walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Whernside, Ingleborough and Simon Fell

Whernside, Ingleborough and Simon Fell

Postby Rodhumphreys » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:01 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Ingleborough, Simon Fell, Whernside

Date walked: 17/12/2021

Time taken: 4.2

Distance: 22.8 km

Ascent: 1005m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An interesting early morning drive to Ribblehead, Fog to start with, and then it all cleared and the temperatures dropped to -1. So some careful driving in the motorhome watching for icy patches in the dark. Today's walk really didn't require a map as this circular is familiar territory, apart from Simon's Fell which was going to be a new top for me. The stones forming the excellent path in the higher reaches of Whernide were covered in a light film of ice making them incredibly slippery. I was rather hoping that the sun, which had just risen, would be warm enough to melt the ice on the route down....which it did. I should mention the remarkable views to the north and west, with the Lake District peaks clearly visible against pure blue skies.
whernside early morning.jpg

The descent from Whernside continues to follow the traditional 3 Peaks route to Philpin Lane and the road up from Ingleton. Two hours from the start, past the Hill Inn at 9.30am and then the tough approach to Ingleborough on the newly restored path on the conventional route to the ridge. I am definitely getting older and slower, and a fell runner (first contact of the day) flew past me heading downhill....reminded me of me 30 years ago! Just one walker on the top, then back down to the ridge for the first visit to Simon's Fell. I followed the track by the wall, to a nice little top. Lord's Seat, 200 metres away appears higher, but I believe it isn't. I'll save that for next time I am up here. Finally, a fabulous walk in glorious sunshine across Park Fell (wet underfoot), then a fast descent to Gauber and back to the van. This is a magnificent Dales circuit with quite sensational 360 degree views off each of the ridges. Worth waiting for a day with clear skies. On my way home at 12pm but the pub at Ribblehead looked really inviting. No way though, not with the motorhome!
ingleborough and Simon Fell from whernside.jpg
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Rodhumphreys
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:154
Wainwrights:95   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland