walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tegg's Nose circular

Tegg's Nose circular

Postby al78 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:22 pm

Date walked: 31/12/2021

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 16 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I stayed with family from 23rd December until 2nd January and prior to my visit, December in SE England had been hideously dull, if dry. I was hoping for a change in the weather to something more sunny so I could get out on a handful of the many fine hills around Gtr Manchester and maybe the Yorkshire Dales or the Clwydian hills which are not too far away for the short daylight hours of December.

By the 30th December I was still waiting for that break in the weather. I see, two hours of sun in three weeks is the best you can do, is it? Ok then, New Years Eve looks as good as it is going to be weatherwise, so decided to walk in an area I have not visited before. Tegg's Nose country park, about two miles east of Macclesfield on the edge of the Peak District. That should provide some nice views as long as the cloud is above the summits.

2021_12_Sunshine_Anomaly_1991-2020.png
December 2021 (sunshine anomaly relative to 1991-2020 climatology taken from Met Office website), hideously dull.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked at Teggs Nose country park car park and started with a quick walk up to the viewpoint at the top of the nose. The view was very extensive, northward to Manchester city center, west to the Clwydian hills, and could make out Jodrell Bank. The far view was hampered with murk so couldn't make out the Runcorn Mersey bridges or Liverpool as the viewpoint indicator claimed, but it was still excellent. A good example of a fine viewpoint that can be reached with little effort.

IMG_20211231_111633.jpg
View from Tegg's Nose across Macclesfield. Manchester city center was visible on the right but hasn't come out in the photo.

Back at the car park I took a well made path downhill and that ses the scene for the day. Downhill, uphill, downhill, uphill. The scenery was a good mix of forest, valley and water. One of the nicer valleys was heading away from Lamaload reservoir along the Dean valley, which was a surprisingly steep valley for an area which tends to consist of rolling hills. This was the point where I was really feeling it in my legs. I haven't walked 9-10 miles since May and this was a hard 9-10 miles. It didn't help that when I was about a mile from the end, I took a wrong turn and headed at a right angle to where I intended. Instead of reaching the junction with Bull Hill Lane and Buxton New Road, I ended up at a similar looking junction at Brookhouse. I turned left along the road but it didn't look right. The map showed no buildings where I should be but I was walking through a village. It is when I saw Lidgetts Lane I discovered where I had gone wrong, and to get back on track, I picked up a footpath which crossed a field to Bull Hill Lane, and walked up the lane to the road junction I was supposed to aim for. It was then a simple matter of following the Gritstone Trail across yet another lump to the Buxton Old Road and the car park.

My body reacted very badly to that walk later in the day. I had severe fatigue all evening and had to force an evening meal down. Three hours after the evening meal, my digestive system rebelled and it ended up being vomited down the toilet. I don't know whether I picked up a bug somewhere (how, I don't know, I didn't eat anything that was off, and I washed my hands before eating), or whether I had exhausted myself so much my body couldn't manage to fully digest the evening meal.

IMG_20211231_105931.jpg
Shutlingsloe, the Cheshire Matterhorn (506m). It was formed as a glacier flowed around it whilst the summit stayed above the glacier as a nunatak. The lower part of the hill was smoothed by the glacier whilst the upper part escaped the glacial erosion. At least, according to the information board.

IMG_20211231_120916.jpg
Macclesfield forest.

IMG_20211231_121958.jpg
Church on the east side of Macclesfield forest, near Whitehills.

IMG_20211231_124836.jpg
Lamaload Reservoir. Finally the sun comes out.

IMG_20211231_135808.jpg
Looking across the Dean valley.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland