walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In the shadow of Cadair Idris

In the shadow of Cadair Idris

Postby thepigguy » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:20 pm

Date walked: 07/07/2021

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 8.18 km

Ascent: 395m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We were spending a couple of days as a 60th birthday treat, ambling down memory lane in a part of Wales I have been visiting for more than 50 years.

Mrs Pigguy, who loves a walk, but whose dodgy knee has a limit of five or six miles, originally suggested I climb Cadair Idris and she'd come and pick me up later. I did the decent thing and said we should find a walk we could do together. We did - and it was grand fun.

aber1.jpg
Abergynolwyn

Castell y Bere is one of my favourite spots in Wales - or anywhere for that matter - so I was keen to include that. We parked in Abergynolwyn village and set off up the road that runs above the Afon Dysynni. I'd found a route on the Talyllyn Railway website and was glad I'd checked it otherwise we'd have missed the stile and footpath that leads over to Castell y Bere, avoiding a march around the road.

aber2.jpg
Heading away from the road

aber3.jpg
The path is straightforward to follow

aber4.jpg
Mrs Pigguy sets the pace

It's a fine amble through semi-agricultural land, the path coming and going, but it's easy enough to find your way with plenty of views to enjoy in all directions.

aber5.jpg
Castell-y-Bere surrounded by trees

aber7.jpg
Castell-y-Bere ruins looking towards Bird Rock

aber8.jpg
Looking towards Cadair Idris from the ruins

We had a look around the ruins of the castle built by Llewellyn the Great 800 years ago and settled down for our lunch there in the sunshine. From the castle we rejoined the road down to Llanfihangel-y-Pennant and then took the path directly opposite the church gate, heading east.

The path is well marked most of the way as it crosses between the hills, an enjoyable steady climb alongside the Nant-yr-Eira, following in the (bare) footsteps of Mary Jones who walked from Llanfihangel to Bala to buy a bible in 1800, inspiring the foundation of the Bible Society.

aber9.jpg
Path from Llanfihangel

aber10.jpg
Looking back down the valley towards Llanfihangel

aber11.jpg
Mynydd Cedris

The route has been ploughed up part of the way, but it's simple enough to find a way across and regain the path. We picked up a downward track which went in the direction of Talyllyn Lake, then turned off to the right following a path through woods before coming out onto a field next to the back road which we followed the mile and a half into Abergynolwyn.
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland