walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A climb into Wandhope's Addacomb Hole.

A climb into Wandhope's Addacomb Hole.

Postby trailmasher » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:57 pm

Date walked: 01/10/2021

Time taken: 3.49

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 562m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Addacomb Hole route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Chris and I have had some on-line dialogue about his intentions regarding No. 214 and he has decided that it would be sometime this month, October; however a couple of walks to loosen up beforehand seemed to be an appropriate requirement and check on how things are working. A shortish walk of about 14.5 kilometres – 9 miles - involving about 980 metres – 3,200 feet – of height gain that included Wandhope, Crag Hill, Sail, Ard Crags and Knott Rigg was decided upon with options to bail out after dropping down from the saddle between Sail and Scar Crags opposite Ard Crags therefore missing out the last two fells. The bail out did happen although earlier than anticipated and not at the place where we had initially chosen.

We arrived at the small car park behind Buttermere Church to find only another two cars there so worth setting off early to get here. The weather was as forecast, windy, full cloud cover and damp as I took the first of today’s photos in the direction of the church showing a low cloud base over the High Stile range...

ImageDodd with Ling Comb to the right of it

whilst a look further around to the south showed all three tops under cloud and a very full and white Sourmilk Gill rushing down from Bleaberry Tarn.

ImageDodd - High Stile - High Crag

We booted up and strode down the road to pass through the small metal gate opposite the Bridge Hotel into the wood to follow the rising path above Mill Beck as it tumbled over the rocks and fallen branches, full, noisy and plenty of white spume as it fell from small waterfalls into frothy pools.

ImageMill Beck

Even as we walked the leaves were dropping from the trees as they got ready for their winters sleep and although the path is good there are a few areas where exposed, slippery and worn tree roots are looking for the unwary boot to make a mistake and after a good few metres of easy walking we were properly inside of Ghyll Wood and its beautifully covered mossy slopes and fallen trees.

ImageGhyll Wood

It’s a pleasure just walking through these trees, a tonic in itself, a place where the low clouds don’t really matter as they are no bother to us high up above the trees, later they will be no doubt, but for now we’ll enjoy the walk without them.

Ten minutes later we had climbed up the few steps to pass through the stile and see blue sky behind Knott Rigg and Ard Crags...

ImageNortheast towards Knott Rigg

whilst looking back over to Buttermere there was the High Stile range, Haystacks with Great Gable sat behind it and even though its damp and cloudy it seems to enhance the beauty of the scene, atmospheric, almost ethereal.

ImageHigh Stile - High Crag - Haystacks and Great Gable

We were taking the lower path for now and would start our easy climbing along the well graded path at NY18087 17524 where the path breaks away left from this lower one but it was just before we arrived at the first climb of around 25 metres along the unnamed watercourse before I grabbed a shot along the valley and Mill Beck before it morphs into Sail Beck.

ImageNortheast towards Sail - Scar Crags - Causey Pike

The bracken is dying off although that won’t help us later on as we reach Addacomb Beck. A look across and up Bleak Rigg gave us a fair view of the eastern crags of Whiteless Pike and Whiteless Edge.

ImageLooking to Whiteless Pike and Whiteless Edge

All the way along to Addacomb Beck the path is good and well graded with just the short steady climbing up and out of the unnamed beck and Third Gill, around halfway between the two I took a photo along the valley and what is now Sail Beck.

ImageA view along Sail Beck

So far the weather has been kind to us although there was a cold, strong wind blowing a few drops of rain possibly from the edges of over passing but unseen rain showers and by now we were walking into Third Gill losing about 11 metres of height before we crossed over the gill and started the climb out the other side. Third Gill starts its journey at the northern end of Whiteless Edge directly below the summit of Wandhope firstly tumbling through a few crags before reaching kinder ground in this narrow defile. It actually looks – albeit with a little difficulty - as though a way could be made up to Wandhope. We’ll give it a miss this time round. At the lowest point along the gill there is a steep path bearing off to the right and not necessarily the quickest looking at the effort required to get up it. The green slopes were bathed in a soft patch of sunlight making the crags look softer than they are.

ImageView along Third Gill towards Whiteless Pike

Having climbed back out of the gill we were well on our way to Addacomb Beck where we would take a break and some shelter from the wind. A look back showed that the High Stile range were no longer visible due to the mass of High Snockrigg, the edge of Robinson and lower slopes of Knott Rigg.

ImageThe lower slopes of Knott Rigg and High Snockrigg below Robinson

From Third Gill it’s almost level walking to Addacomb Beck along the 350 metre contour and one of the first things that we spotted was the large washed out scree gully that starts from below Scar Crag cutting a swathe through the path.

ImageStorm damage below Scar Crag on Sail

It seems hard to imagine the power and force of water that can wash away so much stone and cause such damage as it does.

We were now at Addacombe Beck with its multiple waterfalls running out of or near to Addacomb Hole.

ImageAddacomb Beck below Scar Crag

There are the remains of three stone built structures that due to the shape of them were surely not sheepfolds. The stones have been cut and set purposely so maybe the remains of long forgotten mining activities?

ImageRemains of old buildings on Addacomb Beck

It’s quite some time since I was last here, probably 10 years or more and it’s a place that I like very much in its isolation it being about halfway between Buttermere and the old quarry car park at the metalled lane opposite the new Purple House at Rigg Beck bridge.

Casting my mind back to when I first climbed the east ridge to Wandhope summit from here I remember that it was fairly hard going and the route was up the easiest contours – if there are any easy ones – that begin slightly south of east just below the first of the stone structures but looking at it just now it didn’t look too attractive a route as it was covered in bracken as far as the eye could see up the bank. Anyway, I had heard a rumour that there was maybe a path that followed the beck up to the Hole and right enough we could see the makings of one just behind the old buildings and decided to give it a course of looking at after we had a short break.

Break over we began to follow the faint path alongside the beck with it almost disappearing in places as we started the climb but within just a few metres it had run out as the fellside steepened. We continued on at a slow rate as the going was rough and tough with moss, bilberry, and heather with slippery stones hidden beneath it all as we worked our way through some small crags stopping frequently to get our breath back. This must be one of the hardest climbs that I’ve done.

A rest and photo from the 413 metre point showed up the waterfalls as they collected to fill Addacomb Beck.

ImageAddacomb Beck from the 413 point

Twenty one minutes later and only 62 metres further forward we stopped as I took another look back towards Ard Crags partly hidden by the south slopes of Sail.

ImageArd Crags behind the slopes of Sail

A patch of pale sunlight fighting through the clouds helped to lighten the scene but not our spirits as we battled on up these steep slopes until finally after another 35 minutes we stood on the edge of Addacombe Hole and the site of sheepfold that we would gladly step into for a well earned break.

ImageAddacomb Hole below Wandhope

That was hard work to say the least and a combination of being 10 years older, a long layoff from decent walks due to Covid and a bad knee did nothing to make this climb any easier and the elevation graph taken from my GPS will show just how steep this fellside is at this point of climbing. At least the knee didn’t give me any real problems on the way up, but it did later on the way down, though my legs as we stood on the relatively level ground felt as though I had just disembarked from a storm tossed boat and was still on my sea legs.

ImageAddacomb Hole elevation graph

Addacomb Hole is a big bowl and looks like a giant ladle has scooped out the ground from between the ring of crags the largest being Scar Crag on the north face.

ImageScar Crag overlooking Addacomb Hole

Working around to the west from the crags there is a scree gully that looks as though it has been used as an exit on a good few occasions followed by a face of pink coloured scree with a second scree run and finally moving around to Wandhope are the crags along the side of the ridge from the Hole to the summit.

We walked over the rough grass to the sheepfold where we had a bite to eat and reviewed our options for this walk finally deciding that we had had enough and it was more prudent to retrace our steps than continue and struggle especially with the weather starting to break. We saw four walkers descending Sail ridge but they looked to be struggling with the wind so we didn’t see any value in continuing at this stage and the hills are going nowhere. The climb along the ridge from the Hole is actually not too bad with a decent path all the way up to the summit so we will retreat after our break and tackle it from the easier slopes when the bracken is down. As it was windy the fold was a welcome spot to take our break with far reaching views towards the east.

ImageAn eastern view from Addacomb Hole

ImageOld sheepfold in Addacomb Hole

I can see the value of having a sheepfold in this spot as it's hidden, sheltered, and there's food and water. It may have been built so far back in time as to be a safe place to hide the sheep from the Scottish Reivers but to what other purpose to drive sheep into this large bowl I couldn't start to guess as it's such a steep climb whichever way one takes, either up or down. Maybe someone out there knows the reason?

Back over to the northeast the steep slopes of Sail look daunting in their ruggedness.

ImageScar Crag and Sail

There is a fairly well trodden path leading away from the fold towards its eastern edge so we decided to see where it went to as the one that we used at the bottom ran out soon enough but as soon as it got to the edge where the feeder watercourse ran out of the bowl it ran out and it was at this point that I took the next photo...

ImageA view towards Ard Crags - Robinson and an eastern fells skyline

and as we left the edge a look back gave a good view of the ridge up to Wandhope summit, a photo that belies the steepness of this lovely and airy ridge.

ImageWandhope summit as we leave Addacombe Hole

We got down the fellside quicker though no easier than we got up it as the steepness of it knocked seven bells out of the legs with both of us now complaining of sore knees and I was actually beginning to cramp up in my right leg – the troublesome one – something that hasn’t happened in the past. Chris was no better as I could hear him bitching and cursing behind me and even descending warranted a few stops to ease the legs somewhat.

From the 494 point this is what Ard Crags looks like with a good portion of Knott Rigg also.

ImageArd Crags and Knott Rigg

Arriving once again at the old structures we took time for a drink and leg rest before setting off back to Third Gill from where we would drop down to the old sheepfold and lower path that runs alongside first of all Sail Beck and then Mill Beck as we get below Knott Rigg. As we set off once again I took a picture of the ridge once again.

ImageWandhope's east ridge

There’s nothing else for it now but to take a few photos and the easy walking back to Buttermere and from below Wandhope I got a photo of its highest crags on its south eastern face and a good front view of Sail. Somewhere before reaching Third Gill is where the gusting wind blew me over, fortunately with no lasting damage apart from crap on my cloths.

ImageCrags below Wandhope

ImageScar Crag and Sail

It didn’t take too long to reach Third Gill where the rain finally caught up with us as can be seen on the next photo...

ImageThe rain caught us in Third Gill

and from where we followed it down to where we left the higher path and followed a path through bracken down to Sail Beck and the aforementioned sheepfold long ago collapsed and overgrown with bracken from where there is a long view along Sail Beck.

ImageNortheast along Sail Beck

The path following Sail Beck is, and falls very gently on its way down to Buttermere and just before the beck changed its name to Mill we could see the bowl of Bleaberry Tarn between Red Pike and High Stile with light rays shining into it lighting up the green of the grass.

ImageHigh Stile behind High Snockrigg

The lower slopes of Knott Rigg was now to our left, slopes that we would obviously now not be descending, the beck was running fast, the wind in our faces. In fact it’s been so cold that gloves had to be worn for most of the walk. Some steady walking soon had us below the south slopes of Whiteless Pike from where could see that the cloud had lifted off the high fells.

ImageLing Comb edge - Red Pike behind Dodd - High Stile with Great Borne far right

Despite the heavy cloud cover the area around Bleaberry Tarn is still lit up.

ImageRays over Bleaberry Tarn

It was now but a short walk to pass by High House Crag behind Ghyll Wood from where the last few photos were taken.

ImageThe dead amongst the living

ImageA southern view from High House Crag

ImageHigh Snockrigg

ImageLower southern slopes of Whiteless Pike

And finally, Buttermere where a distant view shows Warnscale Beck as a white slash amongst the dark background of rocks and rough fell grasses whilst Sourmilk Gill and High Stile’s unnamed beck refuses to hide themselves.

ImageA view over Buttermere from High House Crag

Despite the disappointment of not fully completing the walk and the weather being a bit iffy this has been a decent one in which retreat was the better part of valour, as they say, and can be tackled again on a better day when both weather and fitness levels are somewhat improved. It’s a walk that I’ve done before without any bother but circumstances were a bit different then with better weather, no bracken and better legs but no bother, we’ve had a decent walk so we can now console ourselves with a trip to the local hostelry for the inquest and a couple of the best.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Re: A climb into Wandhope's Addacomb Hole.

Postby dav2930 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:33 pm

What an interesting little trip TM. Addacomb Hole looks fascinating and to make that the destination of a walk is really thinking outside the box! I remember, not so long ago, looking across at the south face of Crag Hill from Wandope and thinking there might be a good scrambling route up there, though I suspect the rock/shale would be horribly loose :crazy: Nice report :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby martin.h » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:50 pm

That's an interesting way to get away from the busier parts of Buttermere and surrounding Fells TM, it does look like hard work though. We came down the East ridge when we were coming off Wandope and thought how impressive Addacomb Hole looked from above.
I can sympathise with the creaky legs and knees, it must be an age thing :roll: we're beginning to dread the descents nowadays but, I guess, what goes up must come down, as they say, at least we can stop and take photos of beautiful surroundings :D

Great report and photos :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby trailmasher » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:27 pm

dav2930 wrote:What an interesting little trip TM. Addacomb Hole looks fascinating and to make that the destination of a walk is really thinking outside the box! I remember, not so long ago, looking across at the south face of Crag Hill from Wandope and thinking there might be a good scrambling route up there, though I suspect the rock/shale would be horribly loose :crazy: Nice report :)

Thanks for your kind comments dav :D and it really does make a great round of a walk 8) The screes in the Hole look as though they have been used but are made up of small loose stones that we didn't fancy tackling especially in the wind and wet weather :roll: Again, thanks.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:44 am

Looks to be a good place to get away from it all in the Lakes, can't think it's too popular. At the moment however I'm not sure fitness levels are really what they could be so one for the future.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:11 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Looks to be a good place to get away from it all in the Lakes, can't think it's too popular. At the moment however I'm not sure fitness levels are really what they could be so one for the future.

It's a really great spot for some peace and quiet JK and as you could guess, not often frequented. Our fitness levels were really pushed on this climb in and needs working on but steady as she goes gets you there eventually :) Thanks for your comments, always welcome :)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland