walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

ILLGILL HEAD & WHIN RIGG - WASTWATER SCREES

ILLGILL HEAD & WHIN RIGG - WASTWATER SCREES

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:04 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Illgill Head, Whin Rigg

Date walked: 04/04/2011

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 737m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day before we had walked from Gosforth around the beautiful Blengdale Forest, about 6 miles but it was back to the fells today and parking at Brackenclose, at the head of Wastwater. Although a bit cool we set off in good weather and high spirits, hoping for some views today :(

illgill.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It's always a wonderful place to be and although still not clear there were some sights to see.
IMG_5364.JPG
Illgill Head from car park
IMG_5367.JPG
Climb to Lingmell
Even from the foothills we could see into the valley, albeit a trifle cloudy
IMG_5368.JPG
Towards Wasdale Head
IMG_5370.JPG
Kirk Fell
IMG_5372.JPG
Illgill
As we gained a little height we could see a side profile of Yewbarrow, it looks so different from each of its sides
IMG_5373.JPG
Yewbarrow
The paths were stoney but graduated quite easy as we pressed on
IMG_5376.JPG
It's behind me
We passed some old buildings, don't know if they were dwellings or to do with farming but they always fascinate me
IMG_5378.JPG
Old ruins
We could now see the first steeper climb but all was ok for the moment :shock:
IMG_5381.JPG
Ahead to Illgill
We were high enough to see Burnmoor Tarn, around 60 acres in size and Harter Fell(?) in the distance
IMG_5382.JPG
Burnmoor Tarn
The view back to Wasdale told us something
IMG_5383.JPG
Oh Dear!
As you can see the mist was dropping but no wet weather leggings yet, but it wasn't long
IMG_5385.JPG
Calm before the storm
Then it came, rain and wind, driving into our faces like needles, the visibility was getting quite poor as we kept going to the summit which seemed never to appear, even passed the highest point to get there. When we did get there it was so bad just one photo of each of us then it was camera away, in case I don't look wet enough, check Glynn, Happy Times :lol:
IMG_5387.JPG
Illgill Head at 604m
IMG_5388.JPG
Wish we'd gone the beach now
It was now just press on and do Whin Rigg and trace our steps back down, we did get some visibility back as we descended but the rain was pelting down. The tracks were now rivers and the Herdwicke had the right idea, wedge yourself under a wall :D As we reached the car the only bit of us dry were our feet, all the gear had let in some way, but the scarpas had done it. Kill for a hot coffee :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: ILLGILL HEAD & WHIN RIGG - WASTWATER SCREES

Postby ChrisW » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:46 am

Great report, looks like a really enjoyable walk (weather permitting) that last pic is the epitome of how I feel when its raining in the hills :lol:

Sorry to hear your gear let you down in the wet, but that's always a good excuse to go shopping :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:53 pm

I think :D it was just the amount of driving rain, the gear is good stuff, Paramo etc
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby morag1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:49 am

lovely clear photos at the start but then shame about the wind and rain :(

I dont enjoy getting soaked either and it really annoys me when expensive gear does not do the job it says :thumbdown:

Still, got the spring and summer to look forward to :D
morag1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland