walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Time Catches up with Hughie (just a bit!)

Time Catches up with Hughie (just a bit!)

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:00 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Sergeant Man, Tarn Crag (Central Fells)

Date walked: 07/07/2021

Time taken: 5.67

Distance: 15.6 km

Ascent: 816m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hughie my ever faithful if somewhat irascible West Highland terrier has, over the years, managed some huge walks for such a small dog, he's a bit of a plodder but the amount of times I've been tiredly trudging down the last hill of the day only to have Hugh bouncing down ahead of me as if it was just a walk around the block is countless.
There will always be a moment when time starts to catch up with you however, human or dog and once or twice leading up to this walk the little fellow hadn't seamed quite his usual self. Nothing major, he can be very thrawn at times, but I chose to put this down to his nature rather than him getting old. Given he was 12(64 in small dog years) in October, hindsight suggests this was foolish.

Right from the off Hughie seemed to decide he wasn't up for it on this day. Had he seemed injured or distressed I'd have turned back but no, he was just a right grumpy so and so. The main factor was the heat, given he had decided he no longer wants to go to the dog groomers, his last visit did not go well :roll: , he is getting home haircuts which, given the lack of expertise on show :? , are not quite as short.

So it transpired that grumpy dog in tow, I set off from Grasmere on a scorching morning up the well trodden way to Easedale Tarn.

Summer at Grasmere

Easedale reflections

On the way up

Easedale Beck

Top of Easedale Force

Following a bit of cow dodging we made the steady climb up to Easedale Tarn on what was a very warm but quite blissful morning. The Dragon Flies were out in force and a quite magnificent Golden Ringed specimen posed very nicely for me on a rock. There wer several wild campers about but all seemed to be keeping a tidy campsite so hopefully no residue was left.

Golden Ringed Dragonfly

Tarn Crag comes into view

Tarn Crag reflected in Easedale Tarn

Tarn Crag and Easedale Tarn

Ahead lay the Easedale Matterhorn, AKA Bells Knott. it certainly looks the part on approach but as you climb it's true nature, which is far less dramatic becomes increasingly clear. It was very warm going without any breeze so I allowed a very hot panty Hughie a nice rest at the top of the falls, before continuing the climb upwards.

Belles Knott

Belles Knott again

...and again

A very hot and grumpy Hughie

It was slow and steady progress, aided by a light breeze now and then, up to the fine little summit of Sergeant Man. Both Hughie and I got another well earned rest to take in the magnificent panorama improved still further by some dramatic cloudage to the west.

Belles Knott from behind

Stickle Tarn

...and again

Sergeant Man against a dramatic sky

Panorama from Sergeant Man (click for bigger view)

Great Gable

Bow Fell

From Sergeant Man to Tarn Crag is largely pathless, that said I suspect a trod probably exists but I failed to find it/sick to it as we made our way above Coldale Tarn and onto the ridge which terminates with out final top of the day. It was very warm but at least it was down hill which Hughie preferred greatly over the earlier climb. Once the top was bagged we ambled over to the well made cairn to the South to take in a full aerial view of Easdale Tarn.

Sergeant Man from Codale Head

Codale Head Summit

Nameless Tarn backed by the Eastern Fells

Reflections

Glorious day

Codale tarn

Tarn Crag Summit

Hot Hound

Looking down on Easedale tarn

It was while having another rest up here that I figured it was still probably about three and a half miles back to the car, ordinarily not much of an issue but with it being roasting hot up here, and no doubt even hotter down in the valley it was set to be slow going with Hughie felling the heat. The initial drop down was OK but once things levelled out my canine companion required plenty of encouragement to make it back to the refuge of an air conditioned car.

Tarn Crag

Looking back

...and again

Vale of Grasmere

Far Easedale

We were close to the car when a request from HQ was recived for Gingerbread :roll: which meant another very slow plod back into the village to purchase this most delicious of confections but also came with the reward of some Gingerbread ice cream for me a Hughie :thumbup:

This walk was a reality check in terms of Hughie's age and current abilities, he completed the walk and seemed fine the next day but it was too much to ask of him on such a hot day. The distance of almost 10 miles would have probably been pushing it in cooler conditions, let alone in such heat.
The good news is Hughie has returned to the hills an managed fine on shorter walks in cooler conditions so he's not quite done yet but sadly a lovely big day out in the hills together is now a thing of the past.

Easdale.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Time Catches up with Hughie

Postby poppiesrara » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:02 pm

Usual great pictures and report, JK. I have to say that report title will have given seasoned followers a little too much worry though... :( Hopefully a while to go yet.
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Time Catches up with Hughie

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:10 pm

poppiesrara wrote:Usual great pictures and report, JK. I have to say that report title will have given seasoned followers a little too much worry though... :( Hopefully a while to go yet.

Thanks Poppie, I’ve altered the title a little to hopefully allay fears :oops:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland