walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nordkalottleden - 800 km across the Arctic Circle

Nordkalottleden - 800 km across the Arctic Circle

Postby caromiri » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:29 am

Date walked: 27/10/2021

Distance: 800 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi everyone

September saw us venture back to the Artic Circle, where we had previously completed the King's Trail in June. Follow my husband 800 km across Sweden, Norway and Finland as he's racing Northbound against the Arctic Winter that's coming his way.

Chapter 1: Takes him from Kvikkjokk into Padjelanta National Park, the traditional land of the Sami full of raindeers, lakes and autumn colours, discovering the very first hut for hikers from the 19th century

Chapter 2: Takes him higher into Sami land

Chapter 3: Takes him close to the finish of the first leg of the Nordkalottleden, as he nears the end of the Padjelantaleden and finds his way to Ritsem to resupply. He realises snow is coming is way...

caromiri
Walker

Re: Nordkalottleden - 800 km across the Arctic Circle

Postby jacob » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:35 pm

I must say, not only is the landscape incredibly beautiful, his effort great, videoquality high, but also his style of presentation is very good. Calm, clear and completely in harmony with the landscape he's in. Nice to find another vlogger that meets my preferences. Keep up the good work.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby Always Forward » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:54 pm

jacob wrote:I must say, not only is the landscape incredibly beautiful, his effort great, videoquality high, but also his style of presentation is very good. Calm, clear and completely in harmony with the landscape he's in. Nice to find another vlogger that meets my preferences. Keep up the good work.

Hello Jacob,

Thanks so much for the lovely feedback, it's much appreciated! :clap: l hope you continue enjoying my Nordkalottleden videos!

l'm now reading your "northern Folgefonna, Norway" blog entry. Based only on the pictures you took, it seems like a fantastic place for me to go and make a new movie!

Very best,

Antonio
Always Forward
Backpacker

Postby Pointless Parasite » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:55 pm

Just finished watching the third of these films and have really enjoyed them, thanks for sharing. The trainers are an interesting footwear choice but I can see the logic. I'm sure if I wore so-called 'waterproof' gore-tex boots they would be dry for one or two days, then start leaking like a sieve and never dry out. These are the perfect conditions for trench foot; cold and wet, so getting footwear right is critical.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Always Forward » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:33 pm

Pointless Parasite wrote:Just finished watching the third of these films and have really enjoyed them, thanks for sharing. The trainers are an interesting footwear choice but I can see the logic. I'm sure if I wore so-called 'waterproof' gore-tex boots they would be dry for one or two days, then start leaking like a sieve and never dry out. These are the perfect conditions for trench foot; cold and wet, so getting footwear right is critical.

Thank you, l'm happy you enjoyed them!

l use trainers when l want to put mileage and go fast. If l was to only film a given location (and slowly walk around 10km days), l would wear boots probably. To me, both are tools that are at my disposal. I agree with your comment about GTX boots (or shoes).
Always Forward
Backpacker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland