walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Short stroll in the heart of Wales

Short stroll in the heart of Wales

Postby thepigguy » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:02 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Moel y Cerrig Duon

Date walked: 08/07/2021

Time taken: 1

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 114m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What I did on my holidays - part 6

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

An enjoyable break to the journey from the Mid Wales coast to visit family in Shropshire. The walk is a simple ramble in dry conditions from the car park at Bwlch y Groes with only a couple of peat hags to deal with and I followed the fence up to the top in just under half-an-hour.

I stayed at the summit for about 15 minutes, enjoying hazy views of more challenging and more interesting mountains passing the time of day with a friendly farmer on a quad bike, rounding up stray sheep before heading back the same way.

moel1.jpg
Looking back to the start

moel2.jpg
If I'm honest, the hill was a wee bit further away than I expected

moel3.jpg
Moel y Cerrig Duon (hill of the black stones) summit

moel4.jpg
Looking west from the top
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland