walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Borne, Starling Dodd, Red Pike and Dodd

Great Borne, Starling Dodd, Red Pike and Dodd

Postby Clach Liath » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:03 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great Borne, Red Pike (Buttermere), Starling Dodd

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Borne, Red Pike (Buttermere), Starling Dodd

Date walked: 08/09/2021

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

From Buttermere village.

Took the lane across the flats to Scale Bridge and then headed towards Crummock Water. I made my way to the footpath that runs adjacent to Scales Beck. As I ascended I noted Scale Force in its cleft and largely hidden by vegetation.

I passed by the southern end of Mellbreak and crossed the marshland at the head of Mosedale. This wasn't too bad after a dry and hot period. But I can imagine it being rather tortuous in Winter/Spring or after a wet spell. The path disappears in places amongst the long grasses.

On the rise to the col between Gavel Fell and Great Borne, the path is strong again. The 200m rise up on to Great Borne from the col goes quite quickly and you are soon on the stony summit. Most ascents of this top will probably be made from Ennerdale.

I visited the trig, the Birkett top and the summit rock which are all within 50m of each other and met a lady who was close to finishing her 11th round of Wainwrights. Long-distance views were limited by the humid atmosphere but I could make out the hills in Dumfries and Galloway. There is a nice view towards the upper end of Ennerdale.

From Great Borne I dropped eastwards and made my way to Starling Dodd. There is a trail the whole way. Just before the summit there is a good view over Crummock Water with Grasmoor behind. The top has the usual rocky cairn together with one next to it that is made largely from redundant metal fenceposts.

I decided to return to Buttermere by going over Red Pike, rather than taking a path down by Scale Force. The path continues, bypassing Little Dodd and rises almost 200m to Red Pike. Here you can look down to both Crummock Water and Buttermere lake, though this top is dominated by High Stile 1km to the south east.

I descended off Red Pike and bagged Dodd en route. Though Dodd does not have much prominence this top has even better views of the two lakes if you venture a little further on from the summit to a large scruffy cairn beyond.

There is a made path for most of the descent which passes the picturesque Blaeberry Tarn which was sparkling in the sun beneath the brooding crags of High Stile when I was there.

At the foot of Buttermere lake the hordes were sunning themselves and picnicking on this scorcher of a day.
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland