walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Finding the quiet side of Whernside.

Finding the quiet side of Whernside.

Postby martin.h » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:36 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Whernside

Date walked: 15/01/2022

Time taken: 5

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 605m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We hadn't had a walk on Whernside for a couple of years so, as a way of getting out for some fresh air, a walk in the Dales over familiar ground would need no planning. The forecast was reasonable so our Whernside/Ingleborough route from Ribblehead, a walk we've done many times, would fit the bill nicely. With no need to go into work Saturday a.m our minds were made up :D

The drive up to Ribblehead takes just over an hour from home so we arrived reasonably early, 08:45 and were surprised to see how busy it was, there's a large layby by the junction with the B6479 and B6255 at Ribblehead, that was full, all the parking by the Station Pub was taken so we used the verge parking on the left just a little further on heading in the Hawes direction, even this was getting full, it's been much improved and expanded over the years so there's plenty of parking available but, wow, 09:00 and not so much room left :shock: I wonder what it's like in the summer nowadays :lol:

We were off towards the viaduct by 09:10 following several groups of varying sizes,

it was going to be busy but at least we were out, our first day in the hills 2022 and we were looking forward to it :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We followed the Three Peaks path which initially runs alongside the railway, if you're lucky, really really lucky you may time it when there's a Settle to Carlisle steam train passing :D we've only ever been lucky once but it is an incredible sight because the railway is really close to the path here.

And Ingleborough looks good too

Whernside

Distant Pen-y-Ghent

It's a well graded path all the way to the summit, this has been improved since we were here just a couple of years ago, I can remember when I first did the Three Peaks back in 1977 this was not the recognised route then, in those days it was a direct assault up the face of the hill behind Gunnerfleet Farm, it was a very boggy route, especially in it's initial stages, it's still marked on the map but I don't think anybody uses it today, it was quite a lung buster :shock:

The forecast was not quite as good as promised but, higher up, we were getting some nice views.

On the summit there were a few people about but not as many as we thought judging by the line of walkers we could see when we were lower down, the views were getting better :D

The Howgills

and we even managed to sit down in one of the shelters on the summit :D it was going to be busy on the way to Chapel-le-Dale so instead of doing Ingleborough again we decided to do something a little different and travel in the opposite direction and go and have a look at Whernside Tarns, on the map the A Pennine Journey path passes the tarns so we thought it would be nice to go down to them, have lunch, then carry on to join the
Craven Way/Dales High Way @SD746845.

The path sets off on the opposite side of the wall to our ascent so we didn't have to dodge the people coming up. There's a gate in the wall lower down so no problem getting over it and we were soon on our way to Knoutberry Hill.

Wall views

Great Coum

By the time we reached the tarns it was getting brighter, there's loads of boulders near them so we even had some nice seating arrangements for our lunch :D
It was nice and quiet, we only saw two other people, a total contrast to our ascent, we spent half a hour just sitting and having lunch, the sun was out by now, it was nice just being somewhere a bit different, in the fresh air and off the beaten track, it'll be a good spot on a warm summers day.

After lunch we walked around the tarns then set off down to the Craven Way.

Back towards Whernside

Watery views

Not a great shot because of the flat ground, that's Calf Top to the right in the distance

On the the Craven Way/Dales Highway we turned right and followed it back to Ribblehead,

looking over to Great Knoutberry Hill I was hatching an idea for our next day out in the Dales, Great Knoutberry Hill from Ribblehead via Blea Moor :D

When we got to the turn off point for Whernside there were still a few groups on their way up so still
busy :shock:

Viaduct close up :D

A nice day out including Whernsides quieter side :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Finding the quiet side of Whernside.

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:56 pm

So that's what the view is like from the top of Whernside!

I detoured off the Dales High Way in October as the route seemed to be climbing the lower slopes of the hill anyway, glad I did but I could only see about 40 yards ahead of me on the higher slopes. The last 300 - 400 yards was the flattest walk to a hill top I can remember.

Really nice part of the country to be able to walk in.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby martin.h » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:38 pm

Gordie12 wrote:So that's what the view is like from the top of Whernside!

I detoured off the Dales High Way in October as the route seemed to be climbing the lower slopes of the hill anyway, glad I did but I could only see about 40 yards ahead of me on the higher slopes. The last 300 - 400 yards was the flattest walk to a hill top I can remember.

Really nice part of the country to be able to walk in.

Thank you Gordie
Whernside is a good viewpoint, it may give the best views in the Dales especially over to the Howgills, Pennines and the Lakes etc.
That last 3 or 400 yds to the summit is very welcome when you're doing the Three Peaks :lol: it just rubs it in a little when you can see Ingleborough and you've still got to get up there :shock:

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:36 pm

This was my view Martin.

24.JPG
Looking..........somewhere
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby problemplay » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:43 am

Another very quiet option for Whernside is to park at Dent and head up the Flintergill track uphill out of the village.

At the top turn left along the old Occupational road and continue until you meet the gated Kingsdale Road which goes over from Deepdale into Thornton in Lonsdale. Here you turn right, go a hundred yards or so then head up the steep western side of Whernside. You start hearing people at the summit long before you see it! From the top you can then head down through the tarns like you did here, but turn left at the Dales High Way track and follow the lanes back to Dent.
problemplay

Munros:68   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:88   Islands:10

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland