walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coniston Old Man and Brim Fell

Coniston Old Man and Brim Fell

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:02 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brim Fell, Coniston Old Man

Hewitts included on this walk: The Old Man of Coniston

Date walked: 24/06/2021

Time taken: 5

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 950m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Coniston Old Man: From Coniston to Torver via the Old Man using less frequented routes

Coniston Old Man is a fine peak and, justifiably, very popular. This, however, means that it can get very busy, particularly in the summer months. Having climbed it before, and staying at a campsite between Coniston and Torver, I decided to try to link up some paths that I knew of, but (as far as possible) that I hadn't actually walked. I included Great How Crags (a Birkett) but it's off piste and most would ignore it or continue to Swirl How.
Leaving the centre of Coniston we followed the road steeply up beside Church Beck before crossing the Miners Bridge and picking up the footpath its way up left towards the quarry road and Boulder Valley before taking a rough footpath up towards Levers Water, traversing its western edge going up, again quite steeply, to Lever's Hause.

Web COM_2830.jpg
Approaching Levers Water from Coniston

web COM_2833.jpg
Approach: At Levers Water

Until we reached Lever's Hause we encountered very few people, (other than one chap we met, without map and compass, who asked if he could accompany us to the top. We parted company at Lever's Water with a spare map and directions on getting back down to Coniston!) The paths are narrow, rough and, in places, getting overgrown with bracken at this time of year.
Once on the ridge the path is wide, very distinct and busy. We followed it north to Great How Crags, but decided not to continue on to Swirl How. Returning to Lever's Hause we then followed the ridge to Brim Fell \nd on to Coniston Old Man, briefly enjoying a cloud inversion, before the clouds burnt back to give some excellent, late afternoon visibility.
The summit, unsurprisingly, was very busy.
My somewhat battered, and well used, Wainwright Guide (purchased in 1974 for the princely sum of 90p) indicated a descent route by way of the south ridge (not shown on any mapping). We gave it a go. There is a path of sorts initially, although this gets very faint and indistinct about half way down. It's steep, pretty direct and I felt that it was safe enough in dry conditions. I wouldn't like to try it in the wet. I would imagine that the grass could get very slippery in those conditions.
In any case we made our way down without any problems, we just took our time a bit (a sensible precaution on steep ground anyway, especially for a man in his 70th year whose had a hip replacement).

The Walna Scar path is quickly reached, briefly followed, and then left for the track that leads down to the disused Banishead Quarry, complete with waterfall and, when I was previously here in spring, Ring Ousels.
Web COM_2844.jpg
The disused quarry on descent to Torver at Banishead

IMG_2847.JPG
Approaching Torver on the Tranerth path, just before the rain dropped!

Beyond the quarry, the track to Tranearth is then followed down above, and to the west of, Torver Beck through some delightful woodland. An excellent finish to the walk. We reached the Wilson Arms just before the heavens opened, by which time we were enjoying a locally brewed cask ale or two!
web_2850.jpg
Local refreshment!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Length: 7.5 miles / 12 km Ascent: +950m
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland