walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rannerdale Knotts and Whiteless Pike for a shorter walk

Rannerdale Knotts and Whiteless Pike for a shorter walk

Postby gld73 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:56 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Rannerdale Knotts, Whiteless Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Whiteless Pike

Date walked: 19/12/2021

Time taken: 2.4

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 650m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another day of good weather, another day of not having the morning free plus having to be back in good time for a hospital visit - so an afternoon walk only. Having done Mellbreak the previous afternoon, this time I drove just a little further and parked at the Rannerdale Knotts parking area to do a couple of hills on the other side of Crummock Water. A few cars there on this sunny Sunday, but not packed.

Earlier this year I did 9 Wainwrights of the Coledale round in bad weather and didn't get much in the way of views, but despite being so close I hadn't extended the route to include Whiteless Pike and Rannerdale Knotts. A stand alone walk just to do those 2 wouldn't be a long route, so a nice wee afternoon filler and ideal for today's time limitations:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC7999.JPG
Photo taken from the car park entrance - it's just a very short walk along the roadside to the start of the signed path up Rannerdale Knotts

APDC8000.JPG
Mellbreak was looking good across Crummock Water - I'd been up it the day before, a stunning day for inversions, Crummock Water had been smothered by cloud then

APDC8001.JPG
Looking back towards Scale Force across Crummock Water - it was a beautiful day in the sunshine but anywhere in shade was very cold and frosty

APDC8004.JPG
The path up Rannerdale Knotts was a mixture of grassy path, stony, or laid slabs as here, always clear to follow throughout

APDC8006.JPG
In the sunshine, it was looking a summer day, not December (view north along Crummock Water towards Fellbarrow and Low Fell)

APDC8007.JPG
Rannerdale Knotts summit - not very high up, but still a lovely viewpoint

APDC8008.JPG
Whiteless Pike, the other hill I'm aiming for today

APDC8012.JPG
Would have been a nice panorama if I hadn't chopped off the summits of Grasmoor and Whiteless Pike!

APDC8011.JPG
A cold day down the Buttermere valley

APDC8013.JPG
After the short, steep ascent to get to the summit of Rannerdale Knotts, it was now a nice easy ridge walk along the length of Low Bank

APDC8015.JPG
Looking back along Low Bank to Rannerdale Knotts, with Mellbreak behind

APDC8017.JPG
At the col, I turned left, taking the path up towards Whiteless Pike. It gave a nice view of the way I'd come along the length of the ridge on the left, and the way I'd be heading back down Rannerdale, the frosty, shaded valley running alongside

APDC8018.JPG
Following the path towards Whiteless Pike

APDC8019.JPG
Looking SE across Newlands Hause to Robinson

APDC8021.JPG
Whiteless Pike summit (I didn't have time to continue on to Wandope today, but I'd done that before on a Coledale Round. Much nicer conditions today than I'd had that day!)

APDC8022.JPG
Looking over towards the Derwent Fells from the summit; one of those days when every hill in the Lake District looked to have great conditions

APDC8023.JPG
Grasmoor immediately to the north

APDC8027.JPG
I headed down Whiteless Pike the same way I'd come up, then took the path heading down to Rannerdale. The drop in temperature between t-shirt weather in the sun on the hills, and then hat, coat and gloves weather in the shade was a shock! At least it meant any muddy sections were mostly frozen

APDC8028.JPG
Towards the bottom, the sign is a reminder that at another time of year, this area would be covered in its famous bluebells

APDC8029.JPG
Nearly back at the car and one last look back, showing the contrast between the freezing temp of Rannerdale and the sun-adorned slopes of Whiteless Pike
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland