walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cadair Berwyn from Pistyll Rhaeadr

Cadair Berwyn from Pistyll Rhaeadr

Postby thepigguy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:56 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cadair Berwyn, Moel Sych

Date walked: 09/07/2021

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 783m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What I did on my holidays - part 7

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Many years ago, when I was young, athletic, good-looking and Shrewsbury-based, I tramped up and down many Welsh hills and mountains, finding my way with map and compass, wearing army surplus gear and happily oblivious of hill lists or bagging.

Somehow in all those trips to Tryfan, the Glyders, Cadair Idris, the Arans and Rhinogs, I bypassed the Berwyns. Visiting family in Shropshire, this was a good chance to put that right and at the end I was left wondering how it had taken me so many years to tackle these hills.

Starting late (again!), I got snarled up in Friday holiday traffic around Shrewsbury (some things never change) and finally got to Pistyll Rhaeadr just before 1pm. The expensive waterfall car park was virtually full and closes at 5.30pm, so I found a spot in one of the lay-bys a short way down the road, walked back up towards the waterfall before taking a right turn through the gate just before the car park and following the path through the woods.

There's a choice of path or track up towards the top of the waterfall, I chose the path for no reason other than it felt like I was getting there quicker. On another warm, hazy afternoon I worked up a fair sweat on this section, pausing for a breather and views where the path and track rejoin.

berwyn1.jpg
Path after emerging from the woods. The track is just as good a way.

berwyn2.jpg
Looking back down the valley

From there it was straightforward, heading uphill on an obvious path and keeping going up. The ground was mostly dry and about an hour and 20min after starting I was at the top of the first top Trum Felen, the view opening up over to the ridge and Cadair Berwyn.

berwyn4.jpg
The path heads towards Moel Sych

berwyn5.jpg
Valley running north west, Post Gwyn in the distance on the left

berwyn6.jpg
Minor diversion through old fencing

berwyn8.jpg
Looking back on the way up Moel Sych

A slight descent led to the only wet part of the way up to Moel Sych and there was a little bog-hopping that probably could have been avoided if I'd moved further away from the fence.

berwyn9.jpg
The Berwyn Ridge and Cadair Berwyn

It was a short walk up to the large cairn at the top of Moel Sych, where it was cold enough to force the fleece out of the rucksack. After a late lunch admiring the views through the haze, I packed up and set off for the short walk to Cadair Berwyn, its shapely point on the ridge a contrast to the rounded hump of Moel Sych.

berwyn10.jpg
Summit of Moel Sych looking towards Cadair Berwyn and Cadair Bronwen

berwyn12.jpg
First look over to Llyn Lluncaws on the way to Cadair Berwyn

Part of the way up a stile had obviously fallen apart and not been replaced and the farmer has put barbed wire across to keep animals in. It's simple enough though to hop over the fence to the left and then hop back over a few yards further on.

berwyn14.jpg
Barbed wire blocks the way, but it's easy enough to avoid

berwyn15.jpg
Looking back at Moel Sych

Cadair Berwyn's summit is a great place to be with views back down the valley and straight down to Llyn Lluncaws (even if the water in the lake looks unpleasantly full of some sort of brown algae). I lingered for some time before walking along the ridge to the 794m top for a look a other Berwyn tops.

berwyn16.jpg
Top of Cadair Berwyn

berwyn17.jpg
Looking along the ridge

I retraced my steps to the col between Cadair Berwyn and Moel Sych, picking up the path that curls around the ridge downwards towards Llyn Lluncaws. The path is a bit loose here and there, but pretty good overall and the descent was simple enough, if a bit slow and careful, the views of the ridge and Cadair Berwyn's summit dominating all the way.

berwyn18.jpg
The path down

20210709_160743.jpg
Great views straight down to the lake

berwyn21.jpg
Me and Cadair Berwyn

I bit of drizzly weather blew in as I neared the lake, but it soon moved on as the path turned away, heading back in the direction of the waterfall. There is a stream to be crossed, but I managed easily enough, and that is followed by some seriously boggy ground for about 20m before regaining the path/track which ambles quietly down the valley, eventually coming out on the road a few hundred metres below the lay-bys.

This was a superb afternoon out in very underrated hills and after getting away from the crowds at the waterfall I saw only three other people - terrific.

berwyn22.jpg
Looking back to Cadair Berwyn on the way down
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland