walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Racing the weather is Knott Hard

Racing the weather is Knott Hard

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:32 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Hard Knott

Date walked: 20/05/2021

Time taken: 3.16

Distance: 9.4 km

Ascent: 586m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wednesday was another beautiful day but with Grace’s knee feeling it’s outing on Harter Fell and me feeling like a rest we all headed for St Bees and had a lovely walk on the beach.

Beach at St Bees

Clear Waters

Hughie on the Beach

Sea Pinks at St Bees

Unfortunately the weather was due a change with unsettled conditions dominating for the remainder of the week. Thursdays forecast was in all honesty apocalyptic but the timings seemed quite certain that the worst wasn’t to arrive until around 10AM, this left a window before the wind and rain arrived so in order to keep Friday for a family outing somewhere I set the alarm early, woke up earlier and set off for Eskdale in the morning gloom.
My plan was for the walk was to climb Hard Knott, the last of the Eskdale fells on the second round that are difficult to get to from the East coast. In line with my general approach to round two I didn’t want to just pop to the summit from the top of Hard Knott Pass but make a bit more of a walk of it, to do the fell justice.
With time being of the essence and not wanting to walk up the road I decided to just tackle the craggy face of Border End head on. This meant Hughie got left in bed, something he seemed quite happy about, and I arrived at the Fort on a gloomy overcast but dry morning, stuffed some breakfast down and set off.

Looking back at the car in gloomy conditions

I didn't particularly have a planned way up, and I'm not sure I could give a detailed account of the route I took given it's now several weeks ago but to cut a short story even shorter this way up is fine with only a boulder field and a couple of short simple scrambles providing any challenges.

Crossing a boulder field

Looking down on the fort and lower Eskdale

Slight Side in the clear

Harter Fell and hard Knott Fort

Hard Knott Pass

Topping out on Border End

Border End

Once I attained the summit of Border End it was obvious this morning was more than worth the effort. It was wonderfully atmospheric up here, with a hint of brightness over the Wrynose pass and an endlessly shifting veil of cloud flowing around the high fells of Upper Eskdale. It was perhaps this memorising sight which saw me carry on to Hard Knott summit and completely forget my intended visit to the Eskdale needle :roll: , oh well I'll have to come back again some day.

Cairn on Border End

A little brightness over Wrynose Pass

On the way to Hard Knott

East from Hard Knott Summit

Towards the shrouded upper Eskdale Valley from Hard Knott

A last shred of brightness

Eskdale Panorama - click for large version

I carried onto the last top of the day, Yew Bank, before setting off down the gradual descent to Lingcove Beck. This was really easy going and I was soon on the path above the beck, heading for the valley. It wasn't long before the lure of beck proved to much and I descended to the banks to explore it's secrets.

Moving mist on Crinkle Crags

Yew Bank with Shrouded Scafells beyond

Cairn on Yew Crag

Slight Side still in the clear

Ill Crag

Lingcove Beck

Lingcove Beck really is a beautiful watercourse with a succession of cascades, falls and waterslides. I got myself fairly absorbed in trying to capture their beauty meaning that any lingering thoughts of hovering up another couple of Birketts to the north were shelved.

Down by the beck

Follow the way to the sea

Dramatic waterfall in Lingcove Beck

Cascades in Lingcove Beck

..and another beautiful waterfall

By the time I arrived at Lingcove Bridge and the confluence with the River Esk it had got noticeably darker so I figured I best get a wiggle on and made good progress down the valley. It wasn't until I was making my way the short distance up the Pass back to the fort that the first light drops or rain started and was just about back at the cottage before the wind and torrential rain kicked in. Not a bad outing as it wasn't even close to elevenses yet. :D

A Gloomy Lingcove Bridge

A last look back at Lingcove beck

Eskdale Needle

Getting increasingly dark

A last look back at Eskdale

Back up the road to the start

Hard Knott.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We spent the showery Friday at Muncaster Castle, it's wonderful grounds in full bloom this time of year were a superb sight and the day was topped off by the simply brilliant Bird of Prey exhibition. If you like this kind of thing it's a must see.

Hughie

Rhododendrons or Azealias, not sure to be honest

Dropplet

More Rhododendrons (or Azealias)

..and more

..and more

Showers

Hughie in the stocks

Colours at Muncaster

Gaston the Verreauxs Eagle Owl

Mouse the Hooded Vulture

It was a shame we couldn't fit a second hill walk in together but still this was a splendid week. Eskdale is such a gorgeous valley and to find it so quiet was a rare treat. For me it is simply the most beautiful part of Lakeland, nowhere else can match it's wild rugged nature. I just wish I lived closer.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Racing the weather is Knott Hard

Postby trailmasher » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:09 am

Another fine effort there JK with a nice route and some very descriptive atmospheric photos :clap: I concur with your thoughts on Eskdale and the beauty of the place as I was won over from the very first time that I was there and have been back numerous times :D . Unlike you I descended Border End but more to the west of your route up - I think :?

Looked like a very colourful day at Muncaster also 8) and hope that Grace is recovering.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Racing the weather is Knott Hard

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:07 pm

trailmasher wrote:Another fine effort there JK with a nice route and some very descriptive atmospheric photos :clap: I concur with your thoughts on Eskdale and the beauty of the place as I was won over from the very first time that I was there and have been back numerous times :D . Unlike you I descended Border End but more to the west of your route up - I think :?

Looked like a very colourful day at Muncaster also 8) and hope that Grace is recovering.

Only thing wrong with the day was how short the time had to be, unless I fancied being out torrential rain and +40mph winds I had a fairly tight window. Grace is fine, she has now been convinced to try a knee support perhaps she might get up a few more fells. Muncaster’s grounds were so beautiful, can’t believe we’ve never been before.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland