walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

214 the perfect Place to end

214 the perfect Place to end

Postby thefallwalker » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:55 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Place Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Place Fell

Date walked: 17/08/2021

Time taken: 3

Distance: 8.6 km

Ascent: 585m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Place Fell.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Well, after a 6 year mission, i finally scaled the last summit of my "Wainwright" adventure :D
What started out as a 2 day "jolly boys outing/charity walk" to raise funds for Zoes place (a children's hospice in Middlesbrough) in June '15 has now culminated on Place fell.
I could not have achieved this without the knowledge, patience & above all the friendship of Trailmasher :clap:
We only met the night before the 2015 walk in his local boozer, but since that 1st encounter we have developed a friendship that has only strengthened through our journeys & laughs as well as a few tears along the way, as well as the addition of my other "best pal" Sonny the cockerdor who started to join us on these walks from the summer of '17 :)
After my 1st Wainwright was achieved on the top of Red Pike (Buttermere) i was well n truly hooked & so started what was meant to be a few "social" walks but rapidly evolved into what was meant to be a 3 year walkfest of the Lake Districts finest! as i work offshore on an equal time rotation 3 years was about as quick as we could realistically do them.

Things started off really well & we were well on track to achieve all 214 within the 3 year timescale. But alas i was struck down with cancer in October 18, an operation in the November coupled with total rest & reflection of what had happened kept me off the hills for approx 6 months :thumbdown: however all 3 of us were back up n running by the summer of '19. things progressed well & by the time we had done Grange & Great Crag in January '20 we only had 2 more to do, Tarn crag (E) & Place fell :D
However when the "pandemic" struck in March, no one was walking & it was during this period i was once again struck down with cancer, only this time it wasn't as simple as just an operation to get rid, i had to go through a course of radiotherapy running alongside chemotherapy. this was successful so another operation took place in Nov 20. once again i was laid up & recuperating for 6 months, only this time i was feeling the effects for a lot longer than previous. But in May this year i finally dragged myself & TM up Tarn crag on a glorious day :D which only left Place fell to complete 8)

fast forward to now, after some more recovering (i tend to get very tired for no reason these days) we finally took the track to "top" out on PF.
It was a glorious but cold n breezy Friday (8th Oct) we parked right outside the "old" school in Patterdale for 08:45 & began the walk up my 214.
13A034F2-4B87-4D55-93A2-C4E57539E5EE.jpeg
the start

A nice steady start to walk as we walked towards Side farm but turned left over the small bridge & headed South (i guess) along the river,
BF3D3141-45C3-4A42-8AD7-11F86EB23106.jpeg

until we reached the metalled lane & began walking towards PF, our ascent would be up the West face of the fell in a diagonal line which can be seen from the road, veering off about 200m from Silver Crag to take the steeper line up which would culminate at the top of the Knight, a lovely Birkett with stunning 360 views of the immediate & distant fells albeit the the fells around the Kirkstone path & Helvellyn range were in cloud & would remain so for most of the day.
Before our final ascent onto the Knight we stopped for a brew, a sandwich & of course a whinge about all things Britain :lol: we weren't restricted by time or light today as it is only a medium walk unlike some of the missions TM as had me on during our 6 years together :crazy:
Anyway tea break over it was a steady but pretty steep final pull onto the Knight,
265125C7-344D-4689-9372-A6383976D57A.jpeg

a few pics then onto the the main objective of the day :D another steady ascent had us "topping" out on Place fell a little while later :D,
FEEF7B5D-0B34-43A0-9F31-34E4C2263201.jpeg

i must admit that it was a proud moment for me & i took time to reflect on the journey we had both taken :) after the obligatory summit pics we trudged off down the South face of the fell to pick up the "tourist route" down to Boredale hause to find some respite from the windchill, well we thought it was cold although countless walkers making their way up were mostly in shirt sleeves :shock: (the joys of getting old" i guess! after another pitstop we took the path down that has had a lot of repair work done it since the floods to Side farm then onto the car.
913170BC-ADE1-4CF2-B8A4-046DB72D8127.jpeg
pictures from the day

913170BC-ADE1-4CF2-B8A4-046DB72D8127.jpeg

5BE32355-BCB8-468F-97D7-EA33717E44D7.jpeg

8C9E3699-541A-425C-BCC0-8C93BBAEE73C.jpeg

1D796AA0-C5F0-45E0-B199-1D016FCE12B7.jpeg

Just to finally finish :lol: I want to take this opportunity to thank my mentor & great friend Jon (TM) for everything over these last 6 years, your friendship has inspired me & helped me to achieve things that i hadn't even thought of, so thank you mate :clap: & i look forward to many more days out on "them there hills shag" :thumbup:
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   

Re: 214 the perfect Place to end

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:51 pm

Congratulations! It sounds like you've gone through a lot to get there :)

Looks like it was a good day, too - amazing sky.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:51 pm

Many Congratulations upon completion of the Wainwrights, an impressive enough task on it's own without what you've been through away from the hills. Truly inspirational :clap: :clap: :clap:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:06 pm

Well done TFW a great effort and achievement after the last 2 years or so :clap: :clap: Despite the moans, groans, and bitching following in my wake it has been an enjoyable - if not sometimes fraught - journey even on the many not so good days that we have been through. :-D 8) You've got to keep going mate and I have a couple of routes... :roll: :wink:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179

Postby dav2930 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:14 pm

Congratulations TFW. Considering all you've been through, plus the frustrations of the pandemic, all the Wainies in 6 years is a fantastic achievement. My campaign, not that it ever really was a campaign, was spread over a lot longer than that! Nice choice for your final one; looked like you got a great day for those glorious views. I'm sure your story will be an inspiration to many :clap: :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby martin.h » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:13 pm

Many congratulations TFW, I bet you felt a great sense of achievement standing on the summit of No 214, you're proof that we should never give up, well done :clap:

Stay strong and all the best.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby thefallwalker » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:08 am

nigheandonn wrote:Congratulations! It sounds like you've gone through a lot to get there :)

Looks like it was a good day, too - amazing sky.

many thanks for your comments! :D
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Postby thefallwalker » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:09 am

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Many Congratulations upon completion of the Wainwrights, an impressive enough task on it's own without what you've been through away from the hills. Truly inspirational :clap: :clap: :clap:

many thanks JK!
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Postby thefallwalker » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:10 am

trailmasher wrote:Well done TFW a great effort and achievement after the last 2 years or so :clap: :clap: Despite the moans, groans, and bitching following in my wake it has been an enjoyable - if not sometimes fraught - journey even on the many not so good days that we have been through. :-D 8) You've got to keep going mate and I have a couple of routes... :roll: :wink:

thanks mate & hopefully many more to come, starting tomorrow! :lol: :D
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Postby thefallwalker » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:11 am

dav2930 wrote:Congratulations TFW. Considering all you've been through, plus the frustrations of the pandemic, all the Wainies in 6 years is a fantastic achievement. My campaign, not that it ever really was a campaign, was spread over a lot longer than that! Nice choice for your final one; looked like you got a great day for those glorious views. I'm sure your story will be an inspiration to many :clap: :clap:

many thanks for your comments! :D
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Postby thefallwalker » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:12 am

martin.h wrote:Many congratulations TFW, I bet you felt a great sense of achievement standing on the summit of No 214, you're proof that we should never give up, well done :clap:

Stay strong and all the best.

Yes i did :D as well as blowing a bit :lol:
thanks for your kind words :D
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland