walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three nice tops to finish off with.

Three nice tops to finish off with.

Postby martin.h » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:29 pm

Date walked: 21/11/2021

Time taken: 4

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 897m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After completing the Wainwrights in 2019 we were not sure what to do next :?: After a bit of thought we made the decision to find out what the Howgills had to offer, we'd always promised ourselves a trip or two to see what they were like every time we drove north to Scotland or the Lakes on the M6, those lumpy hills to the right above Tebay looked very inviting, especially when we could see tracks up them. We had had a couple of forays in the past but never really took them seriously because we had other goals to obtain, now we'd accomplished one of them the time had come to explore new territories.

We started our explorations in May 2020, which were subdued a little due to Covid 19, we had to watch the ongoing lockdowns to make sure we were not doing something weren't supposed to do but we managed to do some very nice walks when we could.

As we ticked off the main tops the area was getting smaller, I started planning our final tops to do in a day. When we were on Arant Haw on one of our days out, I spotted three contenders we could do at any time of the year so they were instantly put aside for such an occasion. Our weekend stay around Kendal was ideal so the plan was put into motion, the forecast was good except for a strong chilly wind, the conditions weren't anything we hadn't had in the past so now was the time to finish them off.

So, the Tops we visited today were:-

Sickers Fell
Knott
Crook

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked up in the Joss Lane car park in Sedbergh made ready and were off up the lane following the Dales High Way and into the hills, it was a lovely bright autumn day, we were looking forward to our time out in the quiet Howgills.

It was a steady climb, the views were getting better, Arant Haw was dead ahead, we debated whether to include it but decided to concentrate on our intended.

Onwards and upwards

Looking Back

Winder

Arant Haw

View to our last fell today, Crook

We stayed on this path until we reached a quad track heading down to Sickers Fell starting just above Hobdale Scar.

On the way we were getting some nice clear views of the Lake District mountains.

Our targets were in view for most of the way except for Knott which remained elusive until we were almost ready to descend towards Sickers Fell.

At the turn off point our objectives looked a long way off, but, as we'd become accustomed to this in the Howgills where distances are deceptive, we hoped this would be the case, we set off down and I was surprised on this occasion that from the turn off point it only took ten minutes to arrive at the top of Sickers Fell :D

This Fell has good views of the higher fells to the north and over to Crook, Baugh Fell looked interesting, another hill on the agenda :D

Crook left, Winder right

Looking down to Knott it still looked a good way away so after a few photos and a bite to eat we were off down a narrow track towards Knott.
This little track was quite steep initially, on the way down Knott was looking a lot closer, we could see the path continuing up the hillside looking less steep as we descended. From Sickers Fell to Knott takes about fifteen minutes, I reckoned about half an hour so, I was miles off, it's surprising how far you can travel in a short amount of time in the Howgills :D

Knott top

Views

Crook

More views, it was really clear today

We decided to do an out and back from the main path before we tackled Crook, from Knott our return was surprisingly steep in parts, we were flagging a bit by the time we arrived back on it.

Our way back to the main path

We could see a few more people on the hills, especially on Winder, we met a couple about to do what we'd done, we had a quick natter then they were off hurrying after their dog, I bet their timing was a lot quicker than ours :lol:

We retraced our route until we reached a path coming down from Arant Haw, I'd looked at this on the way up and noted that it continued towards Crook so we tuned left here and set off for Crook.
It didn't take us long to get to the top, there's a little steep bit just before the large summit cairn, once there it commands some lovely views.

Arant Haw

Winder

We had a longer break before we started back down to Sedbergh, from the top we could see several tracks heading towards the Dales Highway path so it was a case of setting off on one and see where it takes you.
Our path took us down towards Settlebeck Gill and crossed it just above the waterfall marked on the map, from there it soon joins the Dales Highway, with this being a good established path, we were soon back on the lane leading to the
car park.

Final views

On the way down we spotted this group of fungi, a world in miniature :D

We had a good day out, a bit on the chilly side with that wind though, it was so crisp and clear we were fortunate that our final three were in such good conditions, in fact, looking back, the Howgills have given us some really nice walks in cracking weather :D

We're going to do the tops again but from different directions from now on, the Howgills are brilliant :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Three nice tops to finish off with.

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:13 pm

Nice - The Howgills are lovely though the Northern ones - Green Bell, Randyghyll top Yarlside et al (start from Ravenstonedale - or Weasdale) are much wilder and less frequented -
Baugh fell is rather dull and boggy I seem to remember - Wild Boar Fell (708m) further North is much nicer
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby martin.h » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:00 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Nice - The Howgills are lovely though the Northern ones - Green Bell, Randyghyll top Yarlside et al (start from Ravenstonedale - or Weasdale) are much wilder and less frequented -
Baugh fell is rather dull and boggy I seem to remember - Wild Boar Fell (708m) further North is much nicer

Thank you.
Yes, the northern side is very quiet, we do like that part. I'm looking at having a walk up Langdale, setting off from Longdale, onto Bush Howe and work our way back via Breaks Head, Docker Knott and Hand Lake, it looks a reasonable day out.
Baugh Fell is one we've not been on and, to be honest, I did wonder if it was as you've described, at least if we do visit it we'll be able to improve our bog hopping skills :shock: :lol:

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:03 pm

I'm not sure I've been in Langale, but I used to like to start at Weasdale, go over Green Bell and Randygill top then descend into Bowerdale - it feels wonderfully remote down there: follow the good track up to the Calf and return by its North ridge over West Fell etc.
If you've never been there, Black Force is well worth a visit. lousy scramble but extraordinary place - totally unexpected.
I think Baugh Fell is on the peat wheas Wild Boar Fell is limestone.
Altogether a great area and away from the crowds in the lakes
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:52 pm

The Howgills seem to be somewhat underappreciated by the hillwalking community. I suspect they're one bunch of hills that you need to have visited to appreciate (especially when you have a great day, as you did).

That landslip on the first two pics is REALLY spectacular - almost worth a visit for its own sake!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby martin.h » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:36 am

past my sell by date wrote:I'm not sure I've been in Langale, but I used to like to start at Weasdale, go over Green Bell and Randygill top then descend into Bowerdale - it feels wonderfully remote down there: follow the good track up to the Calf and return by its North ridge over West Fell etc.
If you've never been there, Black Force is well worth a visit. lousy scramble but extraordinary place - totally unexpected.
I think Baugh Fell is on the peat wheas Wild Boar Fell is limestone.
Altogether a great area and away from the crowds in the lakes

We've walked on the fellsides above Black Force, looked down and thought the exit into Blakethwaite Bottom looks unnervingly steep, it does have the reputation for being a bit tricky so one for a dry summers day maybe :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby martin.h » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:52 am

Alteknacker wrote:The Howgills seem to be somewhat underappreciated by the hillwalking community. I suspect they're one bunch of hills that you need to have visited to appreciate (especially when you have a great day, as you did).

That landslip on the first two pics is REALLY spectacular - almost worth a visit for its own sake!

I agree with you there Alte, one problem is when and if they do become appreciated more people will try to cram into an already limited area as far as parking is concerned, some of the more remote parts have very narrow single track roads with few passing places :shock: They are lovely hills and you can find parts where you don't see a soul all day :D

I see what you mean about that landslip, I hadn't picked up on it until you mentioned it, it does look pretty epic :D

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:03 pm

Re Black force
if you park where the "scrambles guide" says and walk in up the valley the incessant roar of the motorway suddenly vanishes :D . The stream goes into a very narrow gully, but there is a definite path beside it which climbs up on the R of the little waterfall - no problems. you then follow the stream bed up and exit up a little slab - maybe 20ft.. this is the only bit that involves any climbing. NB. All as far as i remember I've only it twice :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland