walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wansfell, Troutbeck and The Tongue

Wansfell, Troutbeck and The Tongue

Postby Broggy1 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:06 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Troutbeck Tongue, Wansfell

Date walked: 05/12/2021

Time taken: 4.3

Distance: 24.2 km

Ascent: 1351m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Promising forecast for Sunday but when I arrived in the Lakes it was obvious that the winds were still incredibly strong and there had been a huge dump of snow on the higher hills - wouldn't be great conditions up there.

So opted to park at Ambleside and do Wansfell and then take it from there. Mega windy on the tops and very cold - tempting to head into the snow at times but the wind meaning common sense prevailed.

1 WP.JPG
Wansfell Pike ahead - great path and no snow on there

2 Ahead from WP.JPG
Looking ahead from Wansfell Pike - very windy and wild

3 Red Screes from Baystones.JPG
Snow covered Red Screes from Baystones - this was as high as I was going to go with the weather like it was and i thought i'd have a walk through Troutbeck to The Tongue instead

4 lots of this.JPG
Load's of tree hurdling today

5 TT ahead.JPG
Troutbeck Tongue ahead - the wind howling down the valley

6 caudale and thorny from TT.JPG
Caudale Moor and Thornthwaite Crag from the top of Troutbeck Tongue - dead windy even at this height

7 WP again.JPG
I now had to get back to Ambleside so after taking the higher path through Troutbeck I then went back up Nanny Lane nearly all the way back up to Wansfell Pike

8 Windermere.JPG
I then turned off for the route through Skelghyll Woods which has great views of Windermere

9 Conistonb fells.JPG
Coniston fells - looks like a slight thaw lower down now

10 Snowy giants.JPG
Snowy Langdale hills as I descend to Ambleside
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland