walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gragareth and Great Coum from Leck

Gragareth and Great Coum from Leck

Postby Rodhumphreys » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:36 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Gragareth, Great Coum

Date walked: 16/01/2022

Time taken: 2.3

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 390m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Reasonably early on a Sunday morning in January, I drove up the minor road from Leck on to Leck Fell, to park on the grass just before the gate to Leck House (lots of Leck!). The walk up to Gragareth starts on the 400 metre contour line and so the direct ascent from the gate, past the cairns and the Three Men of Gragareth, delivers the first summit within 30 minutes. Now, I think the views from the ridge heading north to Great Coum would normally be very rewarding, especially with the sight of Whernside in profile to the east. However, it was not to be as the clouds sat low on the fell at around 500 metres. This means of course that instead of enjoying the expansive views, one tends to focus instead on the rather damp feet resulting from an occasional series of waterlogged grassy areas. The route to Great Coum follows the ridge wall with a clear track on the west side. I have a sense that this would be rather pleasant underfoot in the summer. Even in January there were some quite long stretches on relatively dry grass. This is one of those walks where you know you are unlikely to see anyone, so with the cloud down, and the views limited, I decided to curtail the intended circular for a nicer day. So, instead of dropping off the ridge from Crag Hill towards Bullpot farm, I headed back from the top of Great Coum towards Gragareth, but then dropped down to the shooting hut path on the 530 contour line, as I reckoned I might actually emerge out of the cloud. And, indeed, I did. Looking back towards Great Coum and Crag Hill, the clouds lifted, I should have stayed in bed a bit longer! Crag Hill actually looks higher than Great Coum, but that is because it is a little nearer. The view across the moor towards Bullpot farm reveals the line of the path from the bottom of the ridge across to Ease Gill. It looks good, but that is for another time. My rather unexciting route takes me back on an ever improving track, to just above Leck House and the parking area.
Great Coum.jpg
Great Coum from Leck Fell
Rodhumphreys
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:154
Wainwrights:95   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland