walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Austria hut to hut; 1 The Ratikon

Austria hut to hut; 1 The Ratikon

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:00 pm

Date walked: 15/07/1999

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Bill and I had skied extensively in Austria - particularly in the Arlberg - arguably the best skiing in Europe - and decided we should explore the area in the Summer. We knew almost nothing about hut to hut walking or where we should go, but I found some very helpful books in a second hand shop and i guess we found our routes there.. We also joined the Austrian Alpine club (just under £30) which gave us reduced prices in the huts and free basic insurance.

Map01.jpg
The Ratikon and Silvretta

We started in two areas close to the Swiss border - the Ratikon just to the North across the border from Klosters and the Silvretta slightly further East. We found that certainly before the schools broke up around the last week of July there was no need to book huts - you just turned up and the guardians were very pleased to see you.
We drove out - going down the Rhine to Bregenz, left the car in Brand I think, took the cablecar up to the1970m Lunersee - going round the West side of the lake. there was a lot of winter snow left, and crossing streams we had to be careful not to fall through :lol: :lol:
Luneermap.jpg
Day One map: The SAC have made it progressively more difficult to copy maps from their site so there are blank panels that can't be eliminated :( :(
Lunersee.jpg
LIBRARY PICTURE AND TEXT: We headed around the RHs in this picture
RA01---Looking-back-to-the-Luner-See.jpg
Looking back to the Lunersee.
RA02---The-Drusenfluh-from-the-path-to-the-Lindau-hut.jpg
The Drusenfluh from the track
RA03---Outside-the-old-customs-hut-at-the-Schweizertor.jpg
The route took us up to the 2137 Schweiztor (Swiss door) on the border where there was an old customs post
We then descended the snowy Sporentobel to the 1739m Lindauer hut
RA04---The-Drei-Turme-from-the-Lindau-hut.jpg
The limestone towers of the Drei Turme from the Lindauer hut
Lindauer hutte.jpg
A modern library picture of the hut - vastly bigger and I've no doubt you have to book online

sulzfluhmap.jpg
Day 2 Map
We left the hut and took a path up an alpenrose covered ridge - the Bilkengrat to a col - the 2335m Schwartze Scharte, and then contoured Right to climb easy angled limestone ledges to the 2817 m Sulzfluh. We then retraced our steps and descended R to the 2208m Tilisuna hut.
There were a lot of interesting alpnie flowers not only on the limestone but in the valleys where the snow had melted. I took quite a few photos, but they weren't very good and have become lost.
RA05---Crossing-the-head-of-the-Gauertal.jpg
crossing the head of the Gauertal
RA06---The-Klein-Sulzfluh-from-the-Bilken-Grat.jpg
The Klein Sulzfluh from the Bilkengrat
RA07---The-Drei-Turme-from-the-Bilken-Grat.jpg
The Drei Turme from the Bilkengrat
RA08---The-Drei-Turme-and-Schesaplana-.jpg
At the Schwartze Scharte - The Drei Turme and the Schesaplana. Yesterday's path from the Lunersee to the Lindauer hut descended the snow-filled Sporentobel - R of centre
RA09---The-Schwarzhorn-from-the-Schwarze-Scharte-.jpg
The Schwartzhorn from the Schwartze Scharte
RA10---Limestone-pavements-below-the-Sulzfluh.jpg
Limestone pavements below the Sulzfluh
RA11---Looking-SE-from-the-path-up-the-Sulzfluh.jpg
Looking SE from the path up the Sulzfluh across the steep Partnun valley to the Wiss Platte and the Scheienfluh
RA12---Looking-W-from-the-Sulzfluh-summit.jpg
Looking W from the Summit
RA13---The-S-face-of-Drei-Turme-from-the-Sulzfluh.jpg
Zoomed view - the S face of the Drei Turme with the Schesaplana behind
RA14---Sulzfluh-summit-from-a-subsidiary-high-point.jpg
Sulzfluh summit from a subsidiary high point
tilsunahutte.jpg
The Tilisuna hutte modern Libary picture

gargellenmap.jpg
Day 3 map
From the hut we traversed first to the 2235m Gruoben pass, then East of the Wiss Platten to the 2352m Plasseggen pass and finally over a section in Switzerland under the Sarotlaspitz to the 2388m Sarotla pass.
RA15---Looking-back-to-the-Tilisuna-hut.jpg
Looking back to the Tilisuna hut from the path to the Gruoben pass: Schwartzhorn on the R
RA18---Looking-back-fro-near-the--Gruben-pass.jpg
From near the Gruoben Pass - looking back to the Klein Sulzfluh and the Sulzfluh
RA16---Looking-South-fromthe-Plasseggen-Pass.jpg
From the 2352m Plasseggen pass looking South ito the mountains above Klosters
RA17---In-Switzerland-under-the-Sarotla-Spitz.jpg
In Switzerland under the Sarotla Spitz - the Sulzfluh on the L

From the Sarotlapass we climbed to the 2448m Robispitz and then descended the path to Gargellen. I imagine we caught a bus back to our starting point
RA19--On-the-Robispitzen.jpg
On the Robispitz
It's a long time ago a nd I have had to spend a long time looking a maps to see exactly where we went, but we both found it very enjoyable and it encouraged us for our next walk in the Silvretta
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland