walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Re: Helvellyn and Catstycam, my birthday treat

Postby MusicalHiker » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:25 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Catstyecam, Helvellyn

Hewitts included on this walk: Catstyecam, Helvellyn

Date walked: 04/01/2022

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Every September, I like to go to the Lake District and climb some Wainwrights. Last time it was the Langale Pikes; this time I wanted to tackle Helvellyn.

My husband wasn't too happy about me trotting off over a precarious ridge, but I was determined. I hadn't planned it for this day, as we had only just arrived the night before, but when I woke and saw the sun coming out... well, I just had to go for it!

Trevor dropped me in Glenridding and off I went, making my way through a few hundred motorbikes - I think there must have been a rally on!

The first hour was pretty much straight up, but with great views and the promise of serous excitement to come.

When Striding Edge first emerged from the mist, it did give me a shiver of anticipation! Wow! I was really here! I walked closer to the start of the ridge, watching the tiny figures on top.

At the beginning of the ridge, among the dozens of people milling around, I noticed a guy on his own, looking a little nervous. 'Hi! You ok?' I asked. 'Well', he said, 'I'm a bit nervous, I don't like heights, my family were meant to be doing this with me but they all chickened out!' ''Well, follow me if you like!' I replied. Six hours later, we were still together, having had a superb day, and we got along great. Sometimes it's fun to team up with someone!

We went up Striding Edge, and down Swirral Edge, then up Catstycam as well. I would say there are no difficulties at all in dry conditions and did not suffer from even a moment's unsteadiness or anything. I love being up high!

We walked back down by the river, stopping to cool off by sticking our legs in a pool.

Sadly, the next few days hit 30 degrees and my plans for the Coledale Horseshoe had to be shelved in favour of a cooling swim and a boat trip on Ullswater for my actual birthday...

Pics below :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_3689.jpeg
IMG_3693.jpeg
IMG_3694.jpeg
IMG_3696.jpeg
IMG_3697.jpeg
IMG_3698.jpeg
IMG_3699.jpeg
IMG_3701.jpeg
IMG_3704.jpeg
IMG_3705.jpeg
IMG_3706.jpeg
IMG_3707.jpeg
IMG_3710.jpeg
IMG_3712.jpeg
IMG_3714.jpeg
IMG_3715.jpeg
IMG_3716.jpeg
IMG_3719.jpeg
IMG_3724.jpeg
IMG_3726.jpeg
IMG_3727.jpeg
IMG_3729.jpeg
IMG_3732.jpeg
IMG_3743.jpeg
IMG_3745.jpeg
IMG_3749.jpeg
IMG_3753.jpeg
IMG_3757.jpeg
IMG_3759.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_3747.jpeg
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Postby martin.h » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:54 pm

Hi MusicalHiker
That's a nice classic day out in the Lakes, good photos of the ridge showing it's an interesting route to the summit of Helvellyn. Denise and I did a similar route to yours for our final Wainwright, Catstycam, in 2019, looking at your route map it looks like you went over Birkhouse Moor which is a Wainwright so you can claim that one for your birthday too :D
Good report and nice photies.
Thanks for sharing
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland