walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A long walk in to Lank Rigg

A long walk in to Lank Rigg

Postby gld73 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:28 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Lank Rigg

Date walked: 28/08/2021

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 650m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Only one day on this visit back to West Cumbria free for walking, and having travelled down by train, my hill options were limited by my parents having recently sold their second car that I'd previously been able to borrow. It maybe worked out well ...there was only one Wainwright within walking distance of the house that I hadn't done before, so this pushed me to finally get round to doing it; Lank Rigg. And the timing was perfect ... for one reason as it's a notoriously boggy route from the west and requires a couple of beck crossings (and there has been no rain for the last 6 days according to my dad, so as dry as things tend to get in West Cumbria) and for another, it was a bank holiday weekend in dry weather and in an ultra busy Lake District (so the ideal time to do one of the less visited Wainwrights AND all by foot so no parking required).

Thanks to Pointless Parasite's summary of routes up this often overlooked hill, I did the first route option just with a longer (MUCH longer) walk in.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Set off from Whitehaven mid-morning and it was pavement walking all the way through Keekle and Cleator Moor, to Wath Brow and over the bridge over the Ehen, then right, heading up Nannycatch lane. The tarmac ends where people park to take forestry trails up and around Dent, but I continued on the well worn path running between Flat Fell and Dent, with Lank Rigg already visible ahead. Hadn't been along Nannycatch since I did Flat Fell and Dent from the house, but it's a nice walk, and the bit at the end where there's a junction of paths is quite a scenic spot.
APDC8405.JPG
View over Cleator Moor from the outskirts of Whitehaven - Flat Fell and Dent are the hills in the foreground, Lank Rigg the bigger one behind. Couldn't believe I'd never been up it before!

APDC8406.JPG
The Nannycatch track then clear path continues between Flat Fell and Dent, Lank Rigg still looming ahead. I like coming back to Cumbria - the hills are so much easier to pronounce than in the Highlands...

APDC8423.JPG
Stile crossed over to head up the bracken covered slope (clear path cut through it) to the farmland above (behind me in this photo)

Today I headed through the gate to the right, then after crossing the stream on the small footbridge, immediately turned left, went over a stile and headed up the path cut through the bracken on the steep slope ahead. at the top, 'Private' signs kept me from straying away from the public right of way as I headed up and across farmland of the Standing Stones Farm (they were actually quite useful rather than hindering me, I was wanting to stay on the right of way marked on my map.
APDC8407.JPG
Passed through farm fields on the Rights of Way, this was looking back (through a field of sheep - it is Cumbria) down along the path in one of the previous photos

On reaching the road, it was a short distance to the start of the track for the Lank Rigg route proper; I'd expected 1 or 2 cars, but was surprised to see 7 parked along the road. Not busy by the standards of the Lake District just now, but busy for this route up Lank Rigg and neighbours I suspect!
APDC8408.JPG
Bank Holiday in the Lake district - by Lank Rigg standards, heaving!

It was a nice walk along the path, and the week of no rain paid off with easy crossings of Stinking Gill and the Calder itself, easy to keep dry feet by crossing on stones. The irony was that after getting across the Calder, I was ankle deep in bog 2 minutes later and had soaked feet after all. Oh well!
APDC8409.JPG
Grassy path here, other parts stony path, but always easy to follow

APDC8412.JPG
No problems crossing the Calder today!

The path is easy to follow and then at the end of the valley, heads more steeply up the end wall to come out at the dip between Whoap and Lank Rigg. Well worn paths go in either direction, so I took the right one and after another short, straightforward steep uphill stretch, arrived at the summit.
APDC8413.JPG
View back down the valley, Whoap Beck barely visible in it, but the path I'd taken just about visible on the right here

APDC8414.JPG
Lank Rigg summit

APDC8416.JPG
Further east into the Lake Distict, conditions weren't looking so nice

APDC8418.JPG
West to Dent and Cleator Moor

APDC8420.JPG
Sellafield in the distance

More cloudy than I'd expected to the east, I was glad I'd stuck with a lower hill.

For the walk back, I just took the same route as it saved my knees the steep gradient of the more direct descent off Lank Rigg.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: A long walk in to Lank Rigg

Postby Pointless Parasite » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:18 am

:clap: Wow, that's a seriously long walk in going all the way from Whitehaven. Interesting route up from Nannycatch as well. I've been down there lots of times but never investigated the right of way up to Standing Stones. The owner of the farmhouse nearby was a really eccentric gynaecologist, but he died a few years ago and I don't know who the new owners are.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: A long walk in to Lank Rigg

Postby gld73 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:40 am

Don't think my long walk in from Whitehaven is quite as impressive as your recent report on tackling Dom! :lol:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland