quite a few times in recent months and not found it to be too busy at all, I’ve been avoiding the honeypots and starting at 8:00 to 8:30 and have spent many miles wandering on my lonesome.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby martin.h » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:25 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Another lovely Howgill outing, if I’m honest I’ve been to the Lakes quite a few times in recent months and not found it to be too busy at all, I’ve been avoiding the honeypots and starting at 8:00 to 8:30 and have spent many miles wandering on my lonesome.

I've been toying with the idea of a visit to the Northern Lakes, maybe Mungrisdale or Mosedale I'm hoping they're off the beaten track enough not to be in the "thick of it" :lol:
Ahh! I feel a plan hatching :D

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby trailmasher » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:34 pm

Must have missed this somehow martin.h :? but hey a decent walk there and a quite different way to bag Brown Moor & Castley Knotts and have had my eye on those two for a while :) . Some fine pics of some fine fells there also. I was in the Northern Fells last week and found it very quiet starting with Longlands finishing with Great Cockup so no bother over there with plenty of parking available. Again, good report :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby martin.h » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:46 pm

trailmasher wrote:Must have missed this somehow martin.h :? but hey a decent walk there and a quite different way to bag Brown Moor & Castley Knotts and have had my eye on those two for a while :) . Some fine pics of some fine fells there also. I was in the Northern Fells last week and found it very quiet starting with Longlands finishing with Great Cockup so no bother over there with plenty of parking available. Again, good report :clap:

Thanks TM
Yes, we'll pay the Northern fells a visit soon, I think.
This weekend looks good so we're hoping to get out, I've got a little route planned to polish off the main tops in the, guess where :D Howgills :lol: then we'll venture further a field for the remainder of the summer.

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby jackyjoy123 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:24 am

martin.h wrote:
trailmasher wrote:Must have missed this somehow martin.h :? but hey a decent walk there and a quite different way to bag Brown Moor & Castley Knotts and have had my eye on those two for a while :) . Some fine pics of some fine fells there also. I was in the Northern Fells last week and found it very quiet starting with Longlands finishing with Great Cockup so no bother over there with plenty of parking available. Again, good report :clap:

Thanks TM
This weekend looks good so we're hoping to get out, I've got a little route planned to polish off the main tops in the, guess where :D Howgills :lol: then we'll venture further a field for the remainder of the summer.

Cheers

thanks for the awesome information.
jackyjoy123
Ambler

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:22 pm

Terrific portrait of these idiosyncratic hills. I see there's much much more for me to explore...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby martin.h » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:02 pm

jackyjoy123 wrote:
martin.h wrote:

Thanks TM

Cheers

thanks for the awesome information.

Thankyou, I hope it helps :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby martin.h » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:10 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Terrific portrait of these idiosyncratic hills. I see there's much much more for me to explore...

Hi Alte, I hope you're well

That's the good thing about the Howgills as I'm sure you know, you can walk long distances and get into the more remote parts and still have time for a good old exploring session without a long trek back to the car :D
At the moment they're our favourite local hills :D

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby jackyjoy123 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:45 am

https://talktosonic.onl https://talktowendys.vip https://whataburgersurvey.onl

Thanks TM

thanks for the awesome information.[/quote][/quote]

thanks my issue has been fixed.
jackyjoy123
Ambler

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland