walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

THe Western Glyders

THe Western Glyders

Postby Rekrab » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:53 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Carnedd y Filiast (Glyders), Elidir Fawr, Foel-goch (Glyders), Y Garn (Glyders)

Date walked: 24/03/2011

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 14.7 km

Ascent: 1396m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

New_Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As the work week was coming to an end (Monday and Tuesday) the weather was stupidly sunny and nice for N Wales, I was planing on doing this ridge on my Todd but with the weather being so nice I didn't want my wife to miss out on some Mountains so we put the baby in the rucksack carrier (she's 10kg now!!! the only rucksack I have that gets heavier and heavier) and took a train to Betws-y-Coed then the Sherpa to Llanberis
IMAG0434.jpg
Elidir Fawr from Llanberis

The intended route was to head up the south eastern Slopes of Elidir Fawr along the Afon Dodudyn up to the Saddle then Ticking would go as follows; Elidir Fawr, Carnedd y Filiast, Foel-Goch & Y Garn then descending back to Llanberis.
after a wee hiccup on the way up we were having difficulty finding the way marked start of the route we popped out on a Summit only to find that it was Y Garn!
IMAG0435.jpg
that's Elidir Fawr but why is it al the way over there! oh no were on the wrong path this is our return path!!!

IMAG0442.jpg
Beth about 400m from the top of Y Garn (we think we're going to pop out on Foel-goch) Snowdons N ridge in the back

DSC_0027.jpg
My Daughter and I on Y Garn her 3rd 3000 footer

IMAG0452.jpg
Glyder Fawr and Glyder Foch from Y Garn

IMAG0455.jpg
Looking W to Foel-Goch and Carnedd y filiast

DSC_0032.jpg
The baby and I on our way to Foel-Goch with Tryfan and the Ogwen valley in the back

I could see Tryfan and The Eastern Glyders just off to the right, So I guess were doing the reverse route today then.

we stopped on Y Garn and had some biscuits and celebrated our 14 month old Daughters 3rd time being at 3000 feet (Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers just 10 months ago) the Whole walk was under a little stress as we needed to do all 4 hills and get back down the catch our sherpa bus back to Betws so we didn't linger to long.

we had a cracking decent and walk over to Foel-Goch and the views of the surrounding hills and the rest of the Glyders were amazing. once one Foel-Goch we had a brew and sandwiches at 2500ft and in Awe of Elidir Fawr which dominated the landscape.the day was getting on and we decided to split up here, I would continue to Carnedd y filiast and then we would meet up on the ascent up Elidir Fawr (there was a Geocache on the Summit so Beth really didn't want to miss out on that one).
IMAG0459.jpg
Looking back to Y Garn

IMAG0462.jpg
Pen yr ole wen

IMAG0466.jpg
Not a bad spot for a Picnic Foel-Goch Summit looking to Elidir Fawr

IMAG0467.jpg
Looking to Carnedd y Filiast from Foel-Gogh Managed to get the Helicopter in the pic too.

IMAG0471.jpg
Foel-Goch and Y Garn from Mynydd Perfedd.

so I headed up and it was a nasty climb up to Mynydd Perfedd but once on top it was plateau all the way to the a Stile over a Rock wall and then onto the Summit from there, hill was very easy once Mynydd Perfedd was climbed I turned around and Could see my wife standing on Elidir Fawr Summit and thought (that B****! we were supposed to walk up that together!!) it was almost 14:00 and we only had 2.5 hours do descend to I quickly made it to the saddle when my Daughter decided it was time for a nap! 10kg's of dead weight bouncing on my back was not what I needed after 12 something kilometres!!! met the wife on her way down maybe 100m from top she took baby and I sprinted the last 100m (seemed like a sprint with the weight of my back) and took some quick pics to say I'd been where I'd been.
IMAG0476.jpg
Carnedd y filiast summit

IMAG0478.jpg
Elidir Fawr from Carnedd y Filiast my wife is on top of that somewhere

IMAG0472.jpg
back on Mynydd Perfedd and heading for Elidir Fawr The Clock is 'a Tickin

IMAG0481.jpg
summit shelter on Elidir Fawr. no time to take pics had to hurry up!!!! looking to Carnedd y Filiast

IMAG0484.jpg
Carnedd y Filiast from Elidir Fawr

IMAG0485.jpg
Nearly there as Llanberis comes into view

IMAG0486.jpg
Looking back up the Glen Just descended

it was now 14:30 and we only had 2 hours to descend 600m (3klm as the crow flies) we followed a path from the saddle of Elidir Fawr and Foel-Goch along Foel-Gochs SW ridge. We soon came off path and headed due south through some long grass and reeds which were great as they were nice and soft on our tired feet and this seemed to make the walk down quicker.
as we reached another burn that needed crossing the wife pointed out that we were at the stile at the back of the farm where we started and we still had 30mins to go!!! (this was the only time in the whole day I was confident we were going to catch this bus) we made it to the Bus stop and we had a 20 minute wait for it!!!! and I was narked having to wait the 20 mins!!! lol we rushed down to meet the bus and it wasn't even there!!!!

a lovely ride back through Capel Curig and onto Betws then a Quick train ride and we were back in Llanrwst and popping the kettle on and most importantly he baby had a proper nap in her bed (reluctantly)

thanks for reading are a lot of haze about today so I had to use a picture editor to get some details out of some of the pics as you will see some of them look a bit funny but a million times better that the misty/ hazy originals.

MacKenzie,
Last edited by Rekrab on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Re: THe Western Glyders

Postby Rekrab » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:55 pm

Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Fantastic report and some great pics (edited or otherwise) I began to feel the pressure of rushing for the bus toward the end :? glad you made it.

The shot of you and your daughter on top of her 3rd 3000 footer is a real cracker, she looks so happy :D mind you I would look happy if I could get someone to carry me up top too :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby susanmyatt » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:30 am

She's gorgeous, start them young I say, room for another in that rucksack :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland