walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An adventure into Wainwrights Outlying Fells

An adventure into Wainwrights Outlying Fells

Postby martin.h » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:57 pm

Date walked: 12/09/2021

Time taken: 6.15

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 686m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've heard of the Wainwright Outlying Fells and thought they'd be worth a bit of research just to find out a little more about them, a possible new "tick list" and get into the less visited hills around the Lake District.
We're not fans of "tick lists" because they tend to become an obsession, we like to be in the hills for the hills and not the numbers, but these lists do get us into different places and I think that's what it's all about really so here we go, lets see what the out lying fells can do for us :D

Tops visited today:-

Whatshaw Common
Little Yarlside
Great Yarlside
Wasdale Pike
Great Saddle Crag
Harrop Pike (not classed as an "outlying fell") :(
Lords Seat
Robin Hood
High House Bank

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Not knowing what the hills were going to be like, we decided to get away from home early so we could make a reasonable start, the overall distance and ascent looked like a 5 to 5.30 hour day out, as it turned out, it took a little longer :lol:

Up the M6 to junction 39 then turn south on the A6, not much difference to our journeys to the Howgills so that was OK :D

We parked up in the northbound layby on the A6 around NY554063 got ourselves sorted and were off walking by 09.00.

We started on the track marked on the map heading in the general direction of Whatshaw Common.

After 15 minutes or so we cut off the track at a convenient crossing in the fence to visit spot height 484m

then returned to the track and carried on to find another convenient crossing point of said fence to get to the true summit at point 485m :roll:

I wish I'd looked at the map :lol: There's one thing about this little foray into the outliers, there's an awful lot of fences :shock: :lol:

Photo's taken we were off to Little Yarlside :)

Just like the Howgills the main way of getting about is on fairly well established quadbike tracks and paths where the quads can't cope, the tops of these fells have no cairns to speak of so it's a bit of a hunt around to find the summits, it all adds to the fun :lol:

Little Yarlside is just a hump in the landscape really but the views are ok. Then it's off to Great Yarlside which looks more like a mountain from this side :D

There's a steep section to the summit, probably the steepest of the whole round, from the top the views begin to get more interesting.

From the summit we headed for a gate in the fence at a junction and turned right on a quad track heading for
Wasdale Pike.

We kept the fence on our right and simply followed the track/fence all the way, it takes about 20 mins to Wasdale Pike and the views were opening up nicely towards the Pennines and the Lakes.

Looking at the map I realised there was another outlier within easy striking distance from where we were so we decided to visit Great Saddle Crag on our way back to the gate. The way over was pathless so we had to make our way avoiding the boggy bits, it's lumpy terrain, I guess in the clag it could be confusing making detours so I think these fells are best left for nice weather.

This only added about 10 mins to the walk back so an unplanned top under our belt, if I'd looked closer, we could have taken in Ulthwaite Rigg as well :roll:

Back at the gate we started the long trudge along the fence to Harrop Pike, when we got there we found a very impressive cairn so decided to have lunch and look at the views from where'd we'd been to the Eastern Fells of the Lake District,

I didn't realise how close to the Kentmere Horshoe and Highstreet we were.

Our next objectives looked a long way off too :shock:

From Harrop Pike we headed for the fence and followed it down to NY504067 to gain another quad track heading for Lords Seat. This section was very tussocky and a bit tiring :( Lords Seat has no cairn so another search for the high spot
but the views are good.

We could see our next objective, Robin Hood, but High House Bank was the one that looked pretty interesting and it still looked an awful long way away :lol:

Robin Hood has two cairns :shock: (it's the old bus thing) :lol: the views are good from both.

We had a snack then it was off to our final hill.

In the dip between the two there's a gate in the wall to get you on a path to High House Bank, looking at the path we guessed that this hill is well visited compared to the others, it's an easy romp to the summit, it looked quite the opposite from Robin Hood, it's surprising how hillsides change when you get closer :lol:

From the summit you get an idea how far you've travelled, most of the route is in view, they may not be very high but the distance travelled and the views make for a good day out.

The Pennines, far far away

From the summit we headed directly for Crookdale Bridge which was a mistake, a struggle to say the least, it was steep and tussocky and there were fences to cross, no stiles or gates, we headed for Crookdale Beck and managed to cross it at around NY549056, if there was more water in it it would be difficult :shock: in the process of looking for a way across the fence we startled a sheep which tried to jump over it, the poor thing managed to get a horn caught in the wire and was trapped, we couldn't leave it like that so we decided to have a go and free it. Surprisingly, when we got close she became quite calm and we managed to lift her head enough to get the horn clear, free from the fence we released our grip and she was off, hesitating slightly as if to say thankyou, one thing's for sure, sheep aren't half heavy :shock: :lol:

At Crookdale Bridge there's a finger post pointing the way along Shap Old Road which is the way back to the layby on the A6, an easy path to follow, on weary legs the little steep bit at the beginning was unwelcome :lol:

Back at the car we de-booted, de-rucsacked, had something to eat then set off home.

We had a great day out, initial thoughts about the Outlying Fells, yeah, let's give 'em a go :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: An adventure into Wainwrights Outlying Fells

Postby trailmasher » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:37 am

A good round of Birkett's there martin including Harrop Pike :clap: with a good report and photos showing just how wild it can be around the Shap Fells :roll: E and I have spent many an hour walking across them and enjoyed every minute of the peace and quiet seeing not another soul on any occasion :D
If you get around to doing the tops above Wet Sleddale Reservoir you could pick up Ulthwaite Rigg easily enough from Scam Matthew.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby martin.h » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:04 pm

trailmasher wrote:A good round of Birkett's there martin including Harrop Pike :clap: with a good report and photos showing just how wild it can be around the Shap Fells :roll: E and I have spent many an hour walking across them and enjoyed every minute of the peace and quiet seeing not another soul on any occasion :D
If you get around to doing the tops above Wet Sleddale Reservoir you could pick up Ulthwaite Rigg easily enough from Scam Matthew.

Thank you TM, I'll have a look at the Birketts, they may be another way of getting away from it all.
I've just looked at the outliers around Wet Sleddale Reservoir, I count six new un's and two repeats, that'll keep us occupied for a day :D

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby trailmasher » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:07 pm

martin.h wrote:
trailmasher wrote:A good round of Birkett's there martin including Harrop Pike :clap: with a good report and photos showing just how wild it can be around the Shap Fells :roll: E and I have spent many an hour walking across them and enjoyed every minute of the peace and quiet seeing not another soul on any occasion :D

Thank you TM, I'll have a look at the Birketts, they may be another way of getting away from it all.
I've just looked at the outliers around Wet Sleddale Reservoir, I count six new un's and two repeats, that'll keep us occupied for a day :D

Cheers

Check out Complete Lakeland Fells by Bill Birkett. Cheap on Amazon. :wink: :wink:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland