walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Abandoned (intentionally) on Red Screes

Abandoned (intentionally) on Red Screes

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:08 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Red Screes

Hewitts included on this walk: Red Screes

Date walked: 11/09/2021

Time taken: 2.12

Distance: 2.83 km

Ascent: 318m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yet another Terrible Idea (which didn't seem so terrible at the time) was to visit my parents while they were on holiday in the Lake District. We had done it the previous year and I had felt pretty good (for Long Covid anyway!) that week and it had been good. Unfortunately this year turned out to be the opposite.

On the way down I had offered to do the last wee bit of driving in order to allow Malky a longer walk - he was up for this, so he parked up at the top of the Kirkstone Pass and we set off up Red Screes together.

From where we had parked it was only a few hundred metres of ascent to the summit so we thought I could manage it (Could - yes. Should - probably not. In hindsight!)

We made our way across the flat section and soon found ourselves headed upwards. The path was well-made but my coordination was off and I was struggling (a sure sign I should have stopped, as it turns out)

As we gained a bit of height we were able to see more - this is Ill Bell I think

Looking down the glen towards Ambleside and the top of Windermere

Red Screes itself is a pretty cool hill - very rocky and I almost felt like I could have been in Torridon

Further up there were some steeper sections and bits where hands were needed. I felt very unstable and was a bit worried as I'd be descending this on my own

More of Windermere visible now

Finally off the steep bit, the gradient relaxed and it was a grassy stroll to the summit for any normal person. I had to get pushed up by Malky :roll:

Now on the summit we were able to see towards the bigger hills

Brother's Water (and Malky's next summit :roll: )

Summit of Red Screes

I didn't have the confidence in my balance to get higher than this

Malky showing off (and showing some leg :shock: )

I needed a breather but Malky, conscious of time, headed off - he was planning to walk to Langdale via a big load of other hills.

I enjoyed the views for a bit before starting to head down - it was quite windy so not very relaxing

Tip of Windermere

Wee shower over Ambleside

Looking down on the Kirkstone Inn

From here I made my way slowly down to the car - I did manage to drive the few miles to Langdale but I also fell asleep as soon as I arrived and that kind of set the tone for the week...
Attachments

activity_7469827079.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Abandoned (intentionally) on Red Screes

Postby Pointless Parasite » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:35 pm

Jaxter wrote:I felt very unstable and was a bit worried as I'd be descending this on my own

Wow, this long covid thing really is the gift that keeps on giving isn't it :(. I knew people have problems with tiredness and shortness of breath, but had no idea about feeling unsteady as well. Has there been any improvement since it started?

Nice report though. I bet that guy spends half the evening picking ticks of his legs :lol:
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:37 pm

Somehow Red Screes has still escaped my attention. Must make amends for that one day.

Thanks for sharing, as always, looks like a good 'un.

How many more reports have you got up your sleeve now awaiting publication? I see these two, though months apart, were posted almost simultaneously! :D

Hope there are now signs of recovery.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:14 pm

Pointless Parasite wrote:
Jaxter wrote:I felt very unstable and was a bit worried as I'd be descending this on my own

Wow, this long covid thing really is the gift that keeps on giving isn't it :(. I knew people have problems with tiredness and shortness of breath, but had no idea about feeling unsteady as well. Has there been any improvement since it started?

Nice report though. I bet that guy spends half the evening picking ticks of his legs :lol:

Yes it really is, and seemingly endless. Every time I think I'm improving or have a breakthrough, there's always a down afterwards. I'm now resting more and I think it might be helping...Being off work is probably helping too!

Mal Grey wrote:Somehow Red Screes has still escaped my attention. Must make amends for that one day.

Thanks for sharing, as always, looks like a good 'un.

How many more reports have you got up your sleeve now awaiting publication? I see these two, though months apart, were posted almost simultaneously! :D

Hope there are now signs of recovery.

It was a good hill - I just didn't enjoy it very much!
I've got loads - I was struggling to find any motivation to write any because they are mainly small walks that don't seem so interesting and I just couldn't be bothered. Plus screens are so tiring, but I've sorted my way through a load of photos recently so expect a big dump...(of reports :lol: )
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:00 pm

Red screes is a nasty place - steep and loose. A Patterdale mountain rescue volunteer had a dreadful accident there last February :(
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-55978537
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:17 pm

Boo to Long Covid. I suppose you saw the bit of research that featured the possible association with micro-clots ? https://www.npr.org/2022/01/09/1071706533/the-role-of-tiny-blood-clots-in-long-covid?t=1641986187066

Did Red Screes ages ago, and used hands as well. I REALLY regret not doing Middle Didd at the time as it looks very steep from the valley floor and I don't want to do Red Screes again. just to get at it. One of the Lake District hills where I did feel wobbly, and that was ages ago, so can't be put down to old age.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby nigheandonn » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:49 pm

Brotherswater to the Scandale Pass, and up by the wall from there? Not that I've tried it, apart from cutting the corner from Middle Dodd to the corner on the way down. You do seem to have left it a bit lonely...

I enjoyed Red Screes from Kirkstone much more than I expected to - no messing about, just get up there!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:07 am

Sgurr wrote:Boo to Long Covid. I suppose you saw the bit of research that featured the possible association with micro-clots ? https://www.npr.org/2022/01/09/1071706533/the-role-of-tiny-blood-clots-in-long-covid?t=1641986187066

Did Red Screes ages ago, and used hands as well. I REALLY regret not doing Middle Didd at the time as it looks very steep from the valley floor and I don't want to do Red Screes again. just to get at it. One of the Lake District hills where I did feel wobbly, and that was ages ago, so can't be put down to old age.

I did see that research - it's definitely promising! I'd be keen to do Red Screes again if anything just because I can't enjoy it any less than the last time :lol:

nigheandonn wrote:I enjoyed Red Screes from Kirkstone much more than I expected to - no messing about, just get up there!

That was the idea (turns out it was a bad one!!)
Jaxter
Wanderer

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland