walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Gable and Kirk Fell from Wasdale Head

Great Gable and Kirk Fell from Wasdale Head

Postby gld73 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:32 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great Gable, Kirk Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Gable, Kirk Fell

Date walked: 11/01/2022

Time taken: 4.7

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1100m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Good weather forecast and no hospital visits, gave me a day to get out and do some bigger hills. Still only managed a late morning start, but enough time to get to Wasdale; thought I'd do Illgill Head and Whin Rig again, but at the last minute decided to continue up to Wasdale Head and do Great Gable and Kirk Fell as they looked surprisingly snow free (the couple of mild days after the snow had cleared things amazingly quickly). Cracking day out, memorable for an utterly deafening, internal-organ-rattling low fly by of 2 jets when I was in clag right at the summit of Great Gable, and the 2 very steep descents.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC8084.JPG
Kirk Fell and Great Gable from the Wasdale Head car park. Quite a few cars for a weekday in January, but it was a good forecast

APDC8088.JPG
View down on Lingmell Beck and back to Wasdale Head as I took the path up the valley to tackle Great Gable first

APDC8090.JPG
Reaching the Mountain Rescue box, looking back towards Lingmell. Headed up Great Gable from here on a clear path.

APDC8091.JPG
Headed NW up Great Gable, this was looking down on Styhead Tarn (beneath Seathwaite Fell)

APDC8092.JPG
Summit of Great Gable was in cloud unfortunately so none of the stunning views. Very low flying jets had me curling up in a ball with my fingers in my ears at this point, almost felt and sounded like they were close enough to touch!

APDC8094.JPG
Decided to take the very steep direct route down towards the pass between Kirk Fell and Great Gable, though KF also in cloud now

APDC8095.JPG
Wastwater on left, Kirk Fell centre, Ennerdale valley on right

APDC8096.JPG
Wastwater

APDC8098.JPG
Kirk Fell (whilst still heading steeply and slowly down Great Gable...)

APDC8100.JPG
Made it down safely and across the col to start up Kirk Fell. By now the cloud had cleared from Great Gable and I could see where I'd come down - the steep, rocky then scree 'path' down the middle of this picture. Not a route I'd have looked at from here and considered taking tbh!

APDC8101.JPG
Roughly followed a line of old fence posts across Kirk Fell's plateau to head towards the summit (this view looking back roughly east to Great Gable)

APDC8102.JPG
Continuing across the bumps of the plateau towards the summit

APDC8103.JPG
Towards Buttermere valley, Grasmoor in centre (High Crag and High Stile I think on the left ridge)

APDC8104.JPG
Kirk Fell summit

APDC8107.JPG
Start of the steep descent down towards Black Sail Pass

APDC8108.JPG
On a longer day in summer, I'd have happily continued along the ridge to Pillar

APDC8109.JPG
Pillar from Black Sail Pass

APDC8110.JPG
The way I'd come down Kirk Fell - doesn't look as steep as it felt

APDC8111.JPG
Setting off down towards Mosedale

APDC8112.JPG
Snow melt meant Gatherstone Beck had a fair bit of water coming down it - definitely needed a walking pole to help balance on rocks to keep dry feet

APDC8113.JPG
Nice walk out through Mosedale in the evening sun

APDC8114.JPG
Nearing the end of the walk, Wasdale Head in sight

APDC8116.JPG
Kirk Fell and Great Gable, both clear of cloud by the time I'd finished the walk
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Great Gable and Kirk Fell from Wasdale Head

Postby ChrisLP » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:11 pm

Nice write up. If there is an easy way down Kirk Fell I've yet to find it myself.
ChrisLP
Mountain Walker

Munros:108   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:6

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland