walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Top of the World on our Honeymoon Hike

Top of the World on our Honeymoon Hike

Postby Munro Mary » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:30 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Date walked: 22/07/2021

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Although I’ve followed my dad up Ben Nevis, Snowdon and a few other hills in the Lakes, Scotland and Wales, I’m not really a very experienced fell walker. I just about know what a cagoule is and I know that you need to take some spare clothes, sun cream and water in a rucksack but I’ve never really done much map reading, don’t really know how a compass works and, when it comes to climbing hills, I don’t know the difference between feet and metres. :oops: And, if anything, my new husband knows even less… :shock: :shock:
But we were in the Lake District on our honeymoon and the weather was brilliant – which meant that climbing Scafell Pike was the only option. :thumbup: So we did what loads of other people do and went to a shop in Ambleside to buy a map and some Kendal Mint Cake – well, actually, we bought Jamaica Ginger Cake :-D because that’s what my family always eats when we go hillwalking. I also e-mailed my dad and he said that the weather was set fair :D and that, even though we only had trainers, :eh: we’d probably be fine – but, whatever happened, we weren’t allowed to call out a Mountain Rescue Team as this would be very embarrassing. :problem: What could possibly go wrong?
Well, we managed the first challenge which was to get to the car park at the Old Dungeon Ghyll before 7.00.am. on the hottest day of the year… :D but we failed the second challenge because, even though we’d been warned that parking was expensive, we didn’t have either any cash or any reception to pay on our phones. :-? :problem: Oh well, maybe we’d get some reception higher up and be able to pay that way?
Anyway, we set off and walked up this big valley which we couldn’t pronounce (Muggles’ Den? :-?) to a steep stream bed with a dead sheep in it :problem: which we also couldn’t pronounce (Rose It Gill?) and then a grassy slope which was much higher. Great! We had some reception on our phones so maybe we could pay for the parking? This, though, was more difficult than it seemed and all I managed to do was set off an emergency beacon which I didn’t know I had on my phone. :problem: Luckily it had a cancel button…
The good thing was, though, that it was still early and, therefore, quite cool despite the wall to wall sunshine. But we still hadn’t seen anyone else and were a bit worried about being alone on the mountain! Anyway, we pushed on to Angle Tarn which was very scenic and then we met our first fellow hill climber tramping towards us. He was enjoying being out in the mountains, said that he’d come over from Narnia or Westeros or somewhere :eh: :think: and gave us some directions…
4.a - Angle Tarn on the way up Scawfell Pike.jpg
Angle Tarn on the way up
So we carried on uphill to a wall which someone had built in the shape of a cross. I said that we should head up to the right but my new husband knew better and, pretty much by chance, picked the correct route. Well, he reckoned that it was down to map reading skill. :lol: Anyway, after a fair bit of clambering over boulders, this had the useful effect of getting us to the summit where we realised that we’d brought too much food with us; we even had olives… 8) The views and the weather, though, made for a terrific picnic!
4.b - Summit of Scawfell Pike.jpg
On the summit
4.d - Mickey and the view towards Pillar.jpg
Summit views
4.c - Jamaica Ginger Cake on the summit of Scawfell Pike.jpg
More food than we could eat
I’d always been told that most mountaineering accidents happen on the descent :think: :problem: so we were very careful once we started heading down. The main danger, though, was probably heatstroke but we managed to keep this at bay with a swim in Angle Tarn – probably, like our trainers, against the mountain code :shifty: but it was impossible to resist.
4.e - A swim in Angle Tarn during the descent.jpg
An afternoon swim in Angle Tarn
4.f Passing Angle Tarn on the descent.jpg
Heading down in the afternoon sun
It was really hot by now and the climb down Rose It Gill and Muggles’ Den seemed much further than it had in the morning; I kept hallucinating about a pint of cold beer at the bar of the Old Dungeon Ghyll. :thumbup: Unfortunately, though, the perfect end to what had been a perfect day was dented by the sight of a flat tyre :problem: :problem: once we got back to the car park… it didn’t stop us from having that cold drink but getting the nail removed in a Windermere garage was an unwanted chore!
What’s next? :think: Maybe a trip up Rum Doodle?

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Munro Mary
Rambler

Munros:10   
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Top of the World on our Honeymoon Hike

Postby Sgurr » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:12 pm

You can't possibly go to Rum Doodle, as you would not substitute for any single one of the characters. Hope you carry on fell walking.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Munro Mary » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:56 pm

Thank you Mr. Sgurr.
It is true that to climb Scafell Pike by the Angle Tarn route is one thing but to climb Rum Doodle is, as someone once said, quite another – but we’d hire some porters and, if we took along some champagne for medicinal purposes, I’m sure we’d be alright. :lol: :lol: You may be right about not resembling the characters in the original expedition but my husband is, like Jungle, a great map reader and he often seems to speak Yogistani to me – and my cooking has often been (favourably) compared with that of Pong :lol: :lol:
I’m sure that we’ll carry on fell walking but we are starting our married life out in New York :think: so getting to the hills isn’t easy; we’re home at Christmas but not sure that our sunglasses, trainers and inexperience will be all that useful to us if we head for the hills. We need to get some more experience! :crazy:

Munro Mary
Rambler

Postby mrssanta » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:30 pm

Thank you for posting this lovely report it made me smile which I needed. Wishing you a long and happy marriage with lots more hills.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Munro Mary » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:53 am

Thank you Mrs. Santa,
Hope that you will also enjoy climbing more hills. :thumbup:
Munro Mary
Rambler

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland