walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

5 Hewitts in the Howgills

5 Hewitts in the Howgills

Postby Rodhumphreys » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:55 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Calders, Fell Head, Randygill Top, The Calf, Yarlside

Date walked: 11/01/2022

Time taken: 4.3

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1270m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An interesting start for this beautiful 5 Hewitt Tops in the Howgills. I decided to approach the hills from Cautley Cross Keys in a circular from Sedbergh. However, given the quite demanding ascent, I didn't want to do the 5 miles Pennine Journey path paralleling the river and the A683. It's a great route, but it's a long approach. So I parked the car in Sedbergh and took a chance on the 9.14 Tuesday morning bus. It only runs about 3 times a week, but it turned up on time, with a great chap driving it, and progressive rock (Yes) playing on the radio.

So, the walk: Up from the Cross Keys at Cautley, past Cautley Spout (spectacular), then sharply up to the top of Yarlside within an hour of starting, The day was bright and sunny so the route to Randy Gill across Kensgriff was clear, and quite magnificent. Striking west (with a bit of south) on a fast downhill to cross Bowderdale Beck ( very carefully as there was a lot of water in the stream), then follow the rising path south to The Calf. Stood at the trig point, the decision to make at this point was whether or not to do an out and back to Fell Head and then descend to Sedbergh via The Calf and Calders, or drop off Fell Head to the minor road at Howgill and walk back at the lower level into Sedbergh. I decided, if I could reach Fell Head inside 30 minutes, I would double back and take in all 5 of the Howgill Hewitts. Well it took just 25 minutes, and the return along the ridge offered new and quite glorious perspectives to the south. Finally, on to Calders, and the long direct descent to the right of Settlebeck Gill finally brought me back to Sedbergh at just after 2pm. The superlatives for this walk are really justified. According to two chaps I met on Randy Gill, Wainwright referred to these beautiful rolling hills as 'Sleeping Elephants'. I can see what he means.
One word of note, the walk included 4000 feet of ascent over 13 miles so it is quite demanding. Nice town Sedbergh - and great occasional buses!
The Calf.jpg
West to Fell Head from The Calf
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Rodhumphreys
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:154
Wainwrights:95   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland