walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

USA - Catwalk Canyon - New Mexico

USA - Catwalk Canyon - New Mexico

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:53 am

Date walked: 19/02/2009

Time taken: 1

Distance: 3.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In February 09 I took a trip to see the Mogollon cliff dwellings in the Gila National Forest area in the South West area of New Mexico, whilst planning the route I noticed on the map 'Catwalk Canyon' - a quick search on google told me it was a structure used by miners to go to and from work until the mines closed, the catwalk was then refurbished and opened as part of a national recreation area.

The pictures of a steel structure attached to the side of a canyon wall intrigued me sufficiently to take a short detour and walk the 'catwalk'.

Arriving in the car park, it seems to be a very well looked after location

A quick look at the map shows it is a straight up and down route with the opportunity of a slight detour toward the end, the path at the beginning is suitable for all ages.

It is soon apparent that the earlier path is only to ensure all ages can reach the associated picnic area and I turned onto the miners trail.

Soon around the corner the start of the 'catwalk' comes into view.

Tethered to the canyon wall with steel cable and supported beneath by cantilever posts it is quite a thing

The canyon wall provides a welcome shade as you meander through the maze of catwalk looking down through the grills at the water below in this surreal wander.

The metal twister continues in a seemingly endless snake along the cool canyon wall

There are occasional viewpoints and seating areas looking into the canyon at the myriad of small waterfalls that bubble below

The catwalk breaks after a while and opens out further

mind your head......

Climbing up the canyon on the twisting pathway provides views back down to the crossings below

The path is ever changing in appearance and moves between huge rocks with regularity

looking back down a steep incline with handrail provided

Occasionally a ladder ensures a safe traverse of loose scree on an incline

These are a little easier than stepping stones

climbing hi up the canyon wall again I look back to see two people on a bridge below

A cable bridge provides a swaying flexible connection to the final stages

Soon after the swaying bridge is the end of the walk beneath an overhang looking down to what would be a beautiful waterfall at the right time of year

The return is the same path until close to the end where a slight detour is available

After descending these steps I couldn't help but wonder about that bent step, falling rocks I hope rather than falling heads...

Finally a long metal bridge back across the river to the picnic area and car park, definitely one of the strangest walks I've ever done but really enjoyable and interesting.

The USA is stuffed full of such things and road trips are the only way to find them, they are virtually always free entry, and free car parking as well as being well maintained...now that is my idea of tax dollars at work!!
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: USA - Catwalk Canyon - New Mexico

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:30 am

Ah, the perfect blue sky and rocky canyons of the US south west 8) .

It may be because I've visited places like this in the US as a "tourist" rather than a hardened local walker, but I also really enjoy these sorts of walk and their ease of access :D (provided - as you say - you have car).

However, I try to remember that there are not the same rights to land access in the US as here and the result is that federal land can get very busy! Although I think we have wonderful access laws in Scotland, if we are to go down the NP route (which we now have), I feel that we need to try to find a medium between the US NP model and our own, but that's probably another debate ;).
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby PauloUK77 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:19 am

That looks an interesting little adventure.I would love to head to the USA to explore on foot there looks to be some great places.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:33 pm

Another great USA report Chris :) This continues to wet my appetite for the sort of things I'll be finding over there- I move over in early 2012 8)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:08 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Ah, the perfect blue sky and rocky canyons of the US south west 8) .

It may be because I've visited places like this in the US as a "tourist" rather than a hardened local walker, but I also really enjoy these sorts of walk and their ease of access :D (provided - as you say - you have car).

However, I try to remember that there are not the same rights to land access in the US as here and the result is that federal land can get very busy! Although I think we have wonderful access laws in Scotland, if we are to go down the NP route (which we now have), I feel that we need to try to find a medium between the US NP model and our own, but that's probably another debate ;).

An interesting point LeithySuburbs, I didn't really think too much about access as there are so many parks in every state that you just don't notice, some of the local state parks are spectacular.

PauloUK77 wrote:That looks an interesting little adventure.I would love to head to the USA to explore on foot there looks to be some great places.

Almost every type of condition you can imagine, I walked deserts, mountians, rainforest, farmland, swamps and god know what else during my time there....I would recommend Southern Utah...just spectacular :D

HighlandSC wrote:Another great USA report Chris This continues to wet my appetite for the sort of things I'll be finding over there- I move over in early 2012

Thanks HiglandSC, if all goes as expected I hope to be living in Calgary by then, when you have seen enough in the USA you should come up and visit that may take some time though :lol: , maybe just when you fancy a change :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby tango » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:02 am

Chris lovely photos, looks like a nice end of the world! was it as quite as it looks or did you manage to keep other people out of the frame?? because i thinks if it was that quite that would have been a Brucey bonus, :D .
tango

Postby ChrisW » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 am

tango wrote:Chris lovely photos, looks like a nice end of the world! was it as quite as it looks or did you manage to keep other people out of the frame?? because i thinks if it was that quite that would have been a Brucey bonus, :D .

Cheers Tango - It was a quiet as it looks mate, just saw 2 guys on a bridge behind me but didn't pass them going in or coming out so not sure what happened there. All of it was blissfully empty. I tended to seek out the 'less used' places as often as I could and had the advantage of mid-week sessions as often as I wanted.

Obviously I did the 'unmissable' tourist stuff - grand canyon, miami, orlando, everglades, niagara falls, new york, philly (liberty bell etc), yellowstone, new orleans, alaska, colorado ....... I think you get the picture :lol:

Had a fantastic time and still have some lesser known spots to post, just for their 'quirkiness' - should provide a bit of something different for WH readers.
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby tango » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:59 am

Yeah Chris keep them rolling, always nice to see something different!! with good photos.. :D , I understand the tourist thing has to be done, but like you say its also very nice to explore & find your own bit of the States.. being that is so massive.. :shock: ..keep them coming. Cheers.....
tango

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland