walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A circular walk around the base of Grange Fell.

A circular walk around the base of Grange Fell.

Postby trailmasher » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:03 pm

Date walked: 23/09/2021

Time taken: 4.23

Distance: 15.1 km

Ascent: 401m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A walk from Derwent Water.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The intention today was to climb Hart Side but as the clouds were low on the fells today a lower though slightly longer walk was done around the circumference of Grange Fell/Brund Fell’s base taking in a variety of roads, lanes, and paths with most of the ascent being from the foot of the Watendlath Road to the top of Puddingstone Bank, a distance of some 5.5 kilometres or 3.5 miles in old money.

This walk is by no means, design, or intention to be an epic, it’s just a substitute route to get us out for the day under the cloud base, away from the wind and intimated rain that together don’t go all that well when walking at height. It’s not as though I haven’t done plenty of that but sometimes a man wants to take it easy and there’s not much point climbing into the clouds with none of the familiar and beautiful views in sight that one has used up energy to see.

To walk around the perimeter of Grange Fell may seem a little odd and a ‘how can you do that without venturing onto the fell itself’ question may arise, but it is quite easy to follow the marked paths, lanes and roads that are visible on the OS Map therefore allowing a walk through a very mixed and picturesque landscape although some of the road walking is not necessarily a good part, though a requirement of the route.

Due to the recent influx and subsequent lingering of staycation visitors to the LD we arrived at the Kettlewell NT Car Park adjacent to the east side shore of Derwent Water just off the side of the B5289 Borrowdale road to find it occupied by only 2 other cars that was a nice surprise indeed so quickly getting into boots and all we set off walking north along the shore line path on our way to the start of the Watendlath road with a fair expanse of water and cloud covered fells before us, the tree filled 244 metre high hill of Swinside sitting low in the centre of the photo.

ImageNorth along Derwent Water from the Kettlewell NT Car Park

The path starts as a narrow but well made way running parallel to the road and Derwent Water sitting nicely between the two and below the road level.

ImageShoreline path from the car park

As we reached the shingle beach of Barrow Bay a look back south allowed a hazy peek into the Jaws of Borrowdale...

ImageSouth along Derwent Water

with the long ridge of Maiden Moor to the right and the west side of Grange Fell just poking out from the left.

From the northern side of Barrow Bay we had a good sighting of the cloud covered Skiddaw massif.

ImageThe Skiddaw massif from Barrow Bay

The calm surface of Derwent Water imitates the leaden sky that shows no signs of clearing away for anything better and I suppose we should be grateful, are grateful, that it isn’t raining. The path to here has been people free and apart from the quiet buzz of traffic along the road all has been peaceful with just the rippling of the water to disturb the stillness.

A little further along from the Bay is where we abandoned the path and took the short flight of steps up to the road which we crossed to access the metalled lane to Watendlath, a lane that is bracken and tree lined with just a few cars and delivery vans coming or going along it. The walk along the road is not ideal but at least it’s quiet and well graded making walking up it easy enough. A few birds hidden in the trees made themselves obvious enough with their birdsong and we saw a red squirrel dash across the road ahead of us. Just above from where the next photo was taken...

ImageThe Watendlath road above Strutta Wood

we came across a memorial to Robert Graham the famous Lakeland fell runner at approx NY26989 19847. A lovely little monument built from local stone – cobbles from the beck – and pieces of local slate with a brass plate set into it and hard to see due to the bracken being up. It must have been passed many times and gone unnoticed by thousands of walkers, especially in the summer months.

ImageBob Graham Memorial above Strutta Wood

Steady walking soon had us at Ashness Bridge where a camera group were set up taking photos of the water running below the bridge whilst I took one of the thin flow of water upstream of the bridge.

ImageBarrow Beck upstream from Ashness Bridge

It wasn’t too far to walk now before we could get off this damn tarmac, just past Ashness Farm and we can make our way through the trees and car park to Surprise View from where the views are fantastic although today they would be a poor showing of their usual self.

ImageAshness Farm nestled below Dodd

ImageNorthern view from Surprise View

Looking towards the south the full ridge of Maiden Moor to High Spy is in view across the water with the huge complex of the Lodore Hotel sitting below Gowder Crag.

ImageMaiden Moor to High Spy ridge

From this point we were walking through ancient woodland that was beginning to look autumnal with a scattering of golden leaves on the ground, bracken going brown, toadstools of varying shapes and colours with a few wild flowers just about hanging in there. So a lovely walk through the woods soon had us at the small clearing at Moss Mire where we decided to stop and have a few quiet moments enjoying the beauty of the place whilst having a drink.

Watenlath Beck is short on water and Reecastle Crag dominated the centre skyline.

ImageWatendlath Beck at Mossmire Coppice

We were now to follow the beck all the way to Watendlath enjoying the delights of both water and woodland...

ImageTwisted trees by Watendlath Beck

until we came to the clearing that runs for some length below Caffel Side below Ether Knott.

ImageA view south towards Watendlath

Ullscarf dominates the centre skyline in the next photo...

ImageThe gap between Reecastle Crag and Ether Knott

and then it’s the turn of Reecastle Crag to take centre if not full stage. It’s a lovely crag with a scattering of trees and carpets of rough fell grass holding on where they can and the nuisance of bracken commanding the lower slopes.

ImageReecastle Crag

There were more people about now, most of them wanderers from Watendlath just taking a stroll from the NT car park and coffee shop and as we arrived below Black Waugh I took a shot of where we had just come from.

ImageThe view north from the east side of Black Waugh

As we neared the hamlet we could hear the sounds of heavy machinery, predominately a ‘pecker’ that is a large breaker that fits onto the arm of an excavator and is used to break out solid rock or concrete and fifteen steady minutes later we were passing the source of the sound and site of the new hydro scheme on Watendlath Beck just north of the tarn. It looks a mess now but I’m sure it will be mostly concealed when it’s completed.

ImageNew hydro scheme at Watendlath

We tarried for a comfort break at the NT car park and passed the ‘Home of Judith Paris’ house. Judith Paris was the fictional heroine who lived in this real though fictional home featured in the Herries Novels set in the years 1720 to 1930 by Hugh Walpole. The novels are set partly in Watendlath and Paris during the French Revolution.

ImageFeatured in the Herries Novels

We walked back over the old packhorse bridge at the outflow from the beautiful Watendlath Tarn that just now is grey stretch of water sat amongst the green pastures of the surrounding farmland.

ImageWatendlath Tarn

From the bridge there is another section of climbing along a stony, sometimes paved, track that would put us at the top of Puddingstone Bank from where the views on a clear day are very extensive across Borrowdale and over to the Scafells and Great Gable. Today is not such a day.

ImageBorrowdale view from the top of Puddingstone Bank

These views have been photographed many times by many people including myself but every time that I pass this way I hope to see something different, some change in the landscape, nothing too serious, damaging or ugly like the snaking scar that runs up the side of Thornthwaite Fell and into The Combe where another hydro plant was installed a couple of years ago. But I must be fair and say that the scar of the wide and stony track is now blending slowly back into the landscape and probably looks no worse than any of the many such like tracks in the Lake District.

The track is to be found at the centre of the photo running up from the far green pasture.

ImageBorrowdale from Belt Knott

We descended this now rough track down Puddingstone Bank, a track that has washed out in many places leaving slippery rock behind needing care when, as today, the rock is wet and slick and when reaching the gate just below Birkett’s Leap – near the Resting Stone – we turned off to the west following the path through bracken and trees...

ImagePath through Frith Wood

ImageAutumn's calling

until arriving at the steep downhill bank through Frith Wood where many loose stones and tree roots await the unwary walker. After reaching the main road below Red Brow we now had another fair stretch of road walking to do before turning off to the Bowder Stone. Fortunately the Borrowdale Road was fairly quiet with not much traffic today and it wasn’t too long before we were going through the stile towards the famous Bowder Stone where today there was a few climbers practicing their holds and techniques under the overhang with crash mats at the ready. By this time we were having a few spots of rain falling with some quite bad mannerly landing on my camera lens.

ImageThe Bowder Stone

Another nice walk through the woods below King’s How and Cummacatta Wood saw us arrive at the road again just south of Grange which we would now walk through and follow the Allerdale Ramble and Cumbria Way route along the tarmac road and following Eller Beck towards Great Bay at the south end of Derwent Water taking note of the cloud hazed skyline of some eastern fells.

ImageEastern skyline

A good path soon had us at Great Bay where we opted to stop for a break even though we were quite near to the end of the walk by now. It was more to drink up what was left of our fluids than having to stop. But it is a great place to linger sat beneath the trees looking along the water.

ImageDerwent Water view from Great Bay

ImageGreat Bay on Derwent Water

Next on was the so called Chinese Bridge, so called due its design, that spans the River Derwent and for that to happen we had to use the elevated walkway that is made of re-cycled plastic that allows passage across this oft flooded low area of rough grass and sedges. There were a few cattle and sheep grazing and the ground was looking fairly dry just now due to the lack of rain over the past few weeks.

ImageWalkway across the low lying land south of Derwent Water

We arrived back at the car to find a few more parked up and saying how much we had enjoyed this simple low level walk noting that one doesn’t always have to get amongst the big fells and mountains to find pleasure in a simple but picturesque route. This route more or less encircles the base of Grange Fell therefore some road walking cannot be avoided but even these sections are through glorious areas of woodland and countryside.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Re: A circular walk around the base of Grange Fell.

Postby martin.h » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:51 pm

Hi TM
I enjoyed reading this, you're photies and narrative made me feel like we were there with you :D Now that it's quietening off a bit in the Lakes we're going to spend a bit of time on the lower fells using Mr Birkett's book, I managed to get a copy from Amazon so thanks for you're suggestion on that one, it gives me something to look at these coming winter evenings :D
I remember staying in Bowder Stone Cottage with a mountaineering club I was a member of in the late 70's, we used it as a base on several occasions, I remember spending evenings clambering all over the Bowder Stone, we had no such thing as a "crash mat" in those days, I can still feel the after effects of the impacts after we'd peeled off and hit the deck :lol:

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: A circular walk around the base of Grange Fell.

Postby trailmasher » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:58 am

martin.h wrote:Hi TM
I enjoyed reading this, you're photies and narrative made me feel like we were there with you :D Now that it's quietening off a bit in the Lakes we're going to spend a bit of time on the lower fells using Mr Birkett's book, I managed to get a copy from Amazon so thanks for you're suggestion on that one, it gives me something to look at these coming winter evenings :D
I remember staying in Bowder Stone Cottage with a mountaineering club I was a member of in the late 70's, we used it as a base on several occasions, I remember spending evenings clambering all over the Bowder Stone, we had no such thing as a "crash mat" in those days, I can still feel the after effects of the impacts after we'd peeled off and hit the deck :lol:

Cheers

Thanks for your comments martin.h :D . The Bowder Stone Cottage had a makeover a while ago but not sure what it is used for nowadays :? I found the Birkett and Nuttall's books at a time when I wanted to expand my roaming around the fells, hills, and mountains and I wasn't disappointed as I have walked in many areas of beauty that many people don't see with great hills that would charm the pages of some of Wainwright's books. These smaller fells that are tucked away in hidden corners are a joy and a pleasure to walk upon :D 8) The Birkett book alone kept me well occupied for many months.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland