walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hen Comb from the West, via Gavel Fell

Hen Comb from the West, via Gavel Fell

Postby gld73 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:10 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Gavel Fell, Hen Comb

Date walked: 28/12/2021

Time taken: 3.3

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 670m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've only written a walk report for this in case someone else fancies doing Hen Comb from the west rather than the Loweswater area, and wants an idea of possible routes. The different start point from 'normal' is the only reason for the report; I'm under no illusion the the prose and photos have any other merit :lol:

Anyway, another afternoon where I had the chance to get out, but the forecast was poor and there was low cloud over all the hills, even the really small local ones like Dent; by Frizington I was very, very tempted to turn round and drive home. Didn't; decided I might as well head to Cogra Moss or Ennerdale and took the minor road from Rowrah through Kirkland to come out on a minor road which could take me to either once I'd seen which looked better conditions - but at that junction there were a few cars parked, and room for some more, so I just parked there and went up Gavel Fell a slightly different way than I'd done before. I've fancied trying to do Hen Comb from this side too, and even though the hills were in cloud, I decided I might as well give it a go while I was here now.

From the parking area, I took the forestry track along the south side of Knock Murton's base which then gained a bit of height, before meeting the path up from Cogra Moss. This was where I'd come up previously, so knew to turn right and go over the gate, then head up Low Pen, High Pen and then over to Gavel Fell.

Continued on over the summit of Gavel Fell following the fence down and then crossed it to head across the very wet White Moss bog, coming alongside another fence and following it to the base of Hen Comb. Followed a worn path up which was a great help in the poor visibility, took me nicely to the summit cairn. Initially followed the same path down, then when it split, took the left branch this time to head back a different way, aiming for what was shown as a bridleway on my map, going to Whin. Got views of Ennerdale water as I passed through fields, then the bridleway deteriorated into a path between a drystone wall and fence, becoming very wet and a bit overgrown in places, then finally coming out on the minor road where I turned right and followed it back up to the car.

There were a couple of variations I could have done on inward and outward routes, but what I did this time was:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC8044.JPG
Just coming down from High Pen to the col between Blake and Gavel fells, this was the view (or not!) of Gavel Fell. Not really a day for photos.

APDC8045.JPG
Gavel Fell summit

APDC8046.JPG
View of Hen Comb from White Moss (or it would be if it wasn't under a cloud)

APDC8047.JPG
I was surprised to come across big bags of rocks on my way across White Moss - like the ones dropped by helicopter for path building on hills. The trodden path to Hen Comb was a sopping wet bog fest, but didn't really seem like a popular enough route to warrant building a good path instead.

APDC8048.JPG
As I started up the lower flanks of Hen Comb, I looked back and saw Gavel Fell (right) was clear of cloud for a time.

APDC8049.JPG
Hen Comb summit was still well and truly fog bound unfortunately

APDC8051.JPG
Descending back down Hen Comb, instead of aiming for the fence line running up the pic on middle/right here which I'd followed the other way when heading for Hen Comb, I went more to the left. The White Moss was a bit drier to the left, and I followed a trodden route aiming for the left of the obvious small peak of Floutern Cop where my map showed a bridleway.

APDC8053.JPG
The path became clearer, and I got a view back to Hen Comb at last

APDC8054.JPG
Passed near Floutern Tarn nestling below Great Borne

APDC8056.JPG
Followed the bridleway west, with the western end of Ennerdale Water appearing. It had been low cloud in the Lake District all day, but seemed to have stayed nice on the coast

APDC8057.JPG
Looking across Ennerdale to Crag Fell and Anglers Crag

APDC8058.JPG
The upper stretch of the bridleway was nice, crossing open fields, though it then went between a dry stone wall and fence (still okay) then between a wall and beck where the path was like a stream after the wet weather, and gorse bushes had to be negotiated.

APDC8059.JPG
This was the signed gate where the bridleway ended (or started); I headed up the road from here, an easy uphill walk, through Croasdale and back to the car
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Hen Comb from the West, via Gavel Fell

Postby Pointless Parasite » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:00 am

Nice :clap: . Interesting to see the possible work to build a path over the bogs south of Hen Comb. As you say, it's not exactly a popular route, but it's such a horrible swampy mess that a proper path like the one on High Tove would be welcome.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Hen Comb from the West, via Gavel Fell

Postby yellowbelly » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:42 pm

A brave walk round Hen Combe at this time of year after the wet weather we've had recently. I'd have worn wellies!
As an ex-resident of Frizington, I can confirm that when the clag's down you often can't see 100yds from your kitchen window.
Much brighter weather most of the time now that we're located on the Solway Coast.
Thanks for posting this report and I look forward to the next one.
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland