walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A 5 Wainwright Skiddaw round via Ullock Pike and Bakestall

A 5 Wainwright Skiddaw round via Ullock Pike and Bakestall

Postby gld73 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:48 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bakestall, Carl Side, Long Side, Skiddaw, Ullock Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Long Side, Skiddaw

Date walked: 17/12/2021

Time taken: 3.9

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 860m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Usually I love being back in Cumbria, but current sad circumstances mean it's not a holiday this time. Most of the morning was spent making phonecalls, most of the evening was spent answering calls, but I had no hospital or care home visits today, so with perfect weather suddenly appearing after cloud and rain of recent days, I nipped out to do my first hill walk in weeks (a couple of km up Binsey aside). I thought I'd do the ridge up Ullock Pike, Long Side and Carl Side, then descend via Dodd and the forestry paths, a walk that would fit in nicely in an afternoon given the shorter daylight hours. Got to Carl Side in plenty time though, so changed plan and continued on up Skiddaw, then descended to the north to take in Bakestall, adding another Wainwright to the tally.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC8172.JPG
View back down the gentle start on a path through fields

APDC8173.JPG
Binsey was in view for a lot of this walk

APDC8176.JPG
Skiddaw in bright sun

APDC8177.JPG
Once on to the ridge, it's a clear path to follow (view back)

APDC8178.JPG
Aiming for the peak of Ullock Pike

APDC8182.JPG
Looking back down the ridge, north end of Bassenthwaite

APDC8184.JPG
Ullock Pike summit, south end of Bassenthwaite

APDC8188.JPG
Continuing along the ridge to Long Side

APDC8189.JPG
Long Side summit (Skiddaw on left, grassy dome of Carl Side on right)

APDC8191.JPG
Long Side summit back to Ullock Pike

APDC8193.JPG
Carl Side summit back to Long Side

APDC8195.JPG
Heading down from Carl Side to start the ascent up the scree slopes of Skiddaw (I took the path going up diagonally on the left rather than the one in the middle of the pic)

APDC8196.JPG
Looking back over to Long Side and Ullock Pike from the path up Skiddaw

APDC8197.JPG
I could see several people were at the summit when I got on to the summit plateau...

APDC8198.JPG
...but they all passed me the other way as I walked to it, so I had it to myself when I got there

APDC8199.JPG
Roughly west to the ridge I'd walked up today

APDC8201.JPG
Looking back along the summit plateau - but today I wasn't going back that way; instead I was continuing N/NW towards Bakestall

APDC8203.JPG
On reaching Bakestall, I wasn't quite sure if the summit was marked by this pile of cairns by the fence corner ...

APDC8202.JPG
...or the similar sized cairn which lay other there, in the direction I'd be going anyway. So I visited them both.

APDC8204.JPG
I've still to do the fells to the north, they were never really on my radar until I was looking at them from here

APDC8205.JPG
Descending from Bakestall to Cockup (Binsey in the background)

APDC8206.JPG
Cockup looking back to Bakestall. With hindsight, I probably should have continued more to the left on my descent, instead of taking the branch which went off to Cockup. I think the other branch continued on to meet the path marked on my OS map which I'd been intending to take...

APDC8207.JPG
...instead, I headed down Cockup's NW slope which was very steep (the photo does it no justice - I walked backwards for most of it to save my knees from the killer angle)

APDC8208.JPG
Despite knowing the route I really wanted required me to veer over to the left some distance, I continued straight down as I could see a gate and knew once I'd gone through the field beyond I'd hit a track to take me back to the minor road. Unfortunately it turned out it wasn't an actual moving gate, just something tied to the wall and fence there to block the gap, so I had to climb over the wall and fence anyway.

APDC8210.JPG
Nearly back to the road, it was a nice view back up the track to the hills in the late afternoon sunshine (Cockup on the left)

APDC8211.JPG
On the walk along the minor road back to the parking area, I got this panoramic view of today's route (starting from the right with the slope up to Ullock Pike, Skiddaw in the middle, coming down on the left here)
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland