walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Base Brown from Langdale? Oh go on then!

Base Brown from Langdale? Oh go on then!

Postby malky_c » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:32 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Base Brown, Bowfell, Eagle Crag, Esk Pike, Glaramara, Harrison Stickle, High Raise (Central Fells), Sergeant's Crag, Thunacar Knott

Hewitts included on this walk: Base Brown, Bowfell, Combe Head, Dovenest Crag, Esk Pike, Glaramara, Harrison Stickle, High Raise (Central Fells)

Date walked: 16/09/2021

Time taken: 10

Distance: 28.5 km

Ascent: 2650m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hewitts: Harrison Stickle, High Raise, Dovenest Crag, Combe Head, Glaramara, Base Brown, Esk Pike, Bowfell.
Date: 16/09/2021.
Distance: 28.5km.
Ascent: 2650m.
Time: 9 hours, 50 minutes.
Weather: Warm and sunny with occasional overcast spell on Bowfell.

Another day out on my own from the lodge at Langdale. Although we were on holiday, I had actually been doing a couple of days of work through the week, and I rapidly moved this full day off from Friday to Thursday after seeing the forecast. This turned out to be a good move :) .

A little later than intended I cycled the 3 miles or so up to the Old Dungeon Ghyll, and I was walking just before 9am. I had a rough plan in mind - pick off the outstanding Hewitts of Base Brown and Combe Head (a new one that had appeared since I was last on Glaramara), maybe add in some Wainwrights I hadn't been up (Sergeant Crag and Eagle Crag), and include a few classics that I'd been up before (Harrison Stickle, Glaramara and Bowfell). Most of this is not particularly logical from Langdale, but it's where we were staying and I had no desire to drive anywhere to look for parking - Stonethwaite and Seathwaite would probably be mobbed. Plus it gave a good long day out, something I've not done much of this year.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Raven Crag above the ODG

It was a lovely morning and unsurprisingly people were already up and about. I took the path up the eastern side of Dungeon Ghyll which leads between the Pikes. However I was sure that there would be a more direct way up Harrison Stickle. I was correct - in fact this could have been my descent route from about 20 years ago. I remember slithering around over big drops in the snow shortly after Christmas, wondering where we had gone wrong. There are a couple of brief scrambly moves and great views down onto Stickle Tarn and Pavey Ark, and before too long I was at the summit.

Pike o Blisco and Crinkle Crags

Stickle Ghyll

Pavey Ark emerging

Approaching the steep bit of Harrison Stickle

Pavey Ark and Stickle Tarn

Down Langdale to Windermere

I thought about going over some of the other nearby summits but didn't bother in the end. Pavey Ark is close by but the southeast face is a lot more interesting than the top. Instead I pushed on over Thunacar Knott to High Raise - the actual high point of these hills, but also the least distinguished. There was a little bit of cloud sitting over Great End and the Scafells, but other than that it was one of those lovely end of summer/beginning of autumn days.

Pike o' Stickle and Esk Pike

Blea Tarn to Pike o' Blisco

Bowfell and Esk Pike

The back of Helvellyn

After High Raise it was time to go off piste a bit. There is a bit of a path towards Sergeant's Crag but I missed it higher up. No matter - as I left Langdale behind, a whole new load of interesting views appeared ahead in the Borrowdale direction. Just past the summit of Sergeant's Crag, I stopped on a big slab of rock for my first break of the day.

Down into Langstrath from Sergeants Crag

Langstrath and the side of Glaramara

Stonethwaite and Borrowdale

The path was more obvious in the direction of Eagle Crag, which was another nice summit. I retraced my steps a short distance from here to make the descent down into Langstrath. I had a feeling this would be a bit wild and I was correct - in fact it was even heavier going than I imagined!

Sergeant's Crag from Eagle Crag

Looking down into Langstrath

The beginning was in deep heather, then shallower heather and scree, then deep bracken, scree and rocks. It took me the best part of an hour to get down - more than double my estimate, but it complied with malky's no. 1 rule: every visit to the Lakes must include at least one section of Scottish-style terrain :lol: .

At the bottom of Langstrath

I picked up the path on the east side of Langstrath and followed it to Blackmoss Pot, where I crossed the river. There were quite a few people swimming and exploring the gorge here, so I went upstream of the slightly to fill up with water.

Blackmoss Pot

I hadn't really decided how to get onto Glaramara. Jackie's parents had climbed up this flank a couple of days earlier anticipating some kind of path, but hadn't found one. I was less concerned about paths but was sure I could at least find something better than what I had just come down. The ridge of Cam Crag looked like it might be a good scramble, but I wasn't sure so I just went up steep ground to the north of it. There were animal tracks for a bit, and higher up the terrain wasn't to vegetated, so it wasn't a bad route at all.

Cam Crag - could have potentially been a good route up

Looking back to Eagle Crag and Sergeant's Crag

I hadn't specifically planned to visit the summit of Dovenest Crag but I was almost on it so I made the small diversion. It was interesting to get a proper look at the terrain up here - it is probably some of the roughest in the Lakes. I had come over Glaramara and Dovenest Crag in 2018 after camping out on Seathwaite Fell, and seen nothing due to poor visibility and spindrift blowing right into my face for the entire morning.

Bessyboot from Dovenest Crag

Great Gable and Pillar

Next were the numerous lumps and bumps I needed to cross to get to the summit of Glaramara. One of these was Combe Head - when this was promoted to a Hewitt recently I was hopeful that I'd been over it on my previous walk, but of course then I had been trying to find the shortest easiest route off the high hills and bypassed it entirely. It was very nice but no more so than any other lump of rock in the vicinity.

Combe Head from Dovenest Crag

Looking down the Combe of Glaramara

I was on an obvious path again for the final ascent and had another break overlooking the next bunch of hills to the west - I haven't seen these in a while. Right opposite was Base Brown, which by my stupid route would involve a 550m descent directly down the side of Glaramara followed by over 400m straight back up the other side :roll: .

Great Gable, Pillar, High Stile and Base Brown from Glaramara

Great End and Seathwaite Fell

Glaramara above Grains Ghyll

The way down was pretty steep - good turf high up, loose stones and dodging around outcrops lower down and mid-height bracken at the bottom. All in all it took quite a high level of concentration but was much faster than my first stupid descent of the day.

Looking down on Stockley Bridge

At Stockley Bridge there was a bit of reprieve in using the path towards Sty Head. This got me 150m of my ascent (not that I saw anything much of Taylorgill Force - it is well hidden), so I only had 300m or so of steep pathless hillside to take me onto Base Brown. Once past the initial bracken this was straightforward.

My descent route

Base Brown from Stockley Bridge

Stockley Bridge

Base Brown above Taylor Ghyll Force

The route off Base Brown was a mostly grassy descending traverse down to Styhead Tarn which wasn't too bad, then it was motorway paths all the way home. I had another stop at Sprinkling Tarn and a very quick paddle - more of a foot wash really.

Sty Head with Great End, Scafell Pike and Lingmell ahead

Styhead Tarn and Great End

Great and Green Gable

Sprinkling Tarn and Glaramara

Above Sprinkling Tarn

It would be easy enough to head back to Langdale via Rosset Ghyll and Mickleden from here, but I thought I may as well throw in a couple more hills since I was feeling good and the weather was decent. While I didn't pass many crowds on my rather odd route, there was a trickle of people passing by in most places all day. After passing a couple descending from Esk Hause, the trickle largely dried up.

Great Gable and Sprinkling Tarn

Esk Pike

Esk Pike was still in the sun but another band of lower cloud was moving across the highest Scafell summits and towards me. Would it engulf Bowfell before I reached it? I hoped not.

Great End from Esk Pike

I was all clear of the clag on Bowfell, but by the time I reached the summit it was a little grey. I was headed for The Band next, but decided to divert via Great Slab and the Climbers Traverse if I could find it. The top of the Great Slab was easily located so I dropped down the faint path next to it. This took me away from the sunshine (if it chose to re-emerge) but also past lots of interesting rock scenery. The traverse out to the top of The Band was longer than I remembered.

Langdale Pikes from Bowfell

Lingmoor and Pike o' Blisco from Bowfell

On the summit ridge of Bowfell

Scafell and Scafell Pike from Bowfell

Great Slab of Bowfell

Coniston Fells and Crinkle Crags from Bowfell

Bowfell summit

High Raise and the Eastern Lakes across Great Slab

Below the Great Slab

On the climbers traverse out from Great Slab

On my way down The Band the sun did come back out, with some lovely evening light across the Langdale face of the Pikes. I made quick progress down the path to Stool end, then it was a bit of a plod back to the ODG along the tarmac driveway.

Pike o' Stickle from The Band

Langdale Pikes from The Band

To round off the day I had a quick pint at the ODG before cycling back to the lodge. A very satisfying day out 8) .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Base Brown from Langdale? Oh go on then!

Postby Pointless Parasite » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:44 pm

You're insane.

A great report and a great peakbagging round. You did right to leave Pavey Ark for another day. Jack's Rake is one of the Lake Distict's finest routes and needs to be savoured.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:58 am

That has to be the most off the wall route to Base Brown ever!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

But looks like it was an absolutely cracking day.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby dav2930 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:15 pm

I wonder if anyone ever before has set off from Langdale with the conscious objective of bagging Base Brown? :think:
Seeing your route on the map, it doesn't actually look as crazy as it sounds. Still a heck of a lot of up and down, though, esp. taking in Glaramara too. You must have had a surfeit of energy (should maybe plug you in to the national grid?) :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Chris Henshall » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:09 pm

Thanks for that Malky, really enjoyed it!
I've descended west from both Eagle Crag and from Glaramara and it'd be fair to say that you're cutting across the grain of the country. I'm only surprised that you didn't try and get up Base Brown via the steep gully lines which stretch upslope from Taylorgill Force!
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland