walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Whiteside and Hopegill Head, an afternoon in cloud

Whiteside and Hopegill Head, an afternoon in cloud

Postby gld73 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:44 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Hopegill Head, Whiteside

Hewitts included on this walk: Hopegill Head, Whiteside

Date walked: 24/12/2021

Time taken: 2.9

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Not a great forecast, but not awful ... and with the rest of the family here now I had the afternoon free again and so took the opportunity to get out. I've never done Whiteside before, so for the third time in this couple of weeks down to see my parents I headed to the Loweswater / Crummock Water area as it's a short drive and I can be setting off on the walk half an hour after leaving the house, ideal for a short December afternoon.

Parked at the Lanthwaite parking area where there were 3 other cars, but never saw their occupants on the walk today. My main aim was just to get out and get Whiteside done, but I ended up doing Hopegill Head again too (done previously as part of the Coledale Round in rubbish conditions) as I decided to come back via Gasgale Gill to have a more gradual descent route. My approximate route:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC8030.JPG
View of Whiteside (top in cloud) and Whin Ben from Lanthwaite car park

APDC8031.JPG
Heading up Whin Ben it was a nice view back to Mellbreak and Crummock Water while I was still below the cloud (Lanthwaite car park in the centre of the picture)

APDC8032.JPG
Just before I went into clag I did have a thought that maybe I should have just repeated some lower hills to stay in nicer conditions (Low Fell and Fellbarrow looking nice here to the NW of Whiteside)

APDC8033.JPG
Looking down to Gasgale Gill, the way I'd come back

APDC8034.JPG
Getting to the western top of Whiteside

APDC8035.JPG
From the western top, I followed the clear path along the ridge, going over every bump as visibility was too poor to see clearly which the highest would be. This was the view back along the ridge

APDC8036.JPG
Selfie at Hopegill Head summit

APDC8037.JPG
...and the unspoiled version

APDC8038.JPG
From Hopegill Head I took the path over Sand Hill to Coledale Hause, then started down the Gasgale Gill path here

APDC8039.JPG
The path down was on loose and eroded ground in places, it did take a bit of concentration rather than just being an easy saunter down the gill. Whiteside still in cloud.

APDC8040.JPG
Some nice waterfalls on Liza Beck on the way down

APDC8041.JPG
The cloud over Whiteside did seem to be lifting a bit as time went on

APDC8042.JPG
A few minutes later the ridge looked almost clear ...not that I was going to head back up to get the views now
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland