walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Picking up Splinters around Scandale

Picking up Splinters around Scandale

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:40 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: High Pike (Eastern Fells), Little Hart Crag, Low Pike, Middle Dodd, Red Screes

Hewitts included on this walk: Little Hart Crag, Red Screes

Date walked: 06/06/2021

Time taken: 6

Distance: 16.9 km

Ascent: 1036m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I am well behind in my reports for several reasons I'll not go into, but thought I'd start to catch up by seeing what I can remember :lol: from this day as it seems, and is, a while ago now.

My aim was to complete a Scandale round which would conveniently knock off the remaining Eastern fells I'd still to complete on round two. I could of course have started from Ambleside but decided upon a spacious layby towards the bottom of the Struggle. When I turned up (fairly) bright and early the layby was close to being filled by two 'overnighters' in camper vans. I managed to squeeze in, held my breath at the stench from the on board chemical toilet, and set off down the struggle on what was a truly blissful morning.

The Struggle on a perfect morning

Middle Grove Farm

Dramatic clouds over Wansfell

To avoid the climb at the end of the walk I chose a clockwise direction and was soon enjoying the shade on the track up Scandale heading towards High Sweden Bridge. It was soon obvious, once the climb started in earnest that It was going to be a really warm day and the breakfast stop at the summit of Low Pike was most welcome.

Nab Scar

Lakeland Lane

Bowfell and the Langdales

Shady

High Sweden Bridge

Scandale Bluebells

Little Hart Crag at the head of Scandale

Windermere

Light and shade in Scandale

Wall up to Low Pike

Low Pike Summit

Hot Dog

Breakfast done with the climb continued up to High Pike which once reached, an easier gradient could be enjoyed. My initial plan was to take in Dove Crag at this point but I decided that High Bakestones was a more fitting destination for a Scandale round so off we trotted to visit the one remaining cairn from a purge a few years back. The survivor is a beautifully built construction and in all honesty far more elegant in it's isolation than with a gaggle of inferior siblings.

Scandale Beck

Ahead to High Pike

Back to a sunlit Low Pike

Little Hart Crag

Looking back down the ridge

Coniston Fells

High Pike Summit

Scandale

Towards the Scafells

First glimpse of Brothers Water

Fine Cairn on High Bakestones

Height now needed to be lost as we plunged down towards Little Hart Crag. This day could not be more of a contrast when compared to my last visit to this fell top when conditions verged on total white out. This time I wandered over the summit before finding a bed of Bilburrys in the little hollow over looking the view of Brothers Water and enjoyed lunch in the warm, calm conditions. This had to be one of the nicest, most comfortable lunch stops I've ever enjoyed on my Lakeland wanderings, pure bliss. :D

Scandale Tarn

High Hartsop Dodd and Brothers Water from Little Hart Crag

Hughie cutathon part one

Part two

Part three

One last Hughie shot

Towards Helvellyn from Little Hart Crag

Scandale from the summit of Little Hart Crag

Next up was the losing of more height as we dropped down to Scandale Head before heading off the path in the direction of Middle Dodd. If I'm honest I'd hoped to come across a trod for this section but none materialised out of the rough uneven terrain and with Hughie objecting to my choice of route it became a real chore which eventually came to an end when the summit was reached. I sat an had a rest and a few more rations and also started to notice the pain in my shins which I hadn't suffered for years and never in my hill walking days. That said I had been a bit sore following some recent walks but thought it was more fitness issues. With not a lot I could do about it at this point we plodded up the final top of the day, Red Screes.

Scandale Head

Caiston Glenn

Middle Dodd Summit

Red Screes

Looking back to middle Dodd

Final top reached I found an out of the way spot to enjoy the views before starting the long slog down the broad, poorly defined South ridge. This was a long, easy but largely dull descent brightened in part with the lovely view of Rydal Water which comes into view around half way down.

Trig point on Red Screes

...and again, looking North

South from Red Screes

My eyes!

Middle Dodd from Red Screes

Summit tarn, Red Screes

Kirkstone Pass

Rydal Water

Downhill all the way

One last shot

Once back to the Struggle and walking on tarmac my shins were certainly feeling it as I hobbled back to the car on what was now a roasting hot afternoon at this altitude. The next few days I was in a lot of pain and eventually I looked at the Svartz footbeds of my Alt-Bergs. Unsurprisingly for a set of footbeds I'd had since I purchased the boots many years back and didn't replace when I got the boots re-soled, were totally gone and almost see through in places :lol: Well that might explain things.

Scandale Round.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Picking up Splinters around Scandale

Postby trailmasher » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:55 pm

Good report and pics there JK as ever :clap: and a great weather day for it also. Hughie looks quite laid back and unfazed by the distance and height gain :) 8) . I did a similar route to you on an equally hot day but I started at Cow Bridge and did anti-clockwise climbing up to Red Screes via the ridge and dropped off down Middle Fell for which my knees suffered for a while :roll:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:11 pm

trailmasher wrote:Good report and pics there JK as ever :clap: and a great weather day for it also. Hughie looks quite laid back and unfazed by the distance and height gain :) 8) . I did a similar route to you on an equally hot day but I started at Cow Bridge and did anti-clockwise climbing up to Red Screes via the ridge and dropped off down Middle Fell for which my knees suffered for a while :roll:

Hughie is generally Ok but this summers outings have shown him to be slowing up. He's never liked the heat but now he seems to really not like the heat. I even ended up leaving him on an outing to Ennerdale on what was a boiling hot day. I think the really long outings with rough terrain are probably beyond him a bit now so I think his hills will become a bit smaller and grassy.
I love walking from Hartsop but most routes certainly test the fitness going up and the knees coming down, I descended Hartsop Dodd on a walk this summer and even though i was expecting it and i'd been up that way previously it still comes as a bit of a shock just how steep it is.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby dav2930 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:35 pm

Looked a perfect day for a nice alternative to the Fairfield Horseshoe. Outstanding photos, as we've come to expect from you JK! Sorry to hear Hughie is slowing down a bit. Age creeps up on us all, I suppose, though I reckon he does pretty well for a small dog. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:31 pm

Lovely pics of the Lakes. Hartsop is a great starting place :D (if you can get a parking space). We used to head North: then up the miners track to Boredale Hause, back over High Street via Angle Tarn, on to Thornthwaite and down the ridge over Gray Crag (hard on the knees). Until Bob Allen wrote "The ridges of Lakeland" that descent ridge used to be near trackless. He was a lovely man but had a lot to answer for :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:39 pm

dav2930 wrote:Looked a perfect day for a nice alternative to the Fairfield Horseshoe. Outstanding photos, as we've come to expect from you JK! Sorry to hear Hughie is slowing down a bit. Age creeps up on us all, I suppose, though I reckon he does pretty well for a small dog. :)

Thanks Dav. Hughie is 12 or the equivalent of 64 in small dog years, if I'm doing half as well when I'm 64 I'll be pretty chuffed :lol:

past my sell by date wrote:Lovely pics of the Lakes. Hartsop is a great starting place :D (if you can get a parking space). We used to head North: then up the miners track to Boredale Hause, back over High Street via Angle Tarn, on to Thornthwaite and down the ridge over Gray Crag (hard on the knees). Until Bob Allen wrote "The ridges of Lakeland" that descent ridge used to be near trackless. He was a lovely man but had a lot to answer for :lol: :lol:

Thank you very much. I agree entirely about Hartsop, a bit less time in bed is always worth it to have a day out from there. I've found a few pathless ridges in the Lakes over the years but not many I must admit.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland