walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

North Wales: Snowdon

North Wales: Snowdon

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:39 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa

Date walked: 26/05/2021

Time taken: 7

Distance: 12.3 km

Ascent: 1165m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another personal ascent of this popular peak, this time with my youngest granddaughter, and a friend who was recovering hill walking fitness following an operation. We were in no hurry. We went up by the Miner's Path and descended by the PYG Track, the first time I'd been up for several years by this route (although I usually descend by one or the other).
web_2473 Snowdon from the Miners track.jpg
Snowdon from the Miners track

web_2482 y Lliwedd.jpg
Y Lliwedd from the Miners Path

web_2488 Mine workings.jpg
Mine workings

web_2491 Snowdon.jpg
Snowdon

We choose to go in this direction as it can be argued that the views of the peaks are best when climbed this way round. As it was, if we hadn't, we wouldn't have got any views as the cloud had dropped down on the summit and stayed there for the rest of the day before we had reached the top of the Zig Zags.
web_2502 Georgie enjoying her first big walk in the hills.jpg
Georgie enjoying her first big walk in the hills

Clearly some work has been done on the path up the Zig Zags and the PYG Track since I was last here. Most notable being the marker "posts" at the foot of the Zig Zags and at the junction of the PYG Track with the path coming up from the Miners Path. Makes life easier for those doing the route for the first time I suppose.
web_2497 marker stone at the top of the Zig Zags.jpg
Marker stone on the Zig Zags

I was surprised to see the work that had been done making the way up to the top of the summit cairn into a one-way system by the provision of a second set of steps. It's an improvement. Before, when it got busy, it could get dangerous for those on the outside with people pushing past coming the other way on the inside. Even more astonishing was the queue to get up to the summit cairn!
web_2505 Covid-19 secure queueing.jpg
Covid-19 secure queuing!

Long gone, it would seem, is the time when you could have the summit to yourself of a late summer's afternoon. (On reflection, it was a long time ago - more than 40 years ago. I'd come up by way of Moel Cynghorion and Moel Eilio, but I'm sure it's been possible since!)
web_2517 Pen y Pass from the PYG track.jpg
Pen y Pass from the PYG track

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Length: 7.63 miles 12.3 km Ascent: +1165m -1161m Naismith: 4h 24m

It's still an excellent walk, and we had a really good day out, but I shall go somewhere quieter tomorrow.
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland